PDA

View Full Version : Quick info please

tthomass
08-05-2008, 12:15 AM
1st, I'm not excited about getting into maint but I have an extra truck and an employee that wants to do it.

We are located in a metro area (northern VA by Dulles Airport). Most houses have a MAX of 1 acre and many are valued around $800k-$1mil in what has been built in the last 5 yrs.

What is a # of lawns to shoot for in a day.......15? I'd probably have only him and a 48" walk behind and do 3 days a week as he is taking additional school for another year. If not 3 days, spread the visits out over the week but for a one day period and a realistic route..........15 fair?

I'm just wanting to run some #'s and see how it pencils out but based on that less then $40 per cut at the minimum makes me not care to venture.

mag360
08-05-2008, 12:23 AM
The problem with a mowing route is it needs to be done every week no matter what. If this guy takes one week of vacation you are cutting grass for him or upsetting customers when nobody shows.

3 days with a 48 hydro walk and 1 man crew should gross $1500 without pushing too hard. Just hope he never takes a day off.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
08-05-2008, 12:52 AM
If you could have several stops with multiple houses then 15 is very reasonable. But if not, 10-12 might be more like it.

tthomass
08-05-2008, 01:08 AM
That has come to mind.

Thanks for the reply.

tthomass
08-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Correct........of course the thing is some properties may be larger and not require the 15 daily.

I can also maybe get into annual color. Most of the homeowners are cheap on that though in this immediate area. No issue with leaf removal as there aren't any trees because of the new construction.

Pros:
-Odds/ends mulching etc to start off the season in February.
-Possible up selling....plantings/patios

Cons:
-Cheap competition and illegal companies