PDA

View Full Version : Any clases available to learn irrigation?

Eileenc
08-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi Everyone - I live in NY and am a certified backflow tester x 12 years. Im now interested in taking classes, training, attending seminars etx... to learn irrigation. Any ideas? Thanks Eileen

Wet_Boots
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
This is it! The Howard Knox School of Advanced Irrigation, with a minor in sarcasm.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-04-2008, 09:41 PM
HI Eileen, Welcome to the forum

My name is Eddie and this is WB, and he just said welcome to the irrigation forum.....

I went to Rainbird school last year, and a school in Texas the year before...Honestly the best way to learn is to offer your services to someone and they can allow you to tag along in the trench for a while..
Search this message board, there are some great pictures and I have a fair amount of videos doing some tutorials..

http://www.youtube.com/user/crazybugbrah

Mike Leary
08-04-2008, 10:08 PM
HI Eileen, Welcome to the forum]

Welcome also, Boots and ROTAR will be of big help. :rolleyes:

treborie
08-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Where in New York do you live? Check with Atlatic Irrigation - they sometimes offer workshops, or check with the New York State Turf and Landscape Association.

txgrassguy
08-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Welcome Eileen to this hoary group.
I'd recommend checking out your local community college or better yet your local Golf Course Superintendents Association.
Yes golf course irrigation is at a large scale but the actual physics remain the same.
These guys will know guys who know reputable vendors that may actually have valuable input towards what classes would be the most efficacious towards your intended use with this knowledge.

Eileenc
08-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Hey Rob - I live in ther Nasau County area. Thanks for the reply. Plz keep me posted with any other ideas.

Eileenc
08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the great ideas

cpel2004
08-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Look at rain bird, or toro website one of them offer cources on irrigation from start to finish.

Mike Leary
08-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Hey Rob - I live in ther Nasau County area. Thanks for the reply. Plz keep me posted with any other ideas.

Try spell check, Eileen. By the way that's a great name, Gordon Lightfoot
and Stan Rogers would have written about you, if they'd known.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Couple of dudes here that don't normally post??????

Mike Leary
08-04-2008, 10:57 PM
I think we need to see some pics of Eileen's last backflow test.

Stuttering Stan
08-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Couple of dudes here that don't normally post??????

Are you afraid of losing your KING OF THE HILL status to some newbies:). I have been learching around for a few months reading all these treads. Just haven't posted because I am out of the click. By the looks of it, I am not the only one:waving:

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Are you afraid of losing your KING OF THE HILL status to some newbies:). I have been learching around for a few months reading all these treads. Just haven't posted because I am out of the click. By the looks of it, I am not the only one:waving:

another non posting dude. Eileen brings the winners out of the woodwork. Didn't WB just post your avatar?

Stuttering Stan
08-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Ok, I'll go back into the woodwork. See you after my winter hibernation*trucewhiteflag*

DanaMac
08-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Try your local wholesale suppliers - Ewing, John deere Landscapes, etc. Not sure what you have in your area.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Ok, I'll go back into the woodwork. See you after my winter hibernation*trucewhiteflag*

NOOOOOOOOO DON"T DO THAT. We like sarcasm and reality checks. Post on the howling PVB thread its funnnnnnny.

Stuttering Stan
08-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Getting back to the subject, I have found irrigationtutorials.com very informative for a puke like myself. The regulars on here are experts and talk over my head most of the time. But I like to look at posted pictures.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Getting back to the subject, I have found irrigationtutorials.com very informative for a puke like myself. The regulars on here are experts and talk over my head most of the time. But I like to look at posted pictures.

I looked at your profile and your hobby is sitting in a treestand. I take it you deer hunt?

Stuttering Stan
08-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I looked at your profile and your hobby is sitting in a treestand. I take it you deer hunt?
No, I have a fetish about looking up at the clouds when I am 25 ft off the ground!!! Yea, I deer hunt as much as possible, but a newborn has thrown a kink into those plans. Are things like this supposed to be PM'ed?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-04-2008, 11:42 PM
No, I have a fetish about looking up at the clouds when I am 25 ft off the ground!!! Yea, I deer hunt as much as possible, but a newborn has thrown a kink into those plans. Are things like this supposed to be PM'ed?

Yeah I guess.

Stuttering Stan
08-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Eileen, reading the sticky at the very top also gives good in-depth info. People have posted their personal product reviews and also references that will keep you reading for the next year.

Waterit
08-05-2008, 12:40 AM
irrigationtutorials.com

There it is.

lowvolumejeff
08-05-2008, 03:17 AM
Hi, and I will ditto Rotars recommendation of working with someone in the field. I took a course at a local community college, and along with Pete Melby's book "Simplified Irrigation Design" invaluable. If you have not yet discovered it, Jess Stryker's site http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/ is worth spending several days reading.

Have found a thick skin is helpful, as well as calloused hands.

Jeff

AI Inc
08-05-2008, 06:39 AM

No real need for PM,s , we are the hijack kings in here.