PDA

View Full Version : Weedmat-Pro's-con's?

hexfactor
08-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I've done a couple of Mulch flower bed jobs and ive been using the 15 year weedmat. The beds ive done were terribly neglected so i had to go through the dirt with a fine tooth comb to remove roots and weeds. afterwards, i'd give it a good dousing with roundup and cover with weedmat and mulch. Sound about right, or am i going to have problems? And while i've got ya, is roundup pro worth the $169.00 per concentrate container?
Thanks

LushGreenLawn
08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
We don't use the weed mats, they are for homwowners. The weed seeds will just germinate on top in the mulch anyway. I would have simply used a string trimmer to trim the weeds, and then spray with roundup. Especially if I were putting a mat on top. Why pull all uf the weeds, and then spray round up. Round Up does not prevent weeds in any fashion. I finish with a pre-emergent such as Snapshot or Surflan. Never had a problem.

BTW, I pay $80 for a 2.5 Gallon Gug of Generic RoundUp Pro, and it works just as well...

hexfactor
08-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the input LGL. Whats the name on the generic stuff you use. I'll start looking for it.

Dean of Green
08-04-2008, 10:41 PM
I agree about the weedmats. They work well for about a year. Once the mulch decomposes you will get weed growing on top of mats.

LushGreenLawn
08-04-2008, 10:53 PM
I use Glysophate Pro, From Fisher and Son, I'm not sure where else to get it, but otherwise Tractor Supply Sells Pronto Big and Tuff, I used to use it and it works great, for $99 for 2.5 gallons.

hackitdown
08-05-2008, 07:05 AM
The beds ive done were terribly neglected so i had to go through the dirt with a fine tooth comb to remove roots and weeds. afterwards, i'd give it a good dousing with roundup

I thought Roundup should be used first, and allowed to be absorbed by the plant. Then return the next day, weedwack, then mulch.

Roundup needs to be sprayed on the foliage of the plant. Once it hits the dirt, it becomes useless. At least that is what the label tells me.

My method gives a pretty good bed for over a year with minimal weeding.

Preen on top of the mulch is supposed to prevent weeds, and should help.

hexfactor
08-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Sorry, i should have specified. I used roundup with extended control. It's supposed to hang around and control for up to 4 months.

LushGreenLawn
08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Sorry, i should have specified. I used roundup with extended control. It's supposed to hang around and control for up to 4 months.

NO NO NO NO NO! Round Up with extended control will kill all of the desirable plants that are nearby. How long ago did you spray it? Have you been back since? It can even kill trees if you spray under the dripline. All of this information is on the back of the label.

topsites
08-05-2008, 09:47 PM
You have to be SUPER careful around anything states extended control, some of those chemicals contain Pramitol which is an oil-based substance that can spread! Unlike gly which dissolves in water, gly doesn't hold up but so long because as it rains it just keeps dissolving and soon it's basically gone. But any oil-based herbicides when it rains the oil floats away with the water and yes it can spread all kinds of ways, why I won't use that stuff.

In terms of ecological impact it's a bit like spreading a gallon of used motor oil around,
as far as I know Pramitol is used only in very specific cases where such control is needed.

As for generic round up, some names that come to mind are:
Credit extra
Killzall
Kleenup
and Razor pro

Genlandscape
08-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi yield killz all is available online $65.00 plus shipping.

hexfactor
08-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Alright, extended control no more. thanks for the heads up. I'll chalk that up to a dumb decision and hope for the best. if not, i'll fix it. It says "for up to four months,". If it happens, i'll reimburse for mulch job and replace plants in 4 months. I'll keep everyone posted on that one. Oh ya, and did i mention...no more extended control?

LushGreenLawn
08-06-2008, 06:57 AM
You can make your own "Extended Control" by adding Surflan to your Round-Up. Surflan is not harmful to plants, it is a pre-emergent labeled for ornamental beds.

Runner
08-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Back to the weed mat. There is absolutely no reason to use any material like this when using mulch. As a matter of fact, it is better not to. The chief purpose of a landscape fabric is to keep the stone and aggregate from dissipating down into the soil. Without it, the stuff would sink. With mulch, it doesn't matter. It all decomposes, anyway...and get refreshed every year or two, anyway. One word of advice...if and when you DO use fabric for stone, get the real stuff from a landscape supply. Don't get the home depot stuff.

hexfactor
08-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys! I went and cut the house that i sprayed today, and everything is still in great shape. i'll keep my eyes on it though. And as of right now, im done using weedmat.

Patriot Services
08-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Use weedmat under stone only and always use the top grade pro stuff. You will happy you did when the homeowner says 6 months from now" I don't really like the white stones anymore could you take them and out and put in red?" Yea! that did happen to me and I was glad I did, just picked up the edges and made " sacks o'rocks ":usflag:

jdmcat
08-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I've done a couple of Mulch flower bed jobs and ive been using the 15 year weedmat. The beds ive done were terribly neglected so i had to go through the dirt with a fine tooth comb to remove roots and weeds. afterwards, i'd give it a good dousing with roundup and cover with weedmat and mulch. Sound about right, or am i going to have problems? And while i've got ya, is roundup pro worth the $169.00 per concentrate container?
Thanks

You are wasting money if you are spraying roundup on bare dirt, as the roundup molecules bind with the dirt molecules and it becomes useless.

Thanks for the input LGL. Whats the name on the generic stuff you use. I'll start looking for it.

Buccaneer, Ranger Pro, GlyStar... there are tons of generics.

The AI in that stuff is so ridiculously low I seriously doubt its ability to control weeds for 4 months, notice they say "up to." It is possible that some leeching could occur, but unlikely since they water it down so much that the average homeowner or unlicensed applicator :nono: can't screw up too bad.