PDA

View Full Version : The Controller and the GFCI

dwc
08-05-2008, 08:17 PM
A restaurant I maintain had not ran their system all year and the grass was really burning up due to no rain and 105+ temps every day. I talked to the manager and she said it was broke. I told her I would look at it, so she showed me where it was. I took the plug out of the wall, hit the reset button on the GFCI and wa-la!
So the lesson of the day is controllers and GFCI's are not best friends!

Anyone else had a easy fix like this?

Wet_Boots
08-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I don't have many GFI issues. Necessary evil of our electrical codes.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
check fuses
check rain sensors
check for band solenoids
check breaker
check wiring inside the clock
test output voltage
open up valve boxes and clean them out check wiring

Mike Leary
08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
So the lesson of the day is controllers and GFCI's are not best friends

Mega lesson of the day. Never ever plug a clock into a GFI circuit.
The electricians can give you power ahead of the GFI at any outlet.

Waterit
08-05-2008, 08:39 PM
A restaurant I maintain had not ran their system all year and the grass was really burning up due to no rain and 105+ temps every day. I talked to the manager and she said it was broke. I told her I would look at it, so she showed me where it was. I took the plug out of the wall, hit the reset button on the GFCI and wa-la!
So the lesson of the day is controllers and GFCI's are not best friends!

That right there is our #1 "warranty" call. We NEVER plug straight into a GFI, but code here calls for garage and exterior recepts to be GFI-protected. They always wire them on one circuit, so we always get the "It says POWER OFF" call. Depending on their location, my mood, and/or my bank balance, I may tell them how to "fix" it, or I may show up and collect for a service call.

Wet_Boots
08-05-2008, 08:40 PM
check fuses
check rain sensors
check for band solenoids
check breaker
check wiring inside the clock
test output voltage
open up valve boxes and clean them out check wiring....and always check the blinker fluid

Mike Leary
08-05-2008, 08:45 PM
....and always check the blinker fluid

I wash the windows before we take the Airstream out.

dwc
08-05-2008, 08:54 PM

I think this GFCI was code because it is in the hot water closet. No other outlet available and not sure if it could be different.

This was one of the old Dial type rain bird controllers. No digital display or anything so it appeared to be "broke"

Mike Leary
08-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I think this GFCI was code because it is in the hot water closet.

I don't give a rat where anyone ties in, get in front of the GFI.

Wet_Boots
08-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't give a rat where anyone ties in, get in front of the GFI.Many installations are using wallwarts and indoor controllers, in garages and basements, so there is no non-gfi option.

ZX12R
08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I have had 2 GFI outlets go bad one year after I installed them.The outlets were both bought at home cheapo.:hammerhead: After talking to a friend who is an electrician,I buy outlets at an electrical supply house.

WalkGood
08-05-2008, 09:55 PM

I recall one service call where there was "no power to the controller".

I check voltage at the 120v outlet, all OK.

I check voltage from the wall wart wires at the screw terminals inside the controller. As I am touching my meter probes to the screws I can see that the wire is broken under the screw. The plastic-sheathed wire is captured by the screw terminal but no metal wire contact is made.

Re-stripped the wire and connected to screw terminal. Took longer to get down the cellar than to make the fix. I did run through all the zones while I was there since they were billed for a service call.

No idea how that wire broke. Maybe the wire got yanked (no stress relief or knot) and was on a hair-thread.

Kiril
08-06-2008, 12:38 AM

:nono::nono: Been hit by inspectors for NOT having it on GFCI, and this was indoors.

Outdoors it is not even a question, it has to be a GFCI protected circuit.

I don't give a rat where anyone ties in, get in front of the GFI.

Curious .... how do you get in front of a GFCI circuit breaker?

What chaps my azz is when there is only 1 GFCI receptacle protecting the entire circuit, and that GFCI is buried in some unknown place.

Kiril
08-06-2008, 12:46 AM
I have had 2 GFI outlets go bad one year after I installed them.The outlets were both bought at home cheapo.:hammerhead: After talking to a friend who is an electrician,I buy outlets at an electrical supply house.

It is OK to buy some stuff from the big boxes, just verify the part number. If it is a big box special, then the part number will vary from what you would normally get from an electrical supply house.

Waterit
08-06-2008, 12:48 AM
[QUOTE=Kiril;2453168Curious .... how do you get in front of a GFCI circuit breaker?[/QUOTE]

What the old-timer probably meant was that you can get in front of a GFCI receptacle.

Kiril
08-06-2008, 12:55 AM
What the old-timer probably meant was that you can get in front of a GFCI receptacle.

Yes, I know .... just wanted him to exercise his aging brain. :laugh:

irrig8r
08-06-2008, 02:31 AM
I had to look up wall wart...never heard that term before...

wall wart: n.

A small power-supply brick with integral male plug, designed to plug directly into a wall outlet; called a ‘wart’ because when installed on a power strip it tends to block up at least one more socket than it uses. These are frequently associated with modems and other small electronic devices which would become unacceptably bulky or hot if they had power supplies on board (there are other reasons as well having to do with the cost of UL certification).

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Had a recent service call on a system popping the gfci on the second zone. Timer was an RC-7. In investigating it was water going into some exterior mounted lights. Took care of that problem and it took care of the gfci problem. In any case they had a plug set about 6' high that was before the gfci so we reran the plug to that receptacle.

Waterit
08-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Had a recent service call on a system popping the gfci on the second zone. Timer was an RC-7. In investigating it was water going into some exterior mounted lights. Took care of that problem and it took care of the gfci problem.

Classic trouble call, have run into that more times than I care to count. Closing receptacle covers or installing "in-use" covers saves the HO some $$$ on service.