PDA

View Full Version : Stung for the 5th time

Daily Lawn/Landscape
08-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Been in the business for 7 yrs and up until 2 weeks ago had never been stung. 2 weeks go Friday, got stung 3 times at once while trimming shrubs. Had no reaction. Forward a week and a day, pulling weeds in beds before mulching and 1 comes out of the bush and nails my forearm. Within minutes the reaction hits. Jump in the truck and head to the nearest medical center and get a shot. Everything was good. Doc wrote me a script for an eppi pen.
Spent $77.00 on Saturday for the pen, put it to work today when I got hit again while blowing off a patio. He came down from a corner as I was walking past and got me in the head. The question I keep asking myself is, What the hell did I do to deserve this? LOL
Anyone else having a problem with wasp this year?

Sweet Tater
08-06-2008, 05:52 PM
I've been tagged twice this year and my dog got tagged 3 times. I thing they are a little worse tis year than last.

JRS Landscaping
08-06-2008, 06:01 PM
yea thefirst time you get stug you dont find out if your alergic the second time you do

razor1
08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Had one in the truck today, but he left peacefully. :clapping:

J&R Landscaping
08-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I got stung for the first time this season last Tuesday.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Got stung by something (wasp/yellowjacket?) near some trees I was mowing by. Tried to pull my mower away from the trees quick when another one got me. Both in the head, dull ache for an hour that was it. Told my customer I am not mowing near those trees anymore as there may be a nest in there...

CoopersLandscaping
08-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Yeah. Its just a part of the job. Those hings are dirty little bastards though arent they?!!

Genlandscape
08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
I was doing some site prep a couple of months ago. I was falling trees when I stepped in to a yellow jacket nest. I was hit several times(14 visible stings) not sure exactly how many but I would guess it was about 20 times. Hurt like hell, but fortunately no reaction.:cry:;)

Nosmo
08-06-2008, 06:55 PM
I got stung twice last month. One time just outside my shop the second time while standing on my front porch. Both times were from red wasps and both times they got me on the back of the head almost in the same spot.

I wasn't bothering them either time. But now the war is on I kill every one of those little devils when I can.

Nosmo

Charles
08-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I got stung twice last month. One time just outside my shop the second time while standing on my front porch. Both times were from red wasps and both times they got me on the back of the head almost in the same spot.

I wasn't bothering them either time. But now the war is on I kill every one of those little devils when I can.

Nosmo

Ya, you don't have to even touch Wasp nest for them to get you. They are very protective of their nest and go on offense without provocation. I usually hit bushes with a rake before trimming and make a run for it.:laugh: You have to hit or step on a Yellow Jacket/Hornet nest for them to attack

bohiaa
08-06-2008, 07:54 PM
did some research a few years back and found that bees LOVE perfume. and smell goods.

also found the deoderant had a ton of perfumes in them that attract bees and such.

I had a guy that he seemed to get stung a lot and or there were always bees around him. his shampoo was filled with perfumes, also found that some laundry soap will attract them.....

if ya gettin stung a lot, change something.............

Stillwater
08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
got nailed 9 times arm chest head, last year one of them near my eye I called it a day and went home.,

Charles
08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
did some research a few years back and found that bees LOVE perfume. and smell goods.

also found the deoderant had a ton of perfumes in them that attract bees and such.

I had a guy that he seemed to get stung a lot and or there were always bees around him. his shampoo was filled with perfumes, also found that some laundry soap will attract them.....

if ya gettin stung a lot, change something.............

Exactly! Thats why I have unscented everything--shampoo, soap, detergent(free and clear) and deodorant. Don't wear cologne

topsites
08-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Seeing how you're suddenly getting stung, one thing I might check into is if you have perhaps had a change of laundry / shower detergent or different soap / shampoo or deodorant?

I am saying because it could be the scent...
Something I thought I'd mention, thou this year they've left me alone,
scent wise I am not sure if that's good or bad :p

BUMBLE BEE
08-06-2008, 08:21 PM
It Sucks When Yoy Run Over The Nest

FIRESCOOBY
08-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah I got stung 7 times (at once) last week by yellow jackets after walking over the nest. Then got stung 6 times (at once) by yellow jackets while pulling weeds on a bank and found the nest. Monday got stung on nose, back of head, chin, both arms, and one got down my shirt and got my belly.

I hate those SOB's. I'm convinced He** will be full of yellow jackets and fire ants.

Charles
08-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I hate those SOB's. I'm convinced He** will be full of yellow jackets and fire ants.

Funny, I was doing this yard with the most aggressive and speedy fire ants of ever seen. They carpeted the ground. Within split seconds of every step they were on my shoes. I had to run to weedeat:laugh::cry:

Daily Lawn/Landscape
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I did change deodorant and shampoo. I'll try something differ ant and see if that helps. Everything else has stayed the same. Well except now I carry a couple cans of wasp and hornet spray and hit every nest I see. I'm a man on a mission with that stuff now.

MSS Mow
08-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I was weed whacking the side of a steep bank last year and the weed whacker hit the hole into their nest directly. I'd bet no one has ever seen me move so fast in my life. I only got stung once though, unbelievable. They were pissed....can't really blame them I guess. Talk about a tornado hitting your house!!

laxative
08-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Ran over a nest today and escaped. I got lucky. Usually don't know they're there until they start stinging.

puppypaws
08-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Been in the business for 7 yrs and up until 2 weeks ago had never been stung.

That is just the "law of average" coming into play. Do you have a clue how unbelievably lucky you have been for 7 yrs., your time just ran out. People that work in an office have been stung more than you in the last 7 yrs. Furthermore, your work is outside where you should be getting stung several times a year.

Count your past blessings and get ready because as you can see your luck has changed. When you get stung, shoot a little WD-40 on it immediately and you will never know it happened. This works on fire ant stings as well!