PDA

View Full Version : bagworms - late hatch, but

americanlawn
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
We are experiencing more bagworm infestations than ever before. (It's a record year so far). My land grant university indicates that bagworms are rare north of Interstate 80, but we beg to differ. I have sprayed for bagworms on over 20 properties located 'well north of Interstate 80' in the past 3 weeks.

One property (Altoona) was sprayed for bagworms on an arborvitae hedge a few weeks ago. They used some kind of 'Ortho' product......didn't work, so they called us. I sprayed Talstar at 400 psi with a tree pistol (JD-9). I checked today for "kill rate". 100% kill. Nuf said.

Anybody else experiencing 'above average' bagworm populations?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
They are fairly new to our area of the state as well... When you tell people they have Bagworms, they automatically assume you mean tent caterpillars:hammerhead:

Once they have a Arborvitae hedgerow turn to a brown skeleton, is when they realize how serious they are:laugh:

Talstar puts the smackdown on them:)

Oh, yeah-We are seeing lots of them too!

robertsturf
08-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Bag worms on everything. BLue Spruce, Aborovite and Juniper. I dug out a Dwarf Alberta Spruce and it even had them. Then they got all over the bed of my truck.

phasthound
08-05-2008, 08:44 PM
In NJ/PA bagworms are old hat & a big problem when the conditions are right. I'ts unfortunate that homeowners don't see them until the damage is severe.

If you can get them on a program for next year, you will have good control using Bt if applied soon after hatch out.
They are harder to control as they mature. As stated, Talstar works good. I would caution against applying at high psi, as you can add to the damage with pressure burns. Just apply at the lowest pressure needed to get good coverage.

americanlawn
08-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Until very recent, bagworms were never found in Iowa north of Interstate 80. That's not the case anymore -- just got an email from the head of entomology at Iowa State University -- they are getting many reports from many counties north of I-80. High winds can distribute them....we have had very high winds this summer. As high as 90 mph (not to mention tornadoes).

Had a customer try to spray them himself, but he used a "hand can" sprayer. Not enough pressure to get them all, so they had me spray. Used Crosscheck (Talstar). I know they are all dead now. Most bagworms around here are on evergreens, but honeylocusts are very vulnerable too.

phasthound
08-06-2008, 06:13 PM
If bagworms get established, they'll eat almost anything.

americanlawn
08-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Let 'em go untreated for 3 years, and their ain't much left of the tree (dead). Kinda like people who let their pin oaks die due to lack of iron....easy fix, but most folks don't realize what's going on until it's too late.

If bagworms get established, they'll eat almost anything.

Mscotrid
08-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Easy fix, Cha Ching $$$$$$$$$$$ all the way to the bank. Low chemical cost and high profit return.

garydale
08-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Easy fix, Cha Ching $$$$$$$$$$$ all the way to the bank. Low chemical cost and high profit return.

Good money here too!

Japanese beetles are very light this year due to drought last two years.