PDA

View Full Version : Bob-Cat Not cutting well?????

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I just bought a used Bob-Cat Zt ?219?, I'm pretty sure its a 219, the mower is at my partners house and i just cant remember. Anyways we cut two lawns with it today and it completely scalped both yards. We then noticed the anti-scalp wheels where in the 2 1/2 in. setting so we moved them to the 2 1/2 -3 1/2 setting. Now the yard wasnt being scalped, but it wasnt leaving a nice looking cut or laying any stripes either. I dont know what the deal is, arn't bob-cats supposed to stripe very well. If anyone can help me with this problem that would be great! What do I need to do to have a better cut and lay down some stripes (I know I can purchase a roller for it, but I have seen tons of these mowers stripe very well without one).

Thanks
Ryan

Genlandscape
08-04-2008, 09:05 PM
If you move your rollers up, it should allow the deck to drop lower therefore scalping worse. About stripes don't do those here. Does this machine have a floating deck, if so check your spring tension, tension too high/ deck will bounce/ there go your stripes. Is this a ztr or wb? not familiar w/ b-cats.

cbegap
08-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I have a ZT219. When I got mine I read the owner's manual and had to adjust the front to back pitch of the deck (I think Bob-cat says 1/8 inch, others brands 1/4 etc). Then i tried to get the height as close as I could to what the adjusting arm states. I couldn't get it to match so I called Bobcat and the guy said he wished the adjusting arm simply had numbers on it instead of mowing inches. There is no way to get it correct on every adjustment because it is a non-linear cam that moves the deck. Anyway, adjust the deck, check tire pressure, check blade type and sharpness. My Bob cat runs funky "gull wing" shape blades. They are part# 111112-01 (48"), 111112-02 (52"), and 111112-03 (61"). Lastly, was it a nice lawn? I'm not trying to make excuses for the machine, but crappy grass and weeds = a crappy looking cut IMHO. Stalks, clover and dandelions piss me off because they tend to leave a lot of stragglers. Mine happened to have a roller kit on it which I love, so I can't say much about what it would look like without one. The best part is that even though it is in the rear of the deck it still acts like one gigantic anti-scalp roller which I think works better than the little ones on the corners. Hope this helps.

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
08-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I have a ZT219. When I got mine I read the owner's manual and had to adjust the front to back pitch of the deck (I think Bob-cat says 1/8 inch, others brands 1/4 etc). Then i tried to get the height as close as I could to what the adjusting arm states. I couldn't get it to match so I called Bobcat and the guy said he wished the adjusting arm simply had numbers on it instead of mowing inches. There is no way to get it correct on every adjustment because it is a non-linear cam that moves the deck. Anyway, adjust the deck, check tire pressure, check blade type and sharpness. My Bob cat runs funky "gull wing" shape blades. They are part# 111112-01 (48"), 111112-02 (52"), and 111112-03 (61"). Lastly, was it a nice lawn? I'm not trying to make excuses for the machine, but crappy grass and weeds = a crappy looking cut IMHO. Stalks, clover and dandelions piss me off because they tend to leave a lot of stragglers. Mine happened to have a roller kit on it which I love, so I can't say much about what it would look like without one. The best part is that even though it is in the rear of the deck it still acts like one gigantic anti-scalp roller which I think works better than the little ones on the corners. Hope this helps.

I do not understand what you are saying...am I supposed to lower the front part of the (Floating) deck 1/8 in down? Then I dont understand what you mean by ajusting it to the arm states.:confused: And yes the grass was nice that we cut, thick lush green lawn that had deep stripes from our walkbehind we used to cut it with before. Also I did notice those wierd blades on the mower... they almost look like they are bent, but they were just built in a wierd shape.

Thanks
Ryan

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
08-05-2008, 10:42 AM
If you move your rollers up, it should allow the deck to drop lower therefore scalping worse. About stripes don't do those here. Does this machine have a floating deck, if so check your spring tension, tension too high/ deck will bounce/ there go your stripes. Is this a ztr or wb? not familiar w/ b-cats.

Yes the machine has a floating deck, and is a ztr.. how do I know how loose or how tight to have the springs? I did notice the deck bouncing around a lot.

Thanks
Ryan

prizeprop
08-05-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm not totally sure I understand, so I'll say this. Our 52"/23hp rider cuts lower than our stander at the same height setting ,if you want to cut grass at 3.5" put it on 4.25 or so. Try this, just my observation.Your probably just cutting to low.

Allens LawnCare
08-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Yes the machine has a floating deck, and is a ztr.. how do I know how loose or how tight to have the springs? I did notice the deck bouncing around a lot.

Thanks
Ryan

I don't have a bobcat but I think you should go onto thier website with your serial number and download the owners manual, and the maintenence manual....Read them bot and you'll understand better what everyone is talking about.

cbegap
08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
The deck is suspended from the mower from 4 chains and attached at the rear of the deck with a system that keeps the deck square with the chassis. You use the adjusting screws at the top of the chains to raise or lower the deck. The top of the deck (not the blades) should be pitched nose down 1/8". This ensures the leading edge of the blade is cutting. Make sure it is level left to right. The manual confused the crap out of me about cut height, so I just put the mower on 3.5 inch and measured from the front of the blade at its lowest point to the floor. Mine measured 3" +/-. That's when I called Bob-cat. They basically said ignore the numbers. Set the deck and measure the blades on several settings above and below the setting you use the most and remember them. The numbers on the lever don't match up with reality by a quarter to half inch or so depending on the setting. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the blade height to match the lever indicator. My understanding is that this isn't unique to Bob-cat. Cutting with the front edge of the blade makes a huge difference. Pull a push mower backwards to demonstrate. It leaves the clippings all over. Push it forward and it looks much better.

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
The deck is suspended from the mower from 4 chains and attached at the rear of the deck with a system that keeps the deck square with the chassis. You use the adjusting screws at the top of the chains to raise or lower the deck. The top of the deck (not the blades) should be pitched nose down 1/8". This ensures the leading edge of the blade is cutting. Make sure it is level left to right. The manual confused the crap out of me about cut height, so I just put the mower on 3.5 inch and measured from the front of the blade at its lowest point to the floor. Mine measured 3" +/-. That's when I called Bob-cat. They basically said ignore the numbers. Set the deck and measure the blades on several settings above and below the setting you use the most and remember them. The numbers on the lever don't match up with reality by a quarter to half inch or so depending on the setting. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the blade height to match the lever indicator. My understanding is that this isn't unique to Bob-cat. Cutting with the front edge of the blade makes a huge difference. Pull a push mower backwards to demonstrate. It leaves the clippings all over. Push it forward and it looks much better.

Ok now I see what your saying:hammerhead:. I'll try theses new things out tom. and post some feedback. How do you like your roller, does it leave some good stripes?Where did you get it from? Also Where do you have your anti-scalp wheels set at, the 3 1/2 and above setting or what.

Thanks
Ryan:walking:

supercuts
08-05-2008, 09:14 PM
put the deck wheels back where they were and lift the deck up to a higher setting, the wheels are not meant to ride on the ground, only keep the deck off the ground should the pitch of the terrain very quickly and keep the metal deck from digging into the ground.

cbegap
08-05-2008, 10:39 PM
I have the black rollers set to 2.5-3.5 I think. I never cut lower than that. the striper was on the machine when I got it. It helps stripe nicely. There is a fine line with having it set too low as it bounces over ever irregularity in the yard. The lower it is set, the better it stripes. Set it too high and you really see the wheel marks more than you should.

CutNLawns
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
I have (3) 61" Predator Pros and a 72" also and have no issues with a nice cut. As CEBGAP mention ignore the numbers on the deck lift as they do not reflect mowing inches. I set all mine up just like he did and run mine in the 3.5 and 4 settings and they are all the same. (#4 setting equals 3-5/8" blade to level floor). I run gator blades most of the time #90-721 or the standard flat high lift blades that come on them. Asw far as stripe they all stripe great. The stripe kits (just a straight bar) from Bobcat are complete junk and the rollers are expensive. I run 5/16" chains on mine and they work great and just glide over any obsticles without catching. Bought the materials local and bolted everything right on. Just replace my first set of chains on one this year after 1050 hrs. You can kinda see them in the picture to get the idea.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/2500HD/Bobcatonhill1.jpg

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
I have (3) 61" Predator Pros and a 72" also and have no issues with a nice cut. As CEBGAP mention ignore the numbers on the deck lift as they do not reflect mowing inches. I set all mine up just like he did and run mine in the 3.5 and 4 settings and they are all the same. (#4 setting equals 3-5/8" blade to level floor). I run gator blades most of the time #90-721 or the standard flat high lift blades that come on them. Asw far as stripe they all stripe great. The stripe kits (just a straight bar) from Bobcat are complete junk and the rollers are expensive. I run 5/16" chains on mine and they work great and just glide over any obsticles without catching. Bought the materials local and bolted everything right on. Just replace my first set of chains on one this year after 1050 hrs. You can kinda see them in the picture to get the idea.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/2500HD/Bobcatonhill1.jpg

How long is each chain? I'm Thinking of trying that

Thanks
Ryan

CutNLawns
08-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Its 5/16 chain and they are 20 links long loops spaced 1.5" apart bolted to a piece of 1.5x1.5 aluminum angle. the angle is bolted to the rear of the frame. And no the loops do not catch on anything as you would think.

Allens LawnCare
08-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Do you really want a mower if you need to do all that stuff to it.......Quick question about the bob cats cutting height, do you have deck adjustment springs

cbegap
08-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Decks need to be set on all floating machines from what I understand. They are set from the factory and or the dealer. Some people monkey with them, never double check them, or the dealer doesn't know any more than we do. That would be the only time it really needs to be changed. Yes they do have springs, but they only help counter balance the deck so you can easily move it up or down. They should be adjusted so they are about 8 inches long while under tension. Mine works so well, I really don't know why you would want a foot peddle.