PDA

View Full Version : Dye for gas (theft deterrent)

mag360
08-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Anyone heard of a dying agent that can be added to gasoline (like they do in off-road diesel). We've got someone siphoning fuel out of two of the mowers that stay on an open trailer some nights. This has happened twice now since the season started and is more of an annoyance than a real threat but I'm ready to hurt someone over it.

I think it's one of the neighbors at our mowing lot. They take 2-3 gallons (maybe a little more) out of each machine and leave the 5 gallon blitz can untouched---maybe thinking I won't notice. Other option is to mix in some bleach in the one machine and leave it on there as a booby trap.

Supper Grassy
08-05-2008, 02:04 PM
you could emtpty the mowers and force the theif to take the 5 gallons

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Block the fuel lines and dose up the gas tanks with some granulated Dixie Sugar!

That would be like that cheers... Here's to those that love us... and to those that do not- may God sprain their ankle- so we will know them by their limp!

mag360
08-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Block the fuel lines and dose up the gas tanks with some granulated Dixie Sugar!

That would be like that cheers... Here's to those that love us... and to those that do not- may God sprain their ankle- so we will know them by their limp!

Nice.
I remember reading somewhere about a guy that had a similar problem with gas being siphoned out of his ford dump. He poisoned the gas in one of the dual tanks (I think with sugar) and a week or so later the guy across the street was putting an engine in his car. The thief gets the engine in, starts the car, drives down the street and blows the new engine because he never changed out the gas in his tank.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
i would hurt someone :hammerhead:
so where is that 5 gal of gas u want me to test drive????

JRS Landscaping
08-05-2008, 11:39 PM
you could emtpty the mowers and force the theif to take the 5 gallons

do that and make sure the 5 gallon has diesel fuel not gas in it lol:rolleyes:

hockeypro1411
08-06-2008, 01:49 AM
add some black powder or something of the likes. id imagine it would give the guy a little more "bang for his buck"

Petr51488
08-06-2008, 09:56 AM
do that and make sure the 5 gallon has diesel fuel not gas in it lol:rolleyes:

I wouldn't do that. Diesel costs alot more lol

Hummer
08-06-2008, 03:44 PM
1. What would be the purpose of putting the dye in the fuel? How would that prevent someone from continuing to steal the fuel? The engine doesn't care what color it is either.

2. According to the Myth Busters show, putting sugar in a fuel tank does absolutely nothing to the engine.

bobcat_ron
08-06-2008, 05:27 PM
2. According to the Myth Busters show, putting sugar in a fuel tank does absolutely nothing to the engine.

That's right, I'm glad someone paid attention to that show.

Remember, don't use sugar as a prank or revenge on someone's car, use Bleach, it's liquid oxygen, it'll rust the entire fuel system out in less than a few miles!

mag360
08-06-2008, 08:36 PM
1. What would be the purpose of putting the dye in the fuel? How would that prevent someone from continuing to steal the fuel? The engine doesn't care what color it is either.

I can check the tank on the neighbor's truck and chipper and see if it's my gas.

I remember watching that show now.

hockeypro1411
08-07-2008, 12:17 AM
better idea... sit out there by it with a shotgun. once someone starts stealin gas and hears that shell go into the chamber ill bet they think twice.

mag360
08-07-2008, 12:45 PM
My foreman has offered to sleep there a couple nights but they've only hit us twice, so far, this season so more passive precautions would probably make more sense.