PDA

View Full Version : Moving up from a 21"?

joed
08-06-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm considering buying a mid size walk-behind. (32-36"). My choices are:

1. Toro fixed deck 32" ($2800 Canadian)
2. Ferris Hydrocut 32" ($2800 Canadian)
3. Ferris Hydrocut 36" ($3400 Canadian)
4. Toro Floating Deck 32" ($3800 Canadian)
5. Toro Fixed Deck 36" Turboforce deck ($3800)
6. Toro Floating Deck 36" Turboforce deck ($4500 Canadian)
7. Wright Stander 32/36" ($6000 Canadian)
8. Exmark/Toro/Gravely 34Z compact ZTR ($6000)

Most of my properties are 2000 to 6000 sq feet in turf area. Some are flat and some have hills and other landscape obstacles.

Would it be worth it to move up to a 32/36" unit or should I just stick with 21"
How much time would I save?
Which unit above would be best for my properties?

Thanks.

joed
08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Any advice?

TomberLawn
08-06-2008, 01:26 PM
With yards that small, I probably wouldn't go with a compact ztr. I've heard good things about the Ferris HydroCut. I may be checking one of these out in the future. A dual hydro will handle the hills better if they are steep, but if they aren't bad, a single should be able to maneuver on them too. I'm not sure if any of the mowers you have listed are gear drive, but I'd definitely go for a hydro. What are you going to transport a new mower in? You'll save a ton of time with a 32 or 36".

mowerbrad
08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
If you don't have any really small gates to get through I would go with a 36" floating deck walk behind. I would recommend the toro with the Turbo Force deck. You will easily double your productivity, escpecially if you get a sulky or proslide with it.

MTR999
08-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I guess Toronto is not that hot at all? Out of what you listed as "upgrade," I would say that is not an upgrade one bit. A 32-36" is not that faster than a 21" on small property, a hydro 36" is little bit faster but not much.
All of what you listed, Gravely 34Z will be the money making machine, save engergy on mowing but you will use energy on trimming and edging, blowing. If you want to make a living you need to have a Z as your primary mower, keep your 21" for backup.
WB has its niche but you can't use them as bread and butter, no way. I live in Florida, I have not seen a single LCO that operate exclusively with WB, and those who had done were all out of business. DON't forget heat, sun, rain in the afternoon here is extremely brutal, it is like walking in a flaming bushes or cornfield! the faster the better machine!

jkilov
08-06-2008, 05:36 PM
A 32-36" is not that faster than a 21" on small property, a hydro 36" is little bit faster but not much.
I'm not too sure about that. 21" mowers are just not productive. Who wants mine, it's sitting on the trailer doing nothing. I'd say a 36" hydro is almost twice as productive. Definitively worth the "upgrade".

If you don't have any really small gates to get through I would go with a 36" floating deck walk behind.
A floating deck on a 36" does'nt bring much if you ask me. More like a waste of money. A fixed 36" deck does'nt scalp much.

I've heard good things about the Ferris HydroCut. I may be checking one of these out in the future.
It's a solid machine. I use it for mowing fenced areas and under trees. Height adjustment is easy. But it's heavy, long and tires you out so it won't work as a main mower.

Go with a fixed deck, 32", 36" or 40" or whatever clears your gates and finds place on the trailer. Gear drive really isn't it, get a hydro. Single will do for compact mowers like a Quick 36, anything heavier needs twin hydros.

lawnboy dan
08-07-2008, 06:15 PM
get the toro floater deck 32. easy to change deck height adjustments and its a bullit proof mower

shepoutside
08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I see a Quick 32/36 isn't on your list. You can get these in Oakville, and I'm sure in GTA.

lifetree
08-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I see a Quick 32/36 isn't on your list. You can get these in Oakville, and I'm sure in GTA.

I thought about saying the same thing but decided not to ... then I saw your post !!