PDA

View Full Version : eXmark Lazer z HP - Need mulch kit help

TC Lawns
08-06-2008, 07:17 PM
I just bought a used Exmark Lazer Z HP 48". Cut with it yesterday and it cut well, but Im not a big fan of the side chute throwing grass 15 feet and the extra width . I would rather be mulching, where can I find a mulch kit (what all do I need), and what blades work best for you guys? Gators or just regular hi-lift? Thanks

QualityLawnCare4u
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I have the same mower TC and was wondering the same thing, having a hard time keeping clippings out of flower beds and off of the side of houses in tight spots. Also how difficult is the kit to install/remove. On my deere it ain't for the faint of heart.

sandman23
08-06-2008, 09:24 PM
What type of grass are you cutting? I cut mostly Bermuda and some Fescue. I am on mostly small manicured lawns so Mulch Kits are the way to go. I have Mulch Kits on my Turf Tracer and my Lazer Hp. I do take them off for leaf season and scalping Bermuda in the spring. They do not do very well with heavy overgrwoth. They are kind of a pain to put on and take off. Wish there were an easy way to convert to bagging. I forget how much they were, a couple hundred. May be able to find used. I use Exmark Mulching Blades (Wavy). I did not like the Gators. Good luck.

MAD87
08-06-2008, 09:39 PM
What type of grass are you cutting? I cut mostly Bermuda and some Fescue. I am on mostly small manicured lawns so Mulch Kits are the way to go. I have Mulch Kits on my Turf Tracer and my Lazer Hp. I do take them off for leaf season and scalping Bermuda in the spring. They do not do very well with heavy overgrwoth. They are kind of a pain to put on and take off. Wish there were an easy way to convert to bagging. I forget how much they were, a couple hundred. May be able to find used. I use Exmark Mulching Blades (Wavy). I did not like the Gators. Good luck.

Ditto. The mulch kit does an excellent job, but if the grass is very thick... you have to go much slower to give it time to chop it up of course. I too cut Fescue and Bermuda. Mine was already installed on my mower, so I am unsure of the price. I've never bothered with taking it off. I wouldn't know what to do without the mulching kit!:laugh:

Scagguy
08-06-2008, 09:42 PM
I have a Lazer Hp with the mulch kit and factory mulch blades. It stays on year round. The cost for the kit was about $170.

TC Lawns
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Scagguy- Where did you get the kit at? what all come with it? Besides the chute block, what all has to be changed under the deck?

I cut mostly Bermuda and centipede. I also have a toro proline that mulches and it does a fine job. I dont like the fact that the open chute on my HP now blows grass into the beds and across the street. I think I would benefit from getting the mulch kit. I dont think I would need to take it off since the grass I cut never gets too tall.

could I just put a plate over the chute or does the hardware under the deck need to be changed as well?

TC Lawns
08-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Also, which blades do you guys recommend for the mulching kit?

Tadams
08-06-2008, 11:12 PM
An Exmark dealer can sell you the kit. They will also put it on for you. It comes with 2 baffles that separate the deck into 3 individual chambers, a block-off plate for the discharge opening and the wavy mulching blades. It's not difficult to take on and off but it is not something that you will want to do several times a day.
You can cut tall grass with a mulch kit, the only problem is that you will have to cut it twice. Unless you have a wide open area with no cars or houses around, a mulch kit is the way to go- for us anyway.

Genlandscape
08-06-2008, 11:12 PM
All of my Lazer HP's 50's and 56's have mulch kits and run either gator magnums or oem eXmark mulchers. The kits run around $200 and should come with blades. I have tried using eXmark high lifts w/ the mulch kits and there is a lot of "blowout" makes a hell of a mess. Also losing the discharge chute makes many areas more accessable.

TC Lawns
08-07-2008, 12:42 AM
ok thanks guys. I will go check with my dealer tomorrow.