PDA

View Full Version : if you cant beat em join em

oakhillslandscaping
08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
well i had enough of fighting with my dad plus lack of work so im putting my business on hold and decided to get a job with one of the biggest landscape companies in my area 150 employees, around 40 trucks, 3 bark blowers 7 front end loaders the list goes on and on last year they did 23 million in business and the majority of it was all maintance these guys are good and are extremely hard to beat on a bid so long story short here are a couple pics of theyre fleet

shethinksmytractors_sexy
08-04-2008, 08:46 PM
dayuuummm. them are some nice trucks and alot of em

KrayzKajun
08-04-2008, 08:51 PM
wow! use the time to gain knowledge and expierence

Junior M
08-04-2008, 09:03 PM
ddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is all i got to say!!!!!! holy crap!! i bet that man is bald from all the stress!!

razor1
08-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Sounds like a good idea, maybe they'll pay for some job related "schooling". Good Luck! :usflag:

lawnpro2210
08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
:eek:WOW Thats insane

Green Finger
08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
well i had enough of fighting with my dad plus lack of work so im putting my business on hold and decided to get a job with one of the biggest landscape companies in my area 150 employees, around 40 trucks, 3 bark blowers 7 front end loaders the list goes on and on last year they did 23 million in business and the majority of it was all maintance these guys are good and are extremely hard to beat on a bid so long story short here are a couple pics of theyre fleet

There will always be adversity starting out in this business. If you are joining the enemy :nono: because you have to do what you are doing to take care of you and your family more power to you.

But if you are joining the darkside out of spite because you are mad with Dad, Shame on you:cry: Those trucks didn't just pop up over night. They had to go through adversity too.

I wish my dad was in the business and taught me a thing or two.

Nope I had to learn things by trial and error. Lots of errors.

STIHL GUY
08-04-2008, 09:26 PM
holy crap that is a lot of trucks

oakhillslandscaping
08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
well this job is for a lot reasons, and the fighting with my dad is more then i care to get into and more then you want to hear haha but long story short we lost some key accounts this summer plus some family problems so i took the job thanks for the comments if i was allowed to bring a camera in i would

deere615
08-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Wow nice trucks they choose a good brand:weightlifter: lol

syzer
08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Sure wish I did that before starting! Unlike the fellow above, I like to learn from OTHER peoples errors.

If its possible, please post pics of how the trucks/trailers are set up, equipment, how the shop is set up, etc.

How did they handle you as a new hire if you dont mind me asking, if you want, pm me.

LawnMowerKing10
08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
what brand and kind of mowers do they use?

02DURAMAX
08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Thats awesome lots of trucks!!!!

RedMax Man
08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Yep i see those guys around here most by Rout 3 and in Hollis NH. Didn't know they were quite that big though.

Another crazy huge co. is Greener Landscaping which does anything from excavation to maintenance.

Green Finger
08-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I wish you well. Learn all you can. Save your money, Keep credit straight. And if you decide to go out on your own again. You will have gained some serious knowledge. Don't sign a non compete clause.

Congrats.

Dean of Green
08-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Hey it's a small world. Be careful posting pics if you don't have their permission. I know if I owned that company I would be put off, to say the least, at seeing those pics online.

Metro Lawn
08-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Nice fleet. Here is a pic from the Morin's website.

oakhillslandscaping
08-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Yep i see those guys around here most by Rout 3 and in Hollis NH. Didn't know they were quite that big though.

Another crazy huge co. is Greener Landscaping which does anything from excavation to maintenance.

they work from bedford Ma. all the way up to manchester NH its crazy, and they use husqvarna mowers and echo power tools and they buy every thing in multiples of 5 or more and they have 5 full time mechanics which is typical with a fleet of GMC's hahahahaha and two second shift small engine mechanics

DoetschOutdoor
08-05-2008, 09:26 AM
And your dad wont let you take a camera in? How big was your operation when you were on your own?

Impressions Landscaping
08-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I do a ton of work around the area where those guys are located. They are pretty legit, a lot of trucks, a lot of work, all their stuff is nice, very very nice. Good luck with the new job!

kreft
08-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Hows the job going? What are you doing there?

lifetree
08-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I have to go along with everyone else in this thread ... that's a very nice operation !!

LawnMowerKing10
08-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Not to be a pain but any more pics???????

Supper Grassy
08-07-2008, 11:12 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! thats alot of trucks

oakhillslandscaping
08-07-2008, 05:22 PM
haha the job is going pretty good my camera phone was died the other day over night and i apologize because i was doing a stonewall and driving a brand new GMC 3500 HD which i must say is an awsome truck to ride in but terrible to tow with cause its gas but ill bring my camera tomorow and take pics of whatever im doing here is a pic of my pruning rig

Green Team Landscaping
08-07-2008, 05:25 PM
WAY TO GO MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORINS!!!!!!!!!!!! They'ye probably one of the biggest companies in the country. No doubt. Good luck to you! You'll stick right out with those mexicans.

Green Team Landscaping
08-07-2008, 05:28 PM
ddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is all i got to say!!!!!! holy crap!! i bet that man is bald from all the stress!!
Lol i think he actually is. My grandpa is good friends with the owner.

oakhillslandscaping
08-08-2008, 06:47 PM
here are pics from my job today my truck that came with two mexican H2-b workers, kubota that we have like 5 of the same setups, the house and the spot we layed with sod enjoy

Junior M
08-08-2008, 07:11 PM
hmmmm that kubota looks like an awesome thing to run!

LawnMowerKing10
08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
any of the mowing rig?

TXNSLighting
08-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Thats a lota trucks! good times! keep some pics comin!

Kennedy Landscaping
08-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I agree, that is one huge a** fleet!

mag360
08-10-2008, 01:47 AM
WAY TO GO MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORINS!!!!!!!!!!!! They'ye probably one of the biggest companies in the country. No doubt. Good luck to you! You'll stick right out with those mexicans.

You stick right out as soon as you start taking days off because the mexicans will be showing up consistently.

Az Gardener
08-10-2008, 01:45 PM
How many employees does that company have? Good decision to get away from your dad no job/business is worth damaging that relationship. My son works for me and I always have to consider our relationship before business decisions. Pay attention to how they do things the process not just the steps this can be a very valuable experience if you pay attention.

PerfectEarth
08-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Wise choice and it looks like a great company! I checked out their website and it is awesome! Not a bunch of fluff and BS- you really believe that they can do great work. The site is well-explained and very professional.

Good luck with them- I'm sure you'll learn tons and come out a better landscaper!

bakerc8
08-30-2008, 01:06 PM
lots of trucks and get some of themowing truck

oakhillslandscaping
08-30-2008, 07:01 PM
the trucks in the first and second pick all have 20ft trailers behind them and those are the mowing trucks ,our construction fleet consists of 4 brand new GMCs like the ones seen along with two 6 wheel international dump trucks we have 50 something trucks we have 5 2wd gmcs 2500s for the account supervisors and two s10s for the mechanics to make service calls and 3 4wd gmc 2500s that the division managers drive and then the owner has a porche SUV and a GMC tahoe

LawnMowerKing10
08-30-2008, 10:16 PM
any mowing crew pics oak hills landscaping?

LawnMowerKing10
08-30-2008, 10:21 PM
any mowing crew pics oak hills landscaping?

Riley Lawn Service
09-01-2008, 01:13 AM
i dont think that any other company in your area could compete with that kind of a fleet. my god that is crazy. i would kill to work for a company like that! :hammerhead: :angel:

RedMax Man
09-01-2008, 09:41 AM
i dont think that any other company in your area could compete with that kind of a fleet. my god that is crazy. i would kill to work for a company like that! :hammerhead: :angel:

If your talking bout Morin's they do have some big competitors. As far as i know Greener is bigger. they're in MA and NH.

oakhillslandscaping
09-01-2008, 11:47 AM
its very easy to compete with us because of our size however there are many companies larger then us that cover mass and new hampshire combined. hopefully in a few years my company "Oak Hills" will be a large company as well but not that big its not worth it in my opinion from what i have seen working at Morins

J&R Landscaping
09-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Nice pictures. Thats got to be a great learning experience!

oakhillslandscaping
09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
hahahaha well after all this i must admit im giving my notice on friday there is way more to this company then it looks cant take it at least i got some solo work lined up for a little while

LawnMowerKing10
09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
oak hills can u post some pics of a mowing crew?

oakhillslandscaping
09-03-2008, 07:59 PM
mowing crew? like the guys i work with or what we have for mowers sorry i left you hangin on your last post

LawnMowerKing10
09-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Like pics of the mowers and and truck

oakhillslandscaping
09-04-2008, 06:58 PM
here you go my crew has exmarks which are the companies last set because im new and everyone else runs huskies except for two sit down mowers which are also exmark

oakhillslandscaping
09-04-2008, 07:01 PM
here is the truck that pulls the three mowers this is not usually my truck however this is one of the better ones at the company we have fair amount that are trashed as far as motors and that trailer is brand new

LawnMowerKing10
09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I hate asking for so much but any of the huski ztr's... Do you guys use the kombi deck?

oakhillslandscaping
09-04-2008, 10:34 PM
we have only husqvarna WB they have adjustable decks over all decent machine lot of pros and a lot of cons hahaha dont worry lawnmowerking ill try and get one for you i usually dont see them unless mine breaks or im running a big mow with multiple crews

Tony Clifton
09-05-2008, 08:17 AM
So why are you leaving?

oakhillslandscaping
09-05-2008, 04:01 PM
im leaving for a few reasons there is a lot of B.S. at this company everything in the trailers has legs, im on the maintaince division to which i was supposed to be on the construction division, my supervisor doesnt like me and gives me crap everyday ie.my mower caught on fire and i asked for a another one and they told me to bad start pulling weeds and they brought in another crew and made my crew pull weeds for the rest of the day which was about a 6hours of pulling weeds, every time i go in in the morning i have someone else broken string trimmer, missing gas cans just pure B.S., AND i just got a 35k job and another 8k job and im only making 13 bucks an hour there

LawnMowerKing10
09-05-2008, 06:30 PM
oak hills your leaving morris?

mag360
09-05-2008, 07:18 PM
im leaving for a few reasons there is a lot of B.S. at this company everything in the trailers has legs, im on the maintaince division to which i was supposed to be on the construction division, my supervisor doesnt like me and gives me crap everyday ie.my mower caught on fire and i asked for a another one and they told me to bad start pulling weeds and they brought in another crew and made my crew pull weeds for the rest of the day which was about a 6hours of pulling weeds, every time i go in in the morning i have someone else broken string trimmer, missing gas cans just pure B.S., AND i just got a 35k job and another 8k job and im only making 13 bucks an hour there

That's what happens in a large company.
Why wouldn't the supervisor like you?

nobagger
09-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh some day,lol.

oakhillslandscaping
09-06-2008, 09:13 AM
well he doesnt like me cause the first day i worked under him we got in an arguement haha and ever since then he has been a jerk to me, he accused me of hitting a house with the side of one of the husqavarna mowers with the adjustable hieght lever, however i didnt becuase the mower he said i hit the house with wasnt even in my trailer until three days later

mag360
09-06-2008, 11:04 AM
well he doesnt like me cause the first day i worked under him we got in an arguement haha and ever since then he has been a jerk to me, he accused me of hitting a house with the side of one of the husqavarna mowers with the adjustable hieght lever, however i didnt becuase the mower he said i hit the house with wasnt even in my trailer until three days later

Too bad. It's hard to get past a first impression. Those walk behinds are one of the things husqvarna did right. The single lever deck height adjustment has become the standard for new machines (and for good reason too).