PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Braveheart
08-05-2008, 09:57 PM
AcornLandscaping.com

B & B Yardscape
08-06-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm lazy. Make it a link so a new window opens automaticly.

Braveheart
08-06-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm lazy. Make it a link so a new window opens automaticly.

http://AcornLandscaping.com

B & B Yardscape
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I have looked at and commented on a lot of web sites from this and other forum sites. Yours is the first one that I have to say, Wow!

I'm not sure how big of a company you have, but it I get the impression that you are on the larger side and very professional.

The music just came on. I would probably remove that. Alot of searches are done at work and people don't want to get caught and the music might give them away.

Are all the pictures that switch in and out of your work? They don't have to be because you are not representing them as yours. On the Landscape Maintenance page you have a picture of a golf course at the top. It is very pretty, but I'm going to assume that you don't mow that golf course. I would recommend pics of your clients properties.

Love the 888-70-ACORN phone number. Again very professional.

Just some notes

You have:"Acorn Landscaping, full service landscape design, installation and maintenance firm, based in Port St Lucie, Florida, has earned the reputation as the Treasure Coast’s premier landscape contractor. We provide our customers with a professional experience from start to finish. "

I would put:"Acorn Landscaping is a full service landscape design, installation and maintenance firm, based in Port St Lucie, Florida. We have earned the reputation as the Treasure Coast’s premier landscape contractor by providing our customers with a professional experience from start to finish."

Very nice site.

Flow Control
08-06-2008, 08:55 AM
I like it, clean and simple.

Braveheart
08-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks, great feed back and I agree! Now I need get to work on it...

WebMan
08-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Why all the employee "hiring" stuff on the home page? I'd suggest a different page for "Employment"

And why the old 1990's 800X600 if it's not a template you can't change?
Those old 800X600 sites on today's monitors make the text small & hard to read and I have to scroll down when all your content would easily fit my wide-screen without scrolling, even with bigger type size.
I have a scroll wheel and know how to use t, but not everybody does...but everybody does hate scrolling.

As far as the site, clean & classy looking, probably suits your market, could use a little more sales incentive (why should I call or contact you now?) but overall very good...I'm just prejudiced against any 800X600 site, as I asked a guy today...do you see ANY major corporations or companies with sites like that?

Braveheart
08-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Why all the employee "hiring" stuff on the home page? I'd suggest a different page for "Employment"

And why the old 1990's 800X600 if it's not a template you can't change?
Those old 800X600 sites on today's monitors make the text small & hard to read and I have to scroll down when all your content would easily fit my wide-screen without scrolling, even with bigger type size.
I have a scroll wheel and know how to use t, but not everybody does...but everybody does hate scrolling.

As far as the site, clean & classy looking, probably suits your market, could use a little more sales incentive (why should I call or contact you now?) but overall very good...I'm just prejudiced against any 800X600 site, as I asked a guy today...do you see ANY major corporations or companies with sites like that?

Good point, I'll look into that...

mdvaden
08-23-2008, 04:05 AM
Good point, I'll look into that...

Ever notice that paper for reading and typing is primarily about the same width as an 800 pixel web page?

And why?

Because most people don't want to have their eyeballs rolling right and left.

So yo have an excellent page width.

In short, 800 pixels is the premium size page for reading and eye comfort.

As for the design, I think it looks great. Personally, I'd rather have my own photos in the layout. But either way, it looks good and nothing is too flashy.

cbscreative
08-29-2008, 12:28 AM
I would also agree with keeping the 800px width. There are still plenty of 800x600 users out there, and you don't want to force a horizontal scroll bar on them. Long lines of text are more difficult to read just as noted above.

Overall, I like it. Nice and clean, good use of color, and it's simple. More is not necessarily better. The only problem I noted was the Coming Soon on the Plant Finder page. I would recommend masking the link until the page is ready.

I do agree the copy could be stronger though. Think about why someone should choose you, and write the copy to answer that question. If necessary, hire a pro. Good copywriters are worth far more than they charge because the rewards of good copy keep coming back over and over.

TrimmerAssist
08-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I think the feel of your page is AWESOME .. really good job. Personally I like the music, but thats me. Your SEO is not very good, but you can adjust that as you learn more about it.

I'd give that page a 9 ! good job

WebMan
08-29-2008, 10:51 PM
In short, 800 pixels is the premium size page for reading and eye comfort

I guess there is some merit to that theory however as humans we roll our eyeballs to the left & right constantly in all our daily activities.

The problem IMHO is not the width compared to an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, it is the resulting font size when you have today's larger monitors with higher resolution settings as "standard". Whether because they are 19s or above or whether they are 17 "wide screens".

When monitors were generally all 13-15" the resolution (in that little monitor setting box in the control panel if you use Windows) was 800X600 so that quote would be correct and an 800 pixel page would fill the screen with nice, easy to read letters.
Nowadays "standard" resolution on low-end monitors is 1024X768. A letter that is this tall on an 800x600 setting is now this tall on a 1024x768 and far harder to read if you don't have perfect vision or a great monitor (or glare on the screen or whatever)

So it's not just a matter of the size of the "page" but the resolution, and if it's a homeowner and they play games the resolution will be even higher making the letters this tall or even smaller. That's why sites like this one adjust to whatever monitor size/resolution the viewer has, and I don't know of any monitors that have shipped in years now with an 800x600 resolution "standard" and really a small % of "average users" ever go in and change their resolution, and even if they did 800x600 would be HUGE on today's monitors.
I just know on my 22" with standard "from the box" settings the text on the site is small and very difficult for me to read and while I don't wear glasses yet I am past the half-century mark and the eyes aren't 20/10 like they were when I was 20...and I am NOT going to look for the reading glasses I keep for the tiny print on the labels of some things I buy so I can read something on a web site...I'll go on to a site I can read, and I figure I am pretty average in that respect.

Look at this site and ALL the major sites (TV Networks, Amazon, eBay, whatever...) they are easy to read on this 22 or the 19 I have sitting next to it; and none are the small 800x600 in the middle of the screen. They all fill the screen completely regardless of the monitor size. So I must not be alone in my opinion (but not to argue I have built sites like that in the past for people who specifically wanted them that way---what the customer wants when I'm doing a site for somebody & they are paying... but I hardly ever do sites anymore. If I was though, nowadays I would advise strongly against it unless someone just insisted.)

mdvaden
08-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Here is a webpage that epitomizes what I like in a website.

See how the main part that needs to be read is centered in the screen, and not much bigger than a page width?

http://www.barnsandcribs.com/

They took their background image color all the way left and right, but the text and photos are centered and easy to read.

I happen to like the colors on this one quite a bit.

cbscreative
09-02-2008, 04:22 PM
That is a nice site, md, very well done. It seems to work very well for their buisness model too. However, it would not work for everyone. Dark backgrounds with light text are risky for most businesses. The majority of sites need to use white or very light colors with high contrast, dark colors for text.

One reason the opposite works so well with this site is a strong emphasis on images, and the colors really add to that. For this same reason, photographer sites work well with dark backgrounds. But again, that's in the exception category.