PDA

View Full Version : need help generating customers

travolta87
08-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Hey guys

Great site, I am looking at starting my own lawn care biz and have seen that the majority of customers are generated though word of mouth and referals etc

Has anyone ever tried door to door sales? Has anyone ever had any success?

Also how do you figure out your rates? Hourly sq footage etc?

dago52
08-06-2008, 02:11 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=241216

refer to post 8

hexfactor
08-06-2008, 02:55 AM
Hey T-87, I also just started.
I started with door hangars. Out of about 250-300, i got 3 accounts with one potential. not the best turnover, but they still pay for the cost of material. Door--->door can be soliciting in some, places be careful. I also have a guy from church that passes any extra customers he has calling as he's maxed out got one account from that. What i have found out though is that the people you do get from the door hangars talk to others and i ve picked up just as many accounts from door hangars as from my customers talking to other people. One account i got from truck advertising. I did yard work for a local sign shop (about 4 hours worth) and they stickered up my truck with logos and all. I've also picked up accounts from my flower bed work. People come up to you while your doing flower beds and ask you to do an estimate for their flower beds. I started june 18 and im about to have 8 accounts. Getting customers is a little bit of everything. Lots of walking and talking, and from what im seeing, after you get a few customers, they start doing your advertising for you.
Hope this helps.
My rate is $60 bucks an hour, and most people kindly pay it. If it takes 45 minutes to do, its 45 bucks. My minimum for pulling the equipment off the trailer is 35, no matter how small the lawn. I do roundup a church parking lot for less than my minimum, but thats all i do and its on the way to my other job. The pay may differ in your area. It just depends on what other companies are charging.

Kmikutis
08-06-2008, 06:53 AM
I also charge a dollar a minute. Door hangers have been my best source of advertising short of word of mouth. The thing I like about the door hangers is you can choose what area you want to work in..

KJM

travolta87
08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
hey dago

I think you and i are on the same page, i am in a similar situation and would love to hear your advice on your pitch to customers, pricing, and how you close them

mowerbrad
08-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Not too much success with door to door sales as it is kinda frowned upon in my area. But word of mouth is of coarse my best advertiser.

Blunt
08-07-2008, 11:27 AM
I purchased extra cloning pods for my generator and now have a steady supply of happy customers. Acmefastactingcloningpods.com for all of your customer generating needs. :D

I also realized a week into my first newspaper add that i had reversed the last 2 digits in my phone number. This did not seem to work well for me. :wall