PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else?

humble1
08-05-2008, 11:16 PM
I am so sick of moving toys and balls off the lawns when i come to do fert and weed control. I almost want to put a clause and charge in next years contract for extra time moving toys or picking up branches etc.

What do you guys/gals do???

DUSTYCEDAR
08-05-2008, 11:20 PM
hate that part

Whitey4
08-05-2008, 11:54 PM
I put them someplace where it will annoy the home owner. On top of the table on the deck. On the front porch. On the hood of the car in the driveway. Amazingly, a few get the message... the others don't.

mngrassguy
08-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Like Whitey said, toss them in the garden, under the deck or into the shrubs. Cuss a bit, suck it up and move on. It's all part of the game.

Know a guy who put a bike behind a car in the drive once. CRUNCH
I would never do that.

Pilgrims' Pride
08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
The way I see it unkess these customers are "call aheads" and they know you are coming its just tough luck.
Ya I know its a pain. I've got my share too.
But thats just the way it goes.

Ric
08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
The way I see it unkess these customers are "call aheads" and they know you are coming its just tough luck.
Ya I know its a pain. I've got my share too.
But thats just the way it goes.

Yo

The world doesn't revolve around me and I am in the service business. Therefore I give service and move the valuable equipment left on the Home owners OWN property if it is in my way.

What I won't put up with is Lawn ornaments like pink flamingos and wind chimes stuck all over the yard as a way of saying how tacky their taste is.

I once quit a customer because the wife kept planting in the middle of the lawn without any planting beds My experience is, it is the foreigners that seem to like to do extra decorations in the wrong spots.

Pilgrims' Pride
08-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Yo

The world doesn't revolve around me and I am in the service business. Therefore I give service and move the valuable equipment left on the Home owners OWN property if it is in my way.

What I won't put up with is Lawn ornaments like pink flamingos and wind chimes stuck all over the yard as a way of saying how tacky their taste is.

I once quit a customer because the wife kept planting in the middle of the lawn without any planting beds My experience is, it is the foreigners that seem to like to do extra decorations in the wrong spots.

Ric,

I think you misunderstood.

It is MY tough luck!
Even some of my call aheads arent ready sometimes.
Ya it means it slows down my pace a bit, but picking up after the little ones it is the right thing to do.

americanlawn
08-06-2008, 05:29 PM
One good thing is these folks are getting good use out of they lawns -- kids, dogs, etc playing in the yard. Problem is, these people drive up the overall cost of doing business. So we do what the government does....we shift the added expense on to others. :hammerhead:

My favorite is dog manure. When I get a gewy chunk 'on me boot' (Uriah Heep quote), I go straight to their front step and 'dispose of it properly'. :laugh:

Whitey4
08-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I was talking from a mowing standpoint... when they KNOW what day and even what time I come every week. Treatments are a different issue. At least I haven't put any dog turds on their backyard tables.

phasthound
08-06-2008, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=Ric;2453854]Yo

QUOTE]

Holy crap!!!!! I agree with you Ric. :)

We are in the service business. As soon as you forget we serve at the customers pleasure, it's time to find another line of work. Maybe working for the government. :p

We make our living by making our clients yards beautiful and useful for our paying clients.

Moving clients property is courteous and should be respected. Disrespect them & they have every right to fire you. There is always another lawn care company.

Charge a little more, provide great service, be successful. payup

Larry, as far as dog crap goes, a quick rinse with the hose (theirs or yours) and it's gone. Somehow I really can't picture you wiping it on the front step.

americanlawn
08-06-2008, 06:05 PM
If the lawn is out of control with dog crap due to obvious neglect, I figure they probably won't even notice if their dog crap is decaying at their front door. My problem is I don't like tracking dog crap into my nice truck...it stinks it up. That ain't right. Plus there's a disease issue. I've sprayed my boots off with my spray guns before, but .........we dont carry water in our tanks (if you know what I mean). :laugh:
't
[QUOTE=Ric;2453854]Yo

QUOTE]

We are in the service business. As soon as you forget we serve at the customers pleasure, it's time to find another line of work. Maybe working for the government. :p

We make our living by making our clients yards beautiful and useful for our paying clients.

Moving clients property is courteous and should be respected. Disrespect them & they have every right to fire you. There is always another lawn care company.

Larry, as far as dog crap goes, a quick rinse with the hose (theirs or yours) and it's gone. Somehow I really can't picture you wiping it on the front step.

phasthound
08-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Larry, just busting on ya, buddy.

americanlawn
08-06-2008, 07:09 PM
I know that. Might run out of Mosquito Barrier soon. (got 3 to spray tomorrow) I'll be buying from you from now on. Also, we're still considering your fert formulations. Your Iowa bud, Larry :waving:

Larry, just busting on ya, buddy.

Whitey4
08-06-2008, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=Ric;2453854]Yo

QUOTE]

I'll say it again... for weekly mowing, it's a different issue. They KNOW when I'm coming...they leave all sorts of stuff out...sprinkler and hoses, toys, dog turds, lawn chairs, tables, basketball hoops, even freakin Maypoles! Spraying trips... different story.

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Whitey: I feel your pain. Using a W/B it's easy enough for me to kick things as I ride by on the sulky. If it were bad enough that it were significantly affecting my time on the lawn on a consistent basis, I'd likely just suck it up until fall and then jack their price up accordingly.

Hogjaw
08-07-2008, 12:28 AM
I was talking from a mowing standpoint... when they KNOW what day and even what time I come every week. Treatments are a different issue. At least I haven't put any dog turds on their backyard tables.

That's a good one.:rolleyes:..............maybe next time I carefully lift it up from the grass and place one on the table, one in each of their chairs, and 8" out directly in front of the back door.

Its a great aroma when we split through some freshly laid ones when the Arkansas temp is hoovering right at 100 and the humidity is so close behind and there is no wind............CALM WIND.:cry:

phasthound
08-07-2008, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE=phasthound;2454012]

I'll say it again... for weekly mowing, it's a different issue. They KNOW when I'm coming...they leave all sorts of stuff out...sprinkler and hoses, toys, dog turds, lawn chairs, tables, basketball hoops, even freakin Maypoles! Spraying trips... different story.

Here's a wonderful story from my friendly state of NJ. :hammerhead:
http://www.landscapeonline.com:80/research/article/11005

phasthound
08-07-2008, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=phasthound;2455112][QUOTE=Whitey4;2454311]

Here's a wonderful story from my friendly state of NJ. :hammerhead:]

But the good news is WE HAVE BRETT!!!

Ric
08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=phasthound;2454012]

Sorry!

Regardless if you are there every Monday morning at exactly 10.39 AM you are still the LAWN BOY, get used to it. People are going to be people and that is why they pay you, so they don't have to worry about it. If you want people kissing your Butt? Go back to school and be a Doctor.

Whitey4
08-08-2008, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=Whitey4;2454311]

Sorry!

Regardless if you are there every Monday morning at exactly 10.39 AM you are still the LAWN BOY, get used to it. People are going to be people and that is why they pay you, so they don't have to worry about it. If you want people kissing your Butt? Go back to school and be a Doctor.

Yack away all you want, but I'm not moving basketball hoops with backboards around... if you thing that is part of YOUR job, then fine... makes you a moving man.....

rcreech
08-08-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't mind picking up small items such as dog toys or kids toys...becasue they don't know when I'm coming.

But I am not going to move, picnic tables, Trampolines (sp) or larger items. They just get sprayed around!

I will spot spray around them...but not going to move them!

jbturf
08-08-2008, 09:27 PM
argh-- Dog Shat!

my number 2 all time pet peeve

it pisses me off far worse than the toys and debris all over
the lawn

greendoctor
08-09-2008, 04:22 AM
I don't mind picking up small items such as dog toys or kids toys...becasue they don't know when I'm coming.

But I am not going to move, picnic tables, Trampolines (sp) or larger items. They just get sprayed around!

I will spot spray around them...but not going to move them!

I do not mind picking up and setting aside small things either. I always ask myself:"how would I feel if the professional applicator sprayed all over my dog's chew toy or my kid's ball". For me, there would be a first and last time of that happening. Someone that callous probably lacks the judgement to hold an applicator's license. Big stuff like playsets or trampolines get sprayed around and if I am spraying trees in the yard, they will get covered. I have very good communication with all of my clients. There is no problem with me asking them to cover things or move things that must not get sprayed.

greendoctor
08-09-2008, 04:27 AM
My type of clientele usually does not have young children or pets either. Their lawn and landscape is their pet and child. Someone with kids all over and a dog normally is not interested in keeping their lawn in show condition. That is how it works out in Green Hawaii. People have an idea of what it takes and have made the choice not to expose their family to the chemicals.

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I always ask myself:"how would I feel if the professional applicator sprayed all over my dog's chew toy or my kid's ball"

Had a guy last year who had a very small backyard - maybe 1.5M. ALWAYS completely covered in toys. I always did my best to clean it up, much as I resented the customer for failing to do so when he KNEW I was coming...

Anyhow, last year he calls me up and cusses me out like he has Tourrettes b/c I missed one and sprayed a dog chew toy. Oops.

He's the first spraying customer I've ever just, flat out, quit on... I understand where he's coming from, but I don't make anywhere NEAR enough to tolerate that type of abuse...

greendoctor
08-10-2008, 02:57 AM
No one talks to me like that and retains me as their lawn care professional. I am being nice when I send them a notice of cancellation. It has not happened to me since becoming self-employed, but I remember the kind of clients my former employer associated with. One foul mouth SOB had the phone slammed on him. He should be so lucky that I did not know where lived and the fact that I was someone's employee at the time.