PDA

View Full Version : Stihl: FS 90 R vs FS 100 RX

freshprince94
08-05-2008, 10:53 AM
This is a question for all the Stihl guys:

Which trimmer in your opinion is the best? The FS 90 or 100 RX? I won't be using gearbox attachments, and it will be for basic trimming of S. Augustine grass, no brushcutting.

Thanks...

Josh.S
08-05-2008, 11:02 AM
This is a question for all the Stihl guys:

Which trimmer in your opinion is the best? The FS 90 or 100 RX? I won't be using gearbox attachments, and it will be for basic trimming of S. Augustine grass, no brushcutting.

Thanks...

FS80 because it is a two stroke. The 90 and 100 either you are at 0% throttle or 100% throttle, it's hard to find an in between. So it's a pain to trim around delicate stuff but with the 80 you can control the throttle WAY easier.

SNAPPER MAN
08-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Amen brother. If you get a Stihl get a true two stroke. The 4mix stuff is good but not built to the same standards of the other stihl equipment. Do you see Stihl putting a 4mix on their chainsaws? Nope because if they did they would loose there edge. Also consider getting a Echo or Shindaiwa.

railman
08-05-2008, 11:45 AM
for straigth trimming and no other gear box attachment I would go with the fs100rx a little more power and less weight. I have two fs90r because I use the hedge trimmer attachment also and they are good enough for what I need it for.

mag360
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
FS80 because it is a two stroke. The 90 and 100 either you are at 0% throttle or 100% throttle, it's hard to find an in between. So it's a pain to trim around delicate stuff but with the 80 you can control the throttle WAY easier.

This is very true. See if you can get one to use for a day before you buy.

Josh.S
08-05-2008, 02:13 PM
I know you didn't mention an 80 in your options but that is what I would do. I have 2 FS80's and they are okay for brush cutting too. For regular trimming they have more than enough power with great control.

White Gardens
08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure, but I think the 90 and 110 has a solid drive for attachments and the 100 has a hollow drive for less weight, more power for trimming.

Take the guard off and you have more control on the 4-mix, but more flying debris. I like the brush guard, with the skirt, and line cutter removed.

Roger
08-05-2008, 09:47 PM
I bought an FS90R about two months ago, to replace an FS85. The throttle control issue mentioned above is the first I've heard of that concern. Having run both, and still run an FC85 (edger), I don't see the 0% to 100% at all. I have no problem with an intermediate throttle position on either the FS85 (FC85), or the FS90R.

So far, I'm very impressed with the FS90R. It starts better than any other handheld I've owned. I use it only for turf trimming, no attachments. The machine has plenty of power, and quick throttle response. It gets about 3 hours of use per day, and I go through two or three tanks of fuel each day. I am very satisfied with the unit.

I know that didn't answer your question about the two models, but my experiences are only on the FS90R.

tstutz
08-05-2008, 10:11 PM

I got a stihl fs90 in May and i have found it to be very reliable. i have used an fs80 also and i found that it does not have the power the 90 does. also if you use the 90 often finding a median is quite easy. just my 2 cents though.

freshprince94
08-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys, keep em comin...

I have a 4 mix engine already and like it, but I will check out the FS 80...

Echo and Shindy arent options...

mississippiturf
08-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I purchased the 110 back in April. I have five attachments and have had no problems with starting (actually starts on first pull, always) and no throttle control problems. My only complaint is that its kind of heavy after a few hours of trimming.

But, to answer your question, I would recommend the FS80 if trimming is all you'll be doing.

Icepuck72
08-05-2008, 10:37 PM
FS90

Don't mess with that 2 stroke stuff.

CustomKare
08-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Happy as can be....I returned my FS100 today because it quit while running only 2 hours of operation. It was hard to control .....either nothing or all at once which I admit all new machines need a learning period but this one I could see would be a scalper if loss of control. Like others stated not for trimming around delicate areas. Went and bought an Echo $70 cheaper but very easy to get to know.

Just my 2 cents

freshprince94
08-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I purchased the 110 back in April. I have five attachments and have had no problems with starting (actually starts on first pull, always) and no throttle control problems. My only complaint is that its kind of heavy after a few hours of trimming.

But, to answer your question, I would recommend the FS80 if trimming is all you'll be doing.

Why, the 80 costs more. I like the 4 mix engine.

PLS-Tx
08-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Happy as can be....I returned my FS100 today because it quit while running only 2 hours of operation. It was hard to control .....either nothing or all at once which I admit all new machines need a learning period but this one I could see would be a scalper if loss of control. Like others stated not for trimming around delicate areas. Went and bought an Echo $70 cheaper but very easy to get to know.

Just my 2 cents

Which Echo did you get?

CustomKare
08-05-2008, 11:56 PM
SRM 210 was going to get the 265 more CC's but 2# heavier. Had a GT200 prior curved but traded to a straight. Very happy with it.

PLS-Tx
08-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Does the 210 have enough power? I agree that the 265 is heavy, I thought about getting a 265, then I seen the 280 is 2-3 oz. lighter, but it's heaver than my Shindy 270. The 270 is great, but you don't want to use it all day, I think the 265/280 are about a # heaver.

I guess I need to look at the 210. Our dealer has 2 of the old 261's, not as heavy as the 265's I also thinking about those.

Josh.S
08-06-2008, 01:00 AM

Just my 2 cents

Maybe the 90s have better throttle control than the 100s. I have used both and I still like the 2 stroke better also because they spin up faster which makes it feel like more power and better throttle response.

Honestly the only advantage I would see with a 4 stroke is not having to mix fuel, but with the 4 mix takes that away, and it still carys all the bad traits of four strokes. Such as more moving parts, weight, valves, ect.

Plus the 2 strokes don't have that over engineered gas cap that everybody complains about.

Also the ONLY reason that 4 mix was even made was because of the tree huggers that didn't want to pollute the environment.

Of course everything above is 1 man's opinion, my $.02.

Let us know what you decide! :cool2:

Cooter
08-06-2008, 03:53 AM
I would agree with getting the FS80. I own a 100rx and a FS110. The 110 gets used as edger only after getting the 100. They are right about the throttle control on the 100. Mine also takes forever to warm up. Got tired of it and wanted a new trimmer, was between the FS80 and Husqvarna 326LS. Went with the Husky because of the dealer. Its working out well.

CustomKare
08-06-2008, 07:18 AM
The Echo 210 maybe a little under powered, but for resi's it's fine. The 210 has a 21cc and the 265 I belive has a 27ccc.

It's funny last week I put a post out here about Stihl bein a POS and the Stihl fans seemed to take it personal. Now I'm seeing alot of people agreeing with me. I think we all would like to have a Stihl in our trailer but they don't measure up to their name like they do in chain saws. In my opinion

Roger
08-06-2008, 07:35 AM
I see this thread degrading to another stupid debate, just like the last one. Stihl, or no, was not the question of the initial post. The question asked was a discussion between two models of Stihl. Why is there reason to cover old ground?

Lazer_Z
08-06-2008, 02:03 PM
FP, For basic weekly trimming I'd go with the FS 90 R. You already have a KM 90 R so you know what it's capable of.

mag360
08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I would agree with getting the FS80. I own a 100rx and a FS110. The 110 gets used as edger only after getting the 100. They are right about the throttle control on the 100. Mine also takes forever to warm up. Got tired of it and wanted a new trimmer, was between the FS80 and Husqvarna 326LS. Went with the Husky because of the dealer. Its working out well.

326 may be the greatest trimmer available for power/weight/comfort/useability/price

freshprince94
08-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Probably going with the FS 90, but I'm gonna have to sell my Echo...wanted to keep it as a backup but it saves money.

CustomKare
08-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Niether......Get an ECHO or even a Crapsman before Stihl

Lazer_Z
08-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Probably going with the FS 90, but I'm gonna have to sell my Echo...wanted to keep it as a backup but it saves money. Ditch the Echo, buy an FS 90 R and add the line head for your KM 90 R. I basically did the same thing, I bought my FS 90 R, then I got my KM 130 R, edger and trimmer attachments. I basically have 2 trimmers now.

customkare, please keep the stupid comments to yourself :rolleyes:

freshprince94
08-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Niether......Get an ECHO or even a Crapsman before Stihl

I like Stihl equipment WAY better

SNAPPER MAN
08-08-2008, 09:45 PM
After using my new Echo SRM-265t all day today it is a much better trimmer than any 4-mix stihl unit. The only good stihl trimmer in my opinion is the FS-250R. The echo was a much better balanced unit and had way better throttle response than any 4-mix that I've used. To me stihl is overated just like exmark. People buy because of the name.

Lazer_Z
08-08-2008, 09:57 PM
After using my new Echo SRM-265t all day today it is a much better trimmer than any 4-mix stihl unit. The only good stihl trimmer in my opinion is the FS-250R. The echo was a much better balanced unit and had way better throttle response than any 4-mix that I've used. To me stihl is overated just like exmark. People buy because of the name. Kid, You have got to be kidding me. eXmark & Stihl have been around longer than you've been alive. Kid's like you give the honest hard working ones a bad name, so your dealer called you a dumb@$$ and now your on a bashing roll. Let me ask you this, what did you say to make him call you that?

SNAPPER MAN
08-08-2008, 10:59 PM
I give hard working people a bad name? I used to love stihl and the only reason I switched is because of dealer issues, but now after using the echo all day today that I was missing out on something good. Im sorry if you think im an idiot.

CustomKare
08-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Lazer, I'll agree with you about Exmark best out there for cut quality but the Stihl....I believe he's right......
I had 2 Stihl experiences and both were pieces of $---- 3 Echo experiences and no problems.

SNAPPER MAN
08-08-2008, 11:10 PM
I would give exmark a try but their dealers are also the stihl dealers and thats why im selling my stihl stuff.

fishmagnet
08-08-2008, 11:42 PM
I've got an Echo GT2400, Echo SRM260, and a Stihl 110R, they all perform well, though the Echo GT2400 is going on 15 yrs old (late '93 model) and runs like I bought it yesterday!

No issues with the 1yr old Stihl 110, and it wacks small brush effortlessly with the tri-blade attatchment!

The Echo 260 takes a few minutes to warm up, but is easy to start and trims well, though not as good as my trusty curved shaft GT2400.....

freshprince94
08-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Let me say, I've used both Echo and Stihl equipment. I actually run Echo at my part time job as well as in my business. SRM 210s and PE-200s, all commercial units.

The Echo equipment is all discolored, labels falling off, unit turning brown, and on the edger the unit is messed up, the blade spins when the throttle isn't engaged so it can hack up stuff if you aren't careful. The trimmer we have takes about 6-10 pulls to start it up, and the primer bulbs on them are crapped out. These units are maybe 6-8 months old, and used on about 25-30 small to medium sized residential accounts. They aren't abused at all.

My LCO friend has Stihl equipment over a year old, used 3 times as much as we use the Echos, and they are in great condition. He demonstrated them, start up on first pull. Nuff said.

Lazer_Z
08-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Lazer, I'll agree with you about Exmark best out there for cut quality but the Stihl....I believe he's right......
I had 2 Stihl experiences and both were pieces of $---- 3 Echo experiences and no problems.

I would give exmark a try but their dealers are also the stihl dealers and thats why im selling my stihl stuff.OK, So what we have here is a total of 6 years in the business between you 2 and you're already seasoned vets and know what equipment is crap and what is not :laugh: .

Snapper, You never answered my question, what made a dealer call you a dumb@$$? you also said that I called you an "idiot", I don't recall in ANY of my posts EVER calling you an idiot.

customkare, WOW, 2 stihl experiences, I'm impressed :rolleyes: . I've had my fair share of problematic machines and none of them have been Stihl. I had an Echo blower that was a royal PITA to start and SRM 230 that literally burned my arm every time I used it. The only semi trouble free Echo I have is an old SRM 2601, it went into the shop one time and it turned out to be just a minor thing that a carb adjustment fixed it.

I'll do you 2 a favor, since you think I'm just some random fan boy preaching and not using I'll post a picture of my Stihl equipment as I have to clean my mower deck, so I'll just pull everything out.

freshprince94
08-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Oh boy, here we go again...*trucewhiteflag*

CustomKare
08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Lazer......Let me get this straight.............two guys have an opinion about equipment different than yours and you are still the one with all the answers?

Wow, you sound a little insecure. When I read posts on here that I don't agree with I don't seem to take it personal. It's someone elses view.

Not sure about anyone else on here but I could care less to see your equipment. You sound like a blow hard to me

SNAPPER MAN
08-09-2008, 05:18 PM
I never intended this to turn in to a war so I'll just shut my mouth.

Lazer_Z
08-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Lazer......Let me get this straight.............two guys have an opinion about equipment different than yours and you are still the one with all the answers?

Wow, you sound a little insecure. When I read posts on here that I don't agree with I don't seem to take it personal. It's someone elses view.

Not sure about anyone else on here but I could care less to see your equipment. You sound like a blow hard to me No, not the case at all, the LS community HAD a blow hard, thankfully he's now gone. It's you coustomkare that is sounding like a blow hard here. I do a ton of research before I buy a piece of equipment and I've found Stihl to be perfection. You on the other hand come into this full bore comparing Stihl to craftsman? are you serious? You go on to state that you have used 2 pieces of Stihl equipment and now say they were crap, how about some real info? like model, length of time used, likes, dislikes etc... not just "Stihl is $h*t" I gave factual info on what I disliked about Echo and didn't straight up call it $h*t.

FP, Sorry about derailing your thread bro, I'm bowing out, peace :waving:

freshprince94
08-09-2008, 08:42 PM
No, not the case at all, the LS community HAD a blow hard, thankfully he's now gone. It's you coustomkare that is sounding like a blow hard here. I do a ton of research before I buy a piece of equipment and I've found Stihl to be perfection. You on the other hand come into this full bore comparing Stihl to craftsman? are you serious? You go on to state that you have used 2 pieces of Stihl equipment and now say they were crap, how about some real info? like model, length of time used, likes, dislikes etc... not just "Stihl is $h*t" I gave factual info on what I disliked about Echo and didn't straight up call it $h*t.

FP, Sorry about derailing your thread bro, I'm bowing out, peace :waving:

OK, but I wish people would answer my questions like you did rather than argue.

freshprince94
08-09-2008, 10:37 PM
OK, I am going with the FS 90, and can a mod please close out this thread?

S man
08-09-2008, 11:51 PM
I still say forget stihl and grab a shindaiwa or redmax. I'm gettin ready to sell off my other 85 and grab another redmax 2601 or shindaiwa. They are better built and are lighter. The stihl 80 eats fuel alive, is very loud, and will start having problems after one year. The clutch springs are first to break. I did however like the 110 I had but didn't like the attachment series and just sold it all off. I've been happy with all my redmax stuff since. Just my 2 cents..

S man
08-09-2008, 11:55 PM
After using my new Echo SRM-265t all day today it is a much better trimmer than any 4-mix stihl unit. The only good stihl trimmer in my opinion is the FS-250R. The echo was a much better balanced unit and had way better throttle response than any 4-mix that I've used. To me stihl is overated just like exmark. People buy because of the name.

I'd take exmark over ANY brand ANY day! They make great products and back what they sell. I do however think stihl is very overrated and there are better brands.

freshprince94
08-10-2008, 08:46 AM
I still say forget stihl and grab a shindaiwa or redmax. I'm gettin ready to sell off my other 85 and grab another redmax 2601 or shindaiwa. They are better built and are lighter. The stihl 80 eats fuel alive, is very loud, and will start having problems after one year. The clutch springs are first to break. I did however like the 110 I had but didn't like the attachment series and just sold it all off. I've been happy with all my redmax stuff since. Just my 2 cents..

I like the Stihl 4 mix engine, plus I have no dealers for RedMax. But, I can see why you wouldn't like the 80. The site says it is a homeowner, farm, or light pro trimmer. Is this true? I see big full time crews using them.

S man
08-10-2008, 01:13 PM
The 80 isn't that great. Some use of for years with no probs and some have probs after the first year like me. Well if you're happy that's great. I guess it's just me not liking stihl. Enjoy your 90!!

Frosty03
08-13-2008, 03:05 AM
Nice thread. :rolleyes:

Maybe this will help...apples to apples if you will.

I've ran Echo trimmers for the past 6 years (SRM 260-s), good equipment, but has changed due to epa.

About a year ago, I got a Stihl FS-100. It runs at a lower rpm, but has tons of torque and power. More-so than my 2-strokes.

I admit the throttle may be a bit different, it has never been an issue with me as a split-second response time is not going to effect my performance on the jobsite.

Now, it has not been without it's quirks over the past year. It does take a little getting used to as it is DIFFERENT, but different does not mean bad.

About 3 months ago, I bought another Stihl, the FS-80 as my help likes a 2 stroke.

Now the comparisons, unbiased and IMHO.

I like the FS-100. For power to weight ratio, I would get is over the FS-90. It has all the power you need and some to spare for those overgrown yards you are gonna get.

About 4 months after I got it, the head cracked. I noticed it while using one day as the head suddenly rotated about 15 degrees. Took it to the dealer, he told me they had some problems with that partcular head style and now Stihl was using a newer/beefed up style head. Replaced it...no charge. Problem has not repeated itself.

The gas cap is different, but it does not leak.

Starting is hard in the morning (first start) but usually starts in 1-pull the rest of the day. It is harder to pull-start than an equivelent 2 stroke. My old Echo 260-s is a two-finger light pull and it purrs.

After about a year, it would not idle 30 seconds without shutting-off. Took it to the dealer, adjusted it and now it runs fine again.

Yesterday, the pull-cord broke, but that was an easy fix and pull-cords will break.

The FS-80 is a nice trimmer with a different balance point and different response under load. However, I like the FS-100 as it usually does not bog-down under load...just keeps going through the thick stuff...Like say a yard you mow every two weeks and are trimming 6+ inches of St. Augustine around the house...no problems. I think where most people get to complaining about the throttle is that under a load (thick grass) a 2 stroker will bog-down and you need to rev it up more to get through it. With the 4 mix, just keep going.

I am a tall guy, so in all actuallity, I like my older Echo for lightweight and head-angle. However, I usually use the Stihl all day as it really is a workhorse. I would say the Stihl actually fits shorter people better due to the different head-angle, I am still used to it and I am over 6'2" tall.

It is quieter than the Stihl 2-stroker. It has a different vibe to it as well. Also watch out as it really has a lot of torque and will eat pvc pipes for breakfast and not even burp.

Ok, I have Echo 260-s and love it, the Stihl Fs-100 and the FS-80 two stroke. I like them all, but in the order of most favorite first to last, FS-100, Echo SRM 260-s, Stihl FS-80.

Now, I also have a new Echo 260-S and it does not start nowhere near the ease of my older one, so with that in mind on a newer model, I would put the Echo in the #3 slot of the three listed and still put the FS-100 first.

Another thing about it I like over a two stroker...it doesn't "grab" the turf, if you know what I mean...you are trimming along and get to a thick patch...a two stroke will "grab", bog a bit and sometimes take a bite out of the turf if you are not careful. The FS-100 will not bog or grab...if that makes sense. This is especially true if you are holding it in a "loose grip" as I usually do.

Of the two choices you've given, get the FS-100. It is light enough to use all day. I demo'd a fs-110, which is the same thing, but heavier and made to change heads out, but I don't do that...to me, a trimmer is a trimmer and I don't waste time changing heads...I start it and go.

They work great and I believe you won't be disappointed.

MyKisa
08-13-2008, 08:04 PM
wow, had my 110s for 4 years now..doing 187 accounts and they still keep running

freshprince94
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
UPDATE: Bought the FS 90 today. I lucked out, on was on promo and I got $20 off.

Just Mow
08-19-2008, 08:20 PM

Nothing wrong with the Stihl product. Never had the clutch springs break and if they did there is a lifetime warranty parts and labor on them.

Just Mow
08-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I like the Stihl 4 mix engine, plus I have no dealers for RedMax. But, I can see why you wouldn't like the 80. The site says it is a homeowner, farm, or light pro trimmer. Is this true? I see big full time crews using them.

Incorrect, the 80R is a full bore commercial unit. Lot of big time crews in my area using them as well.

Just Mow
08-19-2008, 08:24 PM
UPDATE: Bought the FS 90 today. I lucked out, on was on promo and I got $20 off.

Good choice.

S man
08-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Nothing wrong with the Stihl product. Never had the clutch springs break and if they did there is a lifetime warranty parts and labor on them.

Well the shaft and head would spin at idle so the clutch wasen't grabing. Also it didn't sound or feel the same after the problem started happening. I'm much happier with redmax. No stihl for me.