PDA

View Full Version : How soon can I raise prices?

South Florida Lawns
08-06-2008, 04:14 AM
Well I just got a new yard and I already see a bunch of stuff that I didn't see when first put in the bid. Things that are a pain, that will make mowing go slower. Like a new back gate thats smaller than the one I first measured. gotta use the wb now. Weird side slope that needs more trimming cuz I can't access it with the z as much as I thought. I pretty much screwed the price on this.

Alright my ? is when can I raise my price? Even if its an increase of $5, it will make me feel better. I just started mowing it this month. Oh this house is 4 sale so hopefully when it does sell I can jack the price to justify.

Roger
08-06-2008, 07:39 AM
.... it will make me feel better. ...

Making you feel better isn't the issue. Rather, the issue is being a lawn care professional with integrity that honors the price you quoted to do the task. Your post indicates you misquoted. That is not the customer's problem, rather your problem. The customer really doesn't care about how you feel, but getting the work done for the price that was quoted to them, and the price they expected to pay.

LushGreenLawn
08-06-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm confused, did they change the size of the gate after you started mowing?

kmwharley
08-06-2008, 09:07 AM
If you misquoted as it appears then the price increase would be at the contract renewal. If the customer changed something that makes you job more time consuming or harder (if they put in a smaller gate) then you should be able to adjust accordingly and let them know why.

Runner
08-06-2008, 12:49 PM
If they changed the gate...you change the price. This is no different than you starting a place, and every week they add pink flamingos, ceramic frogs, trampolines, and all kinds of other stuff to mow around.

Charles
08-06-2008, 01:26 PM
If they changed the gate...you change the price. This is no different than you starting a place, and every week they add pink flamingos, ceramic frogs, trampolines, and all kinds of other stuff to mow around.

I agree with that

HighlandLC
08-06-2008, 01:35 PM

Had one, after 1 year they fenced in the rear yard, with a gate I could berrely squeeze through. Then they kept the dogs outside with what dogs do naturally. It wasnt worth the $, so I dumped them.

Runner
08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
LOL...this reminds me of some years ago, when I took care of this donut and ice cream shop. It started with a sign or two being added, but I drew the line and had to raise the price when I showed up and saw two 3 ft. tall ice cream sundaes and a 4 ft. long banana split to trim around!

South Florida Lawns
08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
yeah but I was thinking at the end of summer I will go ahead and rais a bunch of old customers. I was thinking of raising the price on this yard as well.

what do you think? I don't do contracts either.

Runner
08-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Do it now. You have NO idea what we'll be dealing with for fuel prices next year. You don't want to raise at the end of the season, then again at the beginning.

Sweet Tater
08-06-2008, 05:57 PM
You quoted the price. they put in a new smaller gate. I believe you can adjust the price because of that, but other than the gate you gotta just suck it up until next season.

CoopersLandscaping
08-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Well, your the one serving them. If you think you have a good enough reason, you jack them prices up as much as you want. Just have a better reason than just making you feal better

Genlandscape
08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
If the gate was changed after you bid the job, I would adjust the price accordingly, as far as selling your self short...S**T happens and we've all probably done it once or twice, if you are not increasing prices now, do it next season.

Dave_005
08-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Making you feel better isn't the issue. Rather, the issue is being a lawn care professional with integrity that honors the price you quoted to do the task. Your post indicates you misquoted. That is not the customer's problem, rather your problem. The customer really doesn't care about how you feel, but getting the work done for the price that was quoted to them, and the price they expected to pay.

I Absolutely Agree ... You gave your price ! YOU told the customer i Will Do it for this Amount. They accepted your price. so live and learn .. we ALL under quote once in a while. i say you gave your price so stick by your word and Do It For the Price you gave. then raise it next season. Integrity goes a Long Way.. if an LCO gave me a price and i accepted it, then he comes back later and wants to raise it already, then personally i would fire him and find an LCO more professional who Stands by his word and the Price he gives. i know there are some on here who will say to raise it now. but to me thats Not professional and can be interpreted as a bait and switch, (give one price to get the customer, then once they sign say i missquoted and need to raise the price). Stand by your word and the Price you gave for this season.

STIHL GUY
08-06-2008, 10:53 PM
when it sells it will be the new owners choice if you mow it or not right?

South Florida Lawns
08-06-2008, 11:06 PM
yeah I'm just pissed a little about the whole situation. I'm just gonna raise the price this fall. and I'll be good.