PDA

View Full Version : Major U.S. Landscape Contractors??

Laura
08-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Hi all;

Can anyone give me the name (or two) of U.S.-wide landscaping contractors if there are any?

If there aren't any that are U.S.-wide, do you know of any that operate at the regional scale?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Laura:canadaflag:

TPendagast
08-05-2008, 02:42 AM
TruGreen Landscare.
Brickman Group
Valley Crest

Pretty much in that order.

Wont find too much Valley Crest on the east coast.

If you want regional you need to tell me what region.

do you want construction or maintenance that would matter too

Military Lawns
08-05-2008, 04:51 AM
TruGreen Landscare.
Brickman Group
Valley Crest

Pretty much in that order.

Wont find too much Valley Crest on the east coast.

If you want regional you need to tell me what region.

do you want construction or maintenance that would matter too

Valley Crest has a huge operation here in Central Florida. Brickman is just starting to come on the scene.

DJ-

mx315
08-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Valley Crest has moved into the Florida panhandle also... started around Destin about 2-3 years ago and have been heading East from there.

JimLewis
08-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Never heard of Valley Crest. Not around Oregon I don't think.

But Brickman Group did buy out another large company a year or so ago and now have a decent presence around here now.

TruGreen Chemlawn I think is really the only one who is just about everywhere. That's your winner.

AJ Lawnscapes
08-07-2008, 08:50 AM
I hate Brickman. Bastards run a slave game. Got their white/black masta sitting/standing around with his white shirt and shorts, while the illegals they slave are doing all the work and have designated "watering" times.

No way in hell you can compete with them.

LBFmd
08-07-2008, 08:58 AM
I hate Brickman. Bastards run a slave game. Got their white/black masta sitting/standing around with his white shirt and shorts, while the illegals they slave are doing all the work and have designated "watering" times.

Thats about the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard on here. In any case back on topic.
Valley Crest has operations in Philly, Allentown, MD, they also recently bought out a large company in NC and another one in SC( they SC one was part of Omni Faclity Resources before it closed). As far as foot print of coverage. I would say Brickman for self preformed work and Trugreen for overall. Alot of trugreen locations say they do maintenance/consstruction but they are primarily spray outfits and sub out the other work under there name.

Hope this helps.

Dripit good
08-07-2008, 05:03 PM

Not well said, but sadly very true. Certainly not the most ridiculous statement you will find if you are an observer.

LBFmd
08-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Not well said, but sadly very true. Certainly not the most ridiculous statement you will find if you are an observer.

You know I cant stand them either I have seen them want a contract and price something that is $450 a cut for one guy and price it at $175 per cut and not blink and eye. But my porblem with the statement is:

1) they are not illegals they are here on legal h2B visa.
2) Referring to them like there slaves and the folks at Brickman are "there masters" is a little much. Its 2008 move into this centruy.

Many of us may not like there tatcics they way they do business, or heck the crap brown trucks but lets not make offense and untrue statements, or compare them to the "Masters" from way back when.

and Dripit your probably right about the statement, its just you see so much illegals this illegals that comments thrown around on here and honestly race doesn't have anything to do with it and assuming everyone is illegal is somewhat ignorant.

Ztwo
08-07-2008, 07:10 PM
U.S LAWNS is nation wide

CALandscapes
08-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Assuming that vehicle fleet sizes are in line with revenue, TruGreen's chemical division is the largest landscaping operation in America, as it's fleet is the third largest of ANY company in the country, third behind only FedEx and UPS.

Additionally, TruGreen's construction division also brings in somewhere in the $10's of millions per year.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-07-2008, 08:34 PM
I believe valley crest is the biggest in terms of maintanance but trugreen has the chemicals on lock.I gotta tell you if I ever got treated the way I've seen brick (white shirts) treat the amigos,I'd feel like a slave.These guys on h2b have no choice but to produce at the pace and low rate that their told.If they dont they go to mexico.The fact that some cash is being exchanged makes it no less forced labor.These guys have no chice but to produce or face going hungry at home.Sorry but any one doing this for 8 bucks an hour is a ****** or a slave.You feed your family off of it....

Dripit good
08-08-2008, 08:46 AM
You know I cant stand them either I have seen them want a contract and price something that is $450 a cut for one guy and price it at $175 per cut and not blink and eye. But my porblem with the statement is:
1) they are not illegals they are here on legal h2B visa.
2) Referring to them like there slaves and the folks at Brickman are "there masters" is a little much. Its 2008 move into this centruy.

Many of us may not like there tatcics they way they do business, or heck the crap brown trucks but lets not make offense and untrue statements, or compare them to the "Masters" from way back when.

and Dripit your probably right about the statement, its just you see so much illegals this illegals that comments thrown around on here and honestly race doesn't have anything to do with it and assuming everyone is illegal is somewhat ignorant.

This seems to be their MO. They have been ruining our market for a while. They low balled a very large office complex we have had for years by over 35%! Hard to fault the property manager as this is a significant savings for them. We know our numbers and the profit margin for this site is average. They cannot make money cutting at their price on this site, but being a half a billion dollar entity helps their plan. They will gouge on the extras once their foot is in the door.

My opinion is that there is no need for racism comments. But opinions are like noses..........everyone has one and they are all a little different from each other.

LBFmd
08-08-2008, 09:51 AM
LOL Drip I agree. the way it was explained to me is they do there miantenance at a 1%-2% profit, but if they really want the property they will do it at as much as 20 below cost. Then the sale person has to upsell a certain percentage of the total contract in extras at 45-50% profit. thats how it was explained to me a few years ago by one of there sales people. Whther its exact or not who knows but it does fit there MO.

TPendagast
08-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Having been trained by long time sales people from brickman and having bid directly against them for years, it is similar to what you are saying but not exactly.

It's a tactic.

If brickman wants to break into a certain geographical area, it would cost them a certain amount of money to"establish" a new business if they were say you and I.

Instead of doing things that way, they decide they are just going to take a "hit".
What this means is they put a truck and trailer together and go into an area and hire some local guysand put a manager froms ownehere else over them and pay his housing etc.

Anyone will loose (spend howeveryou see it) a certain amount of money to get a business established.
Brickman absorbs thses costs by going in and lowballing for awhile. What happens is the usually gobble up enough work to put say three guys out of business.
Then when they dont have any (or much competition left) they can raise their prices and be reasonably sure no one else is there to under cut them.
Of course this process doesnt always work. And sometimes ater a year or two Brickman goes away in that area.

Brickman also sells full maintenance, they are not a lawn cutting outfit.

sooo what this means is brickmans sales analysts see that a typical property owner/manager can esily identify with the price to cut grass. (almost anyone knows what is fair to cut the grass at a certain place)
Brickamn will intentionally low ball a grass cutting price, giving the customer the impression they are "less expensive" but back load what they are loosing on mowing into jobs like weeding, fertilizing, shrub and plant care, fall clean up etc.
Alot of people dont take the time to analyze the cost of PHC technicians, they glance the contract and look for something they can Identify with (lawn cutting) and say great! your cheap, we will take it!
Of course brickman signs them up for full service an makes it back and then some.
When the property manager gets called by the old service provider and is asked what happened he tells you "they cost 35% less than you" what he means is, they chrage 35% less to cut the lawn.
"Oh did you want the lawn edged, and trees trimmed around? gee you just asked for 'lawn cutting' and thats what our contract states, if you would like the lawn edged and the trees trimmed around that'll be another $X.00 sign here please."
This is basically how brickman does business (more or less)

LBFmd
08-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Somewhat what i said but much better explanation. If you think abt as much as we might hate them, its not a bad business strategy.

Thanks for the explanation

topsites
08-08-2008, 02:52 PM
All depends...
Do you want strictly US-based?

Because Trugreen and Scott's are the largest but they're also world wide...
For US only I'd have to say US Lawns and maybe Brickman.

And largest how, in terms of outlets, employees, gross revenue, number of machines or trucks, largest how?

Last but not least the term landscaping is rather broad, and wasn't this thread elsewhere already?
Sorry for the defensiveness, not really, I bristle at these questions coming from strangers due to various reasons,
and even thou yours might be a legitimate reason the simple fact is that is what they all say...

Evomr
08-22-2008, 08:15 PM
U.S LAWNS is nation wide

valley crest owns U.S lawns

Laura
08-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks so much for all of your info (and opinions).

Most interesting views on the bigger companies.

Big box stores in our area operate in a similar fashion...come in, thrash prices, hire people for minimum wage (and let's face it-almost anyone can get into Canada and start working legally practically), shut down many of the mom and pop local businesses and then readjust prices accordingly.

I shop small business whenever humanly possible as a result.

:canadaflag:

STRINGALATION
08-23-2008, 02:22 PM
1. what was the point of the original thread.
2. i do not think the tactics listed above are very ethical. just because something works does not mean it is right.
3. one thing i have learned on here is even in the long run low-ballers dont usually make it.

h400exinfl
08-26-2008, 07:08 AM
I've seen brickman moving into this area. Even had a presentation down at the college trying to recruit young landscapers. They do keep the workers hopin' ... even at gas stations, it looks like marine core training camp, 20 seconds to piss, 10 to get a gatorade, ... you better run boy. Didn't know that's how they operated, thanks for the info.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-28-2008, 03:16 PM

lol funny you said that, theyre the same way here in NJ. I hope they go under sooner or later when they cant get all their h2bs.

Meadowbrook
08-30-2008, 10:56 AM
valley crest owns U.S lawns
I did not know this......

But,
As far as Brickman's 'strategy' (whether we love it or hate it) it's a good one. They're not going to go under as someone said. I just don't see that one happening. I feel as though they do take a lot of work from the smaller guys, but it is a dog-eat-dog world & they've been established for 70 years or so. Realisticly, most of us won't see that. Most people see their company as a career & they plan to retire one day. Old Daddy Brickman (not the kids) didn't see his company as a career, he saw it as an entity that had (at that point) plenty of room for growth & not everyone & their brother were out competing against them. They gobbled up plenty of work (they're H.Q. is based in Gaithersburg, MD, which is a MAJOR hot spot in Maryland) and they built it from there. They're not going anywhere anytime soon, face it. As far as everyone hating them, maybe we hate their practices but I've read on here a bunch of times how guys would LOVE to build a company like them. Well, think outside the box a lil' & don't expect that you'll get a company like that without being around for a long long time.....
Just some food for thought.

Chris