PDA

View Full Version : My Van's Graphics

Victor
08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Hey guys. I'm curious to see what you think about my van graphics. This is the layout the designer and I came up with. What do you think? I'm open to any comments, negative, or positive. Can you tell what service I've built my business around? :laugh: Thanks in advance for any opinions, or feedback.

RedMax Man
08-06-2008, 04:37 PM
"Lawn Fertilization" is a little to hard to read and would be worse if the van is moving fast.

The colors are kinda dull and washed out. bolder would be better on a white background.

Other than that, looks good to me.

JosephLawnCare
08-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Um no, the lawn fert font and color sucks. Everything else is cool. Are you tribal or something? Kinda looks like a tatoo that girls get on the bottom of the back. tramp stamp?

NOOB
08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
that is just a sketch Right
I can see its not installed yet from the home insect control and the () in the number its not wraped in the body line

Victor
08-06-2008, 04:53 PM
that is just a sketch Right
I can see its not installed yet from the home insect control and the () in the number its not wraped in the body line

That's right. It's just a sketch. He's going to go through and clean the shape of those letters up with some program on his computer somehow. The colors he's going to use are "safety orange" and "forest green." Both are just what I want. Nice, bold colors. The scanner I used made the colors wash out, or something. That, or it was the printer I used to print the picture on faded the picture.

Victor
08-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I just showed the layout to my brother and asked him what he thought of it and he said the big font at the top made my van look like the "Mystery Machine" from Scooby Doo! :laugh:

I think you guys are right. I think I'd be better off if I had the designer use the same font he used for my phone number and URL on the whole van. It's a nice, clean font and really easy to read.

Kennedy Landscaping
08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
yeah i was gonna say it looked photoshopped on there. like everything except the "Lawn Fert." font. Those vans sure are troopers.

RossP
08-06-2008, 07:34 PM
I like the Par 5 Lawn Care name! Although I don't think the font or colors help with the sort of "prestigious" and "quality" service that a golf course makes people think of.

Lawn Enforcer
08-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Um no, the lawn fert font and color sucks. Everything else is cool. Are you tribal or something? Kinda looks like a tatoo that girls get on the bottom of the back. tramp stamp?

Ha, one of my buddies got one of those tats on his lower back on our Senior Class trip!

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Vic:

I like it. Font is a bit wild, but not necessarily bad. Don't go with something boring, though. Make it POP from the rest of the information. That part of the badging is KEY to getting people's attention.

I wonder if there's a chance that people might fail to recognize that you do residential care, what with your company name and all. Might consider that in addition to what you've got.

Lastly: get some spinners and low profile tires on there! LOL!

STIHL GUY
08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
looks pretty good. make the lawn fert. bolder tho

JosephLawnCare
08-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Ha, one of my buddies got one of those tats on his lower back on our Senior Class trip!

then he must use it as a landing strip

RigglePLC
08-06-2008, 10:25 PM
I guess a dalmation is out. But a good graphic of a handsome looking guy pushing a spreader would be nice. Take a look at some of the nicer graphics you see on trucks around town. Culligan man, Trane AC, Budweiser. Great graphics are less expensive than a few years ago.

OBRYANMAINT
08-08-2008, 08:28 PM
i like the name..agree on improving the font to better read

your color choice will get their attention......thats good

turfcobob
08-09-2008, 07:07 AM
I had a hard time reading the Lawn Fertilization bit. Maybe my senior citizen eyes but moving it would be a tough read. Best I have seen is Mow Cow out of Virginia. A funny cow standing up and the name and phone in big black numbers. Hits you right way and easy to read.

JimmyStew
08-09-2008, 08:15 PM
I just showed the layout to my brother and asked him what he thought of it and he said the big font at the top made my van look like the "Mystery Machine" from Scooby Doo! :laugh:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the picture. I love it. I wouldn't change anything. The company name, list of services and phone number are all in easy to read fonts and big. Anyone seeing the van can read it well enough. Plus safety orange and forest green --- bright and eye catching. I don't know how big of an area you are in or how much competition you have, but once you've had that van around for a little while, people won't need to "read" whats on the side, they'll see the design and know its you. The only thing that concerns me a bit is that the largest thing on the van, and the most eye catching is not your company name. People unfamiliar with you might see the van and go home and look up Lawn Fertilization as the company name in the phone book.

South Florida Lawns
08-10-2008, 04:05 AM
I think the words Lawn Fertilization look a little whack. It throws the rest of the truck's graphics off. It kinda draws attention, but thats just because those words are BIG. I like the color and the rest of it, I just would not go with that font on the main words.

Victor
08-10-2008, 12:11 PM
I can definitely understand the love/hate opinions on the font my designer used for the words "Lawn Fertilization." I too have a love/hate feeling about that font. When I went to my designer and told him I wanted those two words to really pop, he sat down and hand-drew those letters in that "Gothic" font.

I love how that font grabs attention, but like a lot of others here have said in this thread, those two words might be a little hard to read even though they would be 2 feet tall. Because of that, I considered having my designer use a font called "Tubular." It's a much cleaner and easier to read font, that should still stand out and grab attention. I'm sure "Tubular" font won't grab as much attention as that "Gothic" font would, but anyone who saw the "Tubular" font in 2 foot tall letters would be able to read the words from 400 yards away.

I'm really not sure what to do here. :dizzy:

Victor
08-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Here's the "Tubular" font I was considering. If I had him use it, I'd have him put a green shadow around the letters to help them pop. As you can see, it's not as flashy as the "Gothic" font, but it is much cleaner. It's also much easier to read.

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Here's the "Tubular" font I was considering. If I had him use it, I'd have him put a green shadow around the letters to help them pop. As you can see, it's not as flashy as the "Gothic" font, but it is much cleaner. It's also much easier to read.

I like the original over Tubular. Just my $0.02 ...

DUSTYCEDAR
08-10-2008, 01:25 PM
VIC LOOK AT A WRAP you can get photo pics on your van
i can get a 20 ft box trailer done for 3k so the van should be cheaper.
i dont like either font
kids will be trying to rave in your van with the first one

Victor
08-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I like the original over Tubular. Just my $0.02 ...

Do you like the original font more because of the "pop" factor, or just because of something else?

Victor
08-10-2008, 01:29 PM
VIC LOOK AT A WRAP you can get photo pics on your van
i can get a 20 ft box trailer done for 3k so the van should be cheaper.
i dont like either font
kids will be trying to rave in your van with the first one

Hi there Dusty. I did look into wraps, but the funds aren't there to do something like that.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-10-2008, 01:42 PM
then save up for it they look so sweet

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Do you like the original font more because of the "pop" factor, or just because of something else?

Yeah. Tubular, to me, seems a bit cheesy/bland. Keep an edge with the font - something unique... just a bit more readable...

Here's a .PDF of a few chunky type fonts...

Victor
08-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Yeah. Tubular, to me, seems a bit cheesy/bland. Keep an edge with the font - something unique... just a bit more readable...

Here's a .PDF of a few chunky type fonts...

Every write-up I ever read with regards to advertising techniques always stressed the importance of doing something different to get the attention of your potential customers. That's what I love about that Gothic font so much. I looked at those fonts you sent to me, but didn't like any of them unfortunately. When I stop back into my designer's office, one of the things I'm going to have him do, is work with the Gothic font that was already on the van. I'm not only going to have him put more definition in between the letters, but I'm also going to have him make the letters in the word "Fertilization" as big as the letters in the word "Lawn."

By the letters in the word "Fertilization" being smaller, they're harder to read. After he stretches them down like that, I want to see how much that will help their legibility. One thing he kept mentioning to me was that the words will exponentially easier to read when they're on the van full-size.

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Every write-up I ever read with regards to advertising techniques always stressed the importance of doing something different to get the attention of your potential customers. That's what I love about that Gothic font so much...

I'm right with ya. Tweak the one he drew out and it'll likely be pretty danged shweet!

Victor
08-10-2008, 11:59 PM
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the picture. I love it. I wouldn't change anything. The company name, list of services and phone number are all in easy to read fonts and big. Anyone seeing the van can read it well enough. Plus safety orange and forest green --- bright and eye catching. I don't know how big of an area you are in or how much competition you have, but once you've had that van around for a little while, people won't need to "read" whats on the side, they'll see the design and know its you. The only thing that concerns me a bit is that the largest thing on the van, and the most eye catching is not your company name. People unfamiliar with you might see the van and go home and look up Lawn Fertilization as the company name in the phone book.

I can see what you're saying about my company logo not being what stands out the most friend, but every bit of literature I've read on how to design signs and ads says to make the service you're selling the focal point of your sign, or ad. They say that your main goal should be to do something that is out of the ordinary (which it is), so that it grabs people's attention.

While some people like the font and others hate it, one thing that can't be denied is that it will definitely grab attention like no other. They claim you've only got 3 seconds to get your message across, so that's why I had my designer size the fonts the way he did.

I service a very tight area. I try not to take on customers that live any further than 4 miles from my home, so the same people do see my vehicles time after time. I think you're right that it won't be long before people don't have to read my van's graphics anyway. They'll know instantly what company owns it and what the graphics say. :waving: