PDA

View Full Version : College

derekarbeiter
08-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I know this is kind of an odd question, but I am trying to decide which path to choose in college. I am going into engineering science. I want to transfer this degree into either mechanical or ag engineering. My goal is to work for John Deere. However, I am at a point where I am having trouble deciding. If I work for John Deere, I will have to move 5 hours north, up to Moline IL. If I just get a regular Ag degree, I would be working in more of a dealer setting or for a seed company, but I would be able to stay in southern IL. My ultimate goal is to be in the Ag industry no matter what, but this is my delima. What do you guys think?

Grass Happens
08-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Make alot more money with working for something like John Deere, but if money isn't everything (and its not) stay close to home.

derekarbeiter
08-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the advice,

Yes money isnt everything, I would miss being away from my family. I do like northern illinois and iowa, which is most likely where I would be working. Its very similar to where I live now. Corn fields and more corn fields. I think I could get used to living 5 hours away but I dont know. Choosing a career is difficult. Thanks again.

ed2hess
08-29-2008, 10:57 PM
I went to college in 1960 to be a Mechanical Engineer and work as a test engineer with the tractor implement companies. Unfortunately when I got out in 1964 none of them was hiring so I moved into other things. I would stick with Mechanical Engineering there are a lot of companies that do design work associated with farming. I interviewed several in the Midwest area that were not nearly as big as John Deere. I ended up moving almost 1000 miles from my home and I regreted it many times. But 5 hours would not be bad.

LawnMan883
08-30-2008, 07:27 PM
I moved from nrothern illinois to michigan for college and stayed here. its about 4.5 hours home for me right now. its not bad. close enough to go if needed. i like where i am now and enjoy what i do. i had lived in northern illinois my whole life and never experianced anything different, so it was a good change for me. not that there is anything wrong with northern il...but i felt this was a new start.

derekarbeiter
08-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. As of now, I am in an engineering science degree at a jr college and am looking to transfer into an ag systems technology degree at SIU. I could work for JD, CNH, Kubota, Scag, Cat, and the list goes on and on, but my ultimate goal is of course JD. I dont think I want to sit behind a computer all day which is what many mechanical engineers do. I think I would like a more hands-on career such as a test engineer, quality engineer, sales rep, etc. and I think this degree would get me there. SIU does have alumni working at JD and Case as of now.