PDA

View Full Version : Best " DecK " for wet grass

HighlandLC
08-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Doing my homework for a new ZTR, and today reallty had me thinking.

Weve had a very wet summer in the Northeast, and today even at 11:30 AM, a few of my normal Damp lawns were still very wet. The Scag Advantage 48 is really clumpy in this condition. Starting to get to that time of year that there is a very narrow window when they are completly dry.

So what are the best decks for wet northern type grass? Scags Velocity Plus, Exmark Ultra or Triton?

ProStreetCamaro
08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Gravely X-Factor leaves no clumps and never gets any build up under the deck. This I can guarantee you because we own one and its the best deck we have ever used.

I hear the velocity plus does good to but we have never owned one.

rzero1123
08-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I think one with a lawn dryer in front of it... I know my Toro's don't like the wet grass

HighlandLC
08-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I think one with a lawn dryer in front of it... I know my Toro's don't like the wet grass

Do the Toro's have the Turbo Force system ?

Backhoe Man
08-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I would think the Scag Velocity Plus would be hard to beat. Brian//////

rzero1123
08-05-2008, 05:50 PM
yes both do it's just too wet to often lately , dry or lightly damp it ok just have to clean the decks more often

ProStreetCamaro
08-05-2008, 05:58 PM
We had record rain fall the first half of this season and the grass was very deep. Never a single clump left from our x-factor and I never once had to scrape the deck.

Backhoe Man
08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
We had record rain fall the first half of this season and the grass was very deep. Never a single clump left from our x-factor and I never once had to scrape the deck.

Sounds good ProStreet. I would never own a deck that I had to clean or it clumped. (I cut to much wet grass) Brian////////

ccl
08-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Just a suggestion for your Advantage deck, I opened up my discharge opening on my Turf Tiger and put the 3 in. wide super hi lift blades on it and it hardly ever clumps .

Mike Blevins
08-05-2008, 06:35 PM
My velocity plus on my Tiger cuts wet grass really well. With the adjustable front baffle you can "taylor" it to your specific needs. Huge opening and it moves alot of grass. i have owned the advantage also and the velocity does wet grass alot better. :usflag:

mowerbrad
08-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Anyone else have any experience with the Turbo Force decks and wet grass?

tacoma200
08-05-2008, 08:53 PM
John Deere 7 iron II, Scag Velocity plus, Gravely X-Factor . I hear mixed results with the Turbo Force. Surely one of those will do. Don't get the 800 series John Deere ZTR, still working out problems.

02DURAMAX
08-06-2008, 02:23 AM
Scag Velocity +

MOturkey
08-06-2008, 10:10 AM

I'm a Gravely fan as well. My current machine has the X-Factor deck (260XDZH). My previous Gravely, a 250 did not. The X deck is much better at cutting wet grass, especially when it was new. However, to be fair, as the deck gets more hours on it, it does need scraping, sometimes a lot. And, yes, if the grass is wet enough, it will clump. I had to quit last week during a light rain on a primarily bermuda yard as clumping became excessive.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although I'm happy with my Gravely, and will more than likely buy another, under some conditions, they will clump, and the deck will need cleaned. I think it depends largely on the type of turf you are cutting. If one could keep a deck pristine, residue is very minimal, but as the deck loses paint, and gets a few nicks, they will start collecting clippings, maybe just not as bad as some other decks. Just my experience, anyway.

luckylawnboy
08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Had them all. Deere 7 iron hands down

ctlc
08-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Anyone else have any experience with the Turbo Force decks and wet grass?

I have a 52" w/ a 27 hp. Kohler and I have to wait until app. 9:00 am in N.C. before cutting anything.... I do make exceptions when I have a large workload esp. when cutting around the sound shores where the wind is always blowing.... But It tends to be more work than it is worth gaining the extra minutes....

POPO4995
08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Never have had any problems with 7 IRON decks....

TandM
08-06-2008, 11:11 AM
my velocity plus never clumps and I never scrape the deck ever! I cut a lot of weck thick grass and it never clumps. the 7 irons do not work well on our types of grasses so I would not know

HighlandLC
08-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Another rainy day here. Go figure. I can hear the grass growing. At this rate, pretty much garanteed no burnt out lawns this year.