PDA

View Full Version : ZTR replacement engine

LiveOak77
08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Can you swap an engine from a cheap garden tractor to a used ZTR? Will a smaller engine still work for the hydraulic demand? Not looking for speed, however there are many 20+ HP motors out there.

I'm thinking of junking the 3 mowers, and save the engines. I have 3 MTD type mowers 38", 42", 46". The latest 46" Yardman used 3 drive belts a season. All require repair, but the most aggravating thing is constant belt replacement. The blade curved tips also break off twice a year. On this forum, I hear that ZTR's are durable, little maintenence on deck.

The garden tractors are a vertical mount. There are plenty of good low hour engines out there. Do they have a standard bolt pattern for interchanging engines on ZTR's like Exmark?

CoopersLandscaping
08-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Well, when we put so much on a mower , as a landscaper , and the engine gets shot........ it's probably time to buy a new one . I think the prices will range pretty close

LiveOak77
08-06-2008, 06:08 PM
There are individuals who don't put many hours on a mower, and sell before their time. So if anyone sees that this will work, please answer.

bohiaa
08-06-2008, 06:49 PM
not really sure why you would want to do this.... I have read your post 3 times and still unsure, However when it comes to fab work. you can do just about anything. now understanding that you on your own.

you can put an engine on a wagon, if ya wish. you will find that the man hours far out weigh the results. most of the time when I have engine failure or frame issues. when it's dead it's time to junk it. it's cheeper to start over.

Good Luck