PDA

View Full Version : help for a ztr

texastruecuttin
08-06-2008, 04:32 AM
I have been looking hard and long for a new ztr and plan to purchase one before next season my closest dealer sell ghoppers scag gravely snapper toro and ferris but will consider others too. i have been trying to demo but only have demoed the scag cub and was very happy with the machine and the cut but had one big concern. i was mowing several of my accounts and me and the machine were getting beat to death. It was so rough riding i felt like everything was going to come lose or break. i am more concerned about the machine than myself. i would say about 50 percent of my accounts are open country lots and about 40 percent are rough as hell. i am looking for the best ztr for this kind of mowing. I know the ferris suspension will help the ride a bunch but i am wondering if it will hold up to the rough terrain as good as the others. i have a buddy with the ferris and see the cut is not perfect which makes me shy away a little. All the other brands i know are good choses and are all built alike but i need a mower that can go through the rough and hilly terrain but also leave the best cut possible for the other 50 percent of nice residential yards. So i am asking if yall can give me any help on what mower you've used or heard of that is good for my situation Thank yall

Big C
08-06-2008, 04:51 AM
Look at an Exmark lazer with the custom seat.

mjealey
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Take a really good look at the Snapper Pro line. I was in the exact same position as you a few months ago. I bought the Snapper Pro s150x. It has a 21 HP Kawasaki and a 48" deck. Little over 50 hours and has been great. Snapper and Ferris are basically the same thing. Made by the same people. Only differnece is the Snapper does not have the suspension on it. Cut is very good. Deck does a really good job of dispersing clippings wet or dry. Another positive is it comes with fan cooled 12cc pumps and 15cc wheel motors, bigger than most in its class. Mower is fairly well priced at $5899. You can upgrade to a 23 HP Kohler, suspension seat, and flat free font tires for $500.00 more.

Check out www.snapperpro.com.

mjealey
08-06-2008, 08:59 PM
One other thing, most ZTR's are not very good on hills. The rear ends usually wants to slide out from them on hills. You might want to look into a walk behind if you plan on mowing some hills.

texastruecuttin
08-06-2008, 09:49 PM
thanks for the replies / My dealers has very good deals going on right now for his ferris line what made you go with the snapper over ferris Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mjealey
08-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Here were my reasons:

1. No Ferris dealer in Knoxville area. I have riden on them before. Most of my family is from Ohio, and know a few neighbors that run them and there are a few dealerships around our area in Ohio.

2. Price. For me it came down to the Snapper and the Scag Tiger Cub. I really like Scag's and they are great machine. The Scag was 19HP Kawi and 48" deck that cost $6999.00. The Snapper comes with 21 Hp Kawi and 48" deck that cost $5899. Scag's have 10cc pumps. Snappers came with 12cc pumps and 15cc wheel motors and the pumps are fan cooled. I demoed both of them and in my opinion the Snapper cut just as well as the Scag. Scags might have the advantage in wet grass though. Overall I feel that the Snappers are built just as well overall. Saved $1,100.00 and got 2 extra HP. I have 50 hrs on mine with absolutely no problems.

3. Dealer. My dealer was great to do business with. Still to this day he calls about every 2 or 3 weeks and asks me how it is, and if I have had any problems. He had called me after I had my mower for about 2 weeks and told me that Snapper has had a problem with the gas caps and they weren's venting enough and caused vapor lock. Ordered new gas caps and didn't charge me to make sure I didn't have any problems.

Snapper has three models.

1. s50x- small intro commercial mower. 48" and 26 horse Briggs.
2. s150x - 48" or 52" decks and 21 kawi or 23 Kohler
3. s200x - 61" 27 hp kohler and a few other choices.

I would suggest Snapper to anybody on here. Just like the Ferris basically without the suspension.

Hope this helps. If you need more info let me know and I will give you my e-mail and will give you my number.

texastruecuttin
08-07-2008, 03:05 PM
That sounds like a good price for the snapper. Since the snapper and ferris are similar I have been trying to get a holt of a ferris demo with the suspension but the dealer only has demo in the 61 in and 72 in I have a lco that lives down the road that runs a snapper pro z and never thought anything of it but i guess
Ill go see what he has to say . Thanks for the help

mjealey
08-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Go try one. They are built well, and a good place to start. Let us know what you think.

J&R Landscaping
08-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Any of those brands you listed have good machines. The Scag tiger cub is a more compact unit. Demo a full size unit and you will see the difference. I would also opt for a suspension seat if the machine does not have one standard.

myrtle12
08-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Try out a ferris.I have a1500z and i love it.Nice cut,suspension,built like a tank.

Robin
08-10-2008, 07:38 AM
In January this year I bought a 48" Snapper pro czt with with the 19 Kawasaki that I bought as a demo (30 hrs) and so far it has been great. The controls seemed a little touchy at first but now around 100 hrs they seem to smooth and better than the Hustler Z that I use to operate. As for the price it was atleast $1000 less than all of the other commercial units I looked at. I too looked at the ferris because of the suspension , but I could not justify the extra cost for a few rough accounts. Besides the more moving parts the more there is to break down. I once had a grasshopper out front deck that was shaft driven and you talk about a maintenance headache. Having to swap out a drive shaft and pillar block bearing and u-joints for that thing was not only time consuming it was very expensive.
I am a firm believer of the "Less is More" concept.

Hawg City Lawns
08-11-2008, 12:03 PM
find an everride hornet or warrior with a michigan seat