PDA

View Full Version : New Residential Customers

Braveheart
08-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Just an FYI...

After all the advertising in the paper, sending out flyers, door hangers, postcards, yellow pages ads, networking groups and mailers - word-of-mouth has been the best avenue or finding new residential customers! Work your customer base for new business!

Have you guys found the same?

david shumaker
08-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Yes, most of my customers have come from referrals.

ALC-GregH
08-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I lost a OK customer today. He bought a house for his daughter and had planned to take care of the mowing and yard work but got tied up in cleaning up the house and painting everything inside. He had me mow it the first time after a month or more of growing. It was bad but I needed the work as I was just getting started.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2546.jpg
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2551.jpg
He hired me to mow for 4 weeks and after the second week,asked what I charged to clean up the back yard (lots of debris) and cut some small trees (over grown weeds) so I gave him a price and he wanted me to do it. 4 weeks in, he said to just keep mowing for now and he'll figure out when he can start doing it. Well, it lasted almost 4 months. He dropped off my last payment today after I finished the last week we agreed on. Kinda sad about it, we got along good, liked each other, talked now and again but now his daughter moved in this past week and he has the free time to deal with it himself. He came to the house to drop the check off and said if he needs anything at all, he'd give me a call, we shook hands and they drove off. :( Sorry for the long post....

I need to go out and lowball some and try to make up for the dropped account. :)

J/K :D...... well, not really....:laugh:

Baseballman387
08-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Mine the same thing except putting our ads in a yelow book which cost some $$$$. We put ours in the ads board in any groceries store and our nearest post office. That works really well. :dancing:

topsites
08-05-2008, 09:41 PM
If it makes you feel any better I'm still paying for the advertising I ran back in April :cry:

Cost almost as much as a whole brand new Wb, the results were disappointing but looking back it's not surprising to me now.

MowHouston
08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I advertise online only and pull about 25+ new customers a month.

LBLC_LCO
08-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I've picked up 16 weekly accounts over the past 2 months or so just from craigslist.

MowHouston
08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I've picked up 16 weekly accounts over the past 2 months or so just from craigslist.

Yep. About 20% - 30% of my customers come from craigslist.

TomberLawn
08-05-2008, 10:25 PM
All of my accounts, 100%, are word of mouth or similar. It's amazing how many trucks I see go by with mowers, but people still don't know anybody to call if they want their yard cut. My neighbor happened to see me mowing at my house and my truck and trailer were still out, so she pulled in and asked me to mow her yard. I think she knew my parents, but didn't know I lived there, literally a couple hundred yards down the road. Three or four times I've had neighbors of accounts request services. I really think business cards are about the best way to market a small business. They are cheap and easy to give to people. I usually give away two or more at a time and tell them to pass the cards along to friends and neighbors.

b121774
08-05-2008, 10:31 PM
word of mouth and the big moving 'billboards' on my 2 cargo trailer's is all I need. everyone in the county knows who I am.

Green Finger
08-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Yep. About 20% - 30% of my customers come from craigslist.

Does craigslist really work? if so what section do you advertise in. The equipment section (farm and Garden):confused:

bone1
08-05-2008, 11:19 PM
If it makes you feel any better I'm still paying for the advertising I ran back in April :cry:

Cost almost as much as a whole brand new Wb, the results were disappointing but looking back it's not surprising to me now.

i know what you mean! i called yellow 2 days ago, and a business card size ad with color was $182 per month!:dizzy:

Cashio13
08-06-2008, 12:21 AM
i remember last year in college we did an interview with the one of the owners of a few planet fitness's in the area. I don't know how many people have heard of them but they are starting to become very popular in the gym craze. Anyway, she told us that it doesn't matter how much money they drop in advertising whether it be in papers, phone books, on tv, or on the internet (and believe me they can afford it) "the best form of advertising is word of mouth...i don't care what anyone says." That is what i have found out about my business, especially where i am...everyone talks about everything. Word of mouth is hands down the best way to go.

LBLC_LCO
08-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Does craigslist really work? if so what section do you advertise in. The equipment section (farm and Garden):confused:

I advertise under Services/Household and also Services/Labor.

There are so many Lawn/Moving companies and lowballers on there now it seems impossible, but make your ad stand out and make it professional.

I have my logo in my ad as well, that makes it stand out because it shows there is a "pic" as part of the ad, which gets peoples attention.