PDA

View Full Version : New recommendations on a spray gun

txgrassguy
08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Currently have a 50 gallon Lesco sprayer with the 4 hp Kawi/hydro diaphragm pump, 200' of 3/8" hose.
Current gun is the stainless high pressure Lesco with the adjustable nozzle.
Works well for higher volume/pressure spraying for trees and tall ornamentals but I am currently looking for a better pesticide application gun for turfgrass.
I have tried the green Lesco "chem lawn" gun but in short it sucks.
Droplet size is nice but the trigger is awkward and uncomfortable and I don't like the cone spray pattern.
Any recommendations for a better gun would be appreciated.
The reason I do not typically use the high pressure gun is excessive atomization/drift I observe even at reduced pressure.

grassguy_
08-06-2008, 02:45 PM
go to www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=26
a tee jet gun is probably what you are looking for.

Ric
08-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Steve

I like to use a wand with the ball valve shut off. They come in different lengths and I like the 54" long wand because I can swing it side to side very low to the ground and cover a lot of area. I use the the Tee Jet flat fan and my 4 hp Honda can push a 3 gpm tip if need be.

olive123
08-06-2008, 04:31 PM
a lawn wand is a must in your arsenal

americanlawn
08-06-2008, 05:40 PM
We switched to the TeeJet lawn gun many years ago. It's much lighter -- no more wrist & elbow pain. We also switched from 3/8 to 1/2 hose (400 ft) to reduce the "initial burst" from the gun. We usually use the gray TeeJet nozzle.

We use the J-D9 for other stuff, including trees & shrubs. For tall trees, we use a tree rifle at 400 - 600 psi.

heritage
08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Also check out this wand from Rittenhouse http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=71

I bought one in the spring and put the TKSS10 Spray Tip on it.

Really great coverage (Fungicides) and no drift.

I was happy with it so far and just changed the 3/4 hose connector to the quick disconnects I use from Oesco in Mass.

The wand is threaded 1/2" NPT, if you decide to have it "Bolted To The Hose" so to speak.

I will use this wand, this fall on a few lawns that get Broadleaf and Fert together.....Low Vol Perma Green on the rest.........I am spoiled now!

@ 40 PSI at the pump using 3/8" hose 400' , I was applying 1/2 gal per 1,000.

Pete

PSUTURFGEEK
08-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Sprayerpartsdepot.com has every gun you could ever want or need.

rcreech
08-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I started out using a wand...and then bought a JD-9 for tree and shrub applications.

I like it because you have awesome pressure and I can shoot about 40-60 ft with it.

I now use my JD-9 for perimeter pest apps, spot spraying and many other applications. It works awesome for spraying under decks and hard to reach places.

I no longer us my wand for anything!

txgrassguy
08-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the responses.
RCREECH, the Lesco high pressure gun I already have is apparently the JD-9.
I'll look into the wands as I require a much larger droplet size to avoid drift.

Hogjaw
08-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Also check out this wand from Rittenhouse http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=71

I bought one in the spring and put the TKSS10 Spray Tip on it.

Really great coverage (Fungicides) and no drift.

I was happy with it so far and just changed the 3/4 hose connector to the quick disconnects I use from Oesco in Mass.

The wand is threaded 1/2" NPT, if you decide to have it "Bolted To The Hose" so to speak.

I will use this wand, this fall on a few lawns that get Broadleaf and Fert together.....Low Vol Perma Green on the rest.........I am spoiled now!

@ 40 PSI at the pump using 3/8" hose 400' , I was applying 1/2 gal per 1,000.

Pete

Good to find your post. :hammerhead:

Have lawnjet and tk22-20 nozzle, 2 gpm. Trying to kill crab and broadleafs, 1 oz per gal, and at 40 psi only some msma is retainded on the leaft to eventually turn it yellow. Very little kill. We will up to 60 psi tomorrow to try to get spray broken down so the droplets will land and stick to the small broadleaft and kill. Currently, they hit and roll off. Wand is held right at 3' mark above ground.

Really amazing how many headaches we get trying to kill weeds when you are so close.

Thinking about ordering the tkss10 or the 110deg flats from Rittenhouse.

Wonder since we have the space savers with diaphragm pump and others have impeller pumps it this could be part of problem, us not getting enough pressure to break droplets down.

something came to mind while writing this, the lawnjet gun made a gushing/gurgling noise last summer when we were doing crab work, This year just steady spew sound. I may have pressure down too much this year???

Thanks in advance for responding.

Looks like temperature may be dropping here in NE Arkansas tomorrow afternoon. Will be welcomed.

Take care.

greendoctor
08-07-2008, 03:30 AM
I prefer a Teejet AA23L 7676-24 with the proper size fan tip to apply the desired volume/M. At 40PSI at the gun and normal walking speed, an XR11008 tip puts down 1 gallon. I have no problems getting contact herbicides such as MSMA or Quicksilver to work. I do have a Teejet AA31 with a 45 elbow and a Turbofloodjet nozzle TFVS10. At 40 PSI, this puts down 3 gallons per M. I save this for fertilizers only. Floodjet nozzles do not have the defined pattern, flat fan nozzles do and leaf coverage is poor. For shrub work, its a wand with two disc-core nozzles on a swivel and an Arag Turbo Gun for tall trees.

americanlawn
08-07-2008, 06:08 PM
The JD-9 has several tip sizes available. I usually use a fairly small orafice, but sometimes I'll use a larger which greatly reduces drift (you go thru more gpm though). Today I sprayed 100 gallons of Mosquito Barrier with a JD-9 (small nozzle).

Thanks for the responses.
RCREECH, the Lesco high pressure gun I already have is apparently the JD-9.
I'll look into the wands as I require a much larger droplet size to avoid drift.

heritage
08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Good to find your post. :hammerhead:

Have lawnjet and tk22-20 nozzle, 2 gpm. Trying to kill crab and broadleafs, 1 oz per gal, and at 40 psi only some msma is retainded on the leaft to eventually turn it yellow. Very little kill. We will up to 60 psi tomorrow to try to get spray broken down so the droplets will land and stick to the small broadleaft and kill. Currently, they hit and roll off. Wand is held right at 3' mark above ground.

Really amazing how many headaches we get trying to kill weeds when you are so close.

Thinking about ordering the tkss10 or the 110deg flats from Rittenhouse.

Wonder since we have the space savers with diaphragm pump and others have impeller pumps it this could be part of problem, us not getting enough pressure to break droplets down.

something came to mind while writing this, the lawnjet gun made a gushing/gurgling noise last summer when we were doing crab work, This year just steady spew sound. I may have pressure down too much this year???

Thanks in advance for responding.

Looks like temperature may be dropping here in NE Arkansas tomorrow afternoon. Will be welcomed.

Take care.

Hey Hogjaw,

Get the tkss 10. The droplets much smaller as well as less volume per 1,000.

As I said before, I am getting 1/2 gal per K with this setup, and as you know the less water (to a point) as the carrier for Post-Herbicides, the better.

The gushing and spweing sounds you discribe are coming from the Check Valve, right before the nozzle.

When you get the pressure correct and it is CLEAN, it makes a nice constant Buzzzzzzz.

Take care,

Pete