PDA

View Full Version : New Scag dealer in town, feed up with Dixie Chopper dealer

PLS-Tx
08-05-2008, 11:25 PM
The Scag dealer also sells Stihl, which we like. He has had Stihl for some time, but just started selling Scag a few weeks ago. I met the owner and his mechanic, both nice guys, seems like they would be good to deal with.

The store is a Ace hardware store, they have been in town for as long as I can remember. My uncle is a home builder, and he has used them for years.

My question is, does anyone use a shop that is not strictly a mower shop?

I have done some reading on here the last few days and it seems like Scag is a good ZTR. I have never cut with one, but I do plan to demo one when I have time.

I don't like change, we have used the same dealer for 8-10 yrs I guess, but the quality is not there. Nothing that we bring to them is ever fixed the way it should be. I could give examples but this is long enough.

Thanks

Cashio13
08-06-2008, 12:06 AM
I would say no matter what the store is, as long as they fix your equipment and fix it right that's all that matters. I think where it is a hardware store you will be getting much more of the personable staff because they are dealing with many different people, age groups, and genders on a daily basis.

tlb9596
08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I would say no matter what the store is, as long as they fix your equipment and fix it right that's all that matters. I think where it is a hardware store you will be getting much more of the personable staff because they are dealing with many different people, age groups, and genders on a daily basis.

That and they will likely have alot more products that you'll use on a daily basis like lawn and garden equipment and supplies, etc. :waving:

tacoma200
08-06-2008, 06:58 PM
I would check to make sure they have a really good mechanic. Many of the stores around here sell ZTR's and have a half trained part time mechanic. That would be my only concern. I had to switch dealers because of a poor trained mechanic at a local dealer.

PLS-Tx
08-07-2008, 12:17 AM
I would check to make sure they have a really good mechanic. Many of the stores around here sell ZTR's and have a half trained part time mechanic. That would be my only concern. I had to switch dealers because of a poor trained mechanic at a local dealer.

I did meet the mechanic, and he said he has been to school for Stihl, and he will going to the Scagg school soon. They have also told me that they will work on the Shindaiwa and Stihl equipment I have now, so I see how this goes 1st. It won't take much to out shine the dealer I have now.

I'm also thinking about Gravely, we have what seems to be a good dealer close to us. I would like to consider Exmark, but the dealer is to far from us.

mowerbrad
08-07-2008, 09:53 AM
As long as they are able to fix your equipment, thats really all that matters. You should also see if they have a loaner mower available in case they don't have your mower ready when you need it.

tlb9596
08-07-2008, 11:29 AM
I did meet the mechanic, and he said he has been to school for Stihl, and he will going to the Scagg school soon. They have also told me that they will work on the Shindaiwa and Stihl equipment I have now, so I see how this goes 1st. It won't take much to out shine the dealer I have now.

I'm also thinking about Gravely, we have what seems to be a good dealer close to us. I would like to consider Exmark, but the dealer is to far from us.

What part of TX are you in?

Tharrell
08-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I recently discovered an Ace store that sells Stihl and only services what they sell. I posted about how it's the best hardware store I've ever seen. I found a lot of hard to find stuff there too. If they sold Scag too, it would just be too much!
Ha!!! I think that's the way to go for dealers, more foot traffic than just equipment.
If your Ace is like mine, do it! Tony

dura to the max
08-07-2008, 04:11 PM
our local ace sells stihl, but their prices seem through the roof. for instance, i spool for my trimmer was $17 at ace, $7 at my dealer. not an entire head, just the spool. scags are great mowers, i had 2 w/b that i traded in on a exmark z. great machines.

Green Up
08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
I have 2 48" Scag Tiger Cubs and love them. I have a very good mechanic. However, With Scag you will not have to put it in the shop very much. I have 1290 hrs on one and never had any big trouble with it. I have had to change belts very little and air filters. I have tried several other ones, but like the Scag the best. I just tried a Scag wb 36" Pro V and liked it. I am considering on buying it. Tough equipment.

capetrees
08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
I own a Scag 36" and love it. Very easy to maintain yourself and the dealer is great, very quick turn around if it does go in for repairs.

ambersLawnmowing
08-07-2008, 09:37 PM
My question is, does anyone use a shop that is not strictly a mower shop?

I use my ACE for all of my repairs, There is one down fall to it. They generally have to order every part and that takes me down a mower for atleaste a day or two. Like many others said as long as the work is quality it doesnt matter if they serve tacos upfront and repair equipment in the back. Also because i do all of my business through them they give me better deals on new stuff and they also give me Great rates if i need to rent skidsteer/tractor, ect. But the biggest reason for using a general shop and not a dealer is they are not going to try and sell me something every fricking time i walk in. I used a J/D dealer for about 6months and got just sick of the pushy sales people, YES i know it is there job but they all new me and new i wasnt there to buy anything after awhile i said enough and started with the shop at ACE.