PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Trimmers

Suds
08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Are JD trimmers built by Shindaiwa? I was in a JD dealer today and their JD branded trimmers sure look a lot like Shindaiwa trimmers...If so I will buy on there. They are a very good dealer, in my neighborhood and I have been well taken care of there with my JD tractors. Thanks

newz7151
08-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Are JD trimmers built by Shindaiwa? I was in a JD dealer today and their JD branded trimmers sure look a lot like Shindaiwa trimmers...If so I will buy on there. They are a very good dealer, in my neighborhood and I have been well taken care of there with my JD tractors. Thanks

Doubtful since JD just inked that agreement with Stihl.

TheLawnBarber
08-06-2008, 08:23 PM
There bulit by Kawasaki.

Suds
08-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Doubtful since JD just inked that agreement with Stihl.

What was that agreement about?

K/B
08-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Many in their trimmer line-up were built by Mitsubishi. No Shindaiwa.

Suds
08-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I was just checking out the Kawasaki trimmer specs and their trimmers (the models that have a drive shaft versus a flexible cable drive) have a hollow drive shaft while the JD trimmers have a solid drive shaft. Maybe Mitsubishi builds the trimmers instead of Kawasaki or Kawasaki uses a solid shaft for their JD branded trimmers. I didn't even know that Mitsu built string trimmers...:confused:

K/B
08-07-2008, 05:40 AM
I was just checking out the Kawasaki trimmer specs and their trimmers (the models that have a drive shaft versus a flexible cable drive) have a hollow drive shaft while the JD trimmers have a solid drive shaft. Maybe Mitsubishi builds the trimmers instead of Kawasaki or Kawasaki uses a solid shaft for their JD branded trimmers. I didn't even know that Mitsu built string trimmers...:confused:

I know for sure that the XT120 is mitsu. I've seen a few older ones that were mitsubishi also, can't remember what model.

TomberLawn
08-07-2008, 02:22 PM
My local Deere dealer said they are made by Mitsubishi and Kawasaki. My JD hedge trimmers are Mitsubishi. A good way to find out is to look at the emissions warranty information in your manual. Mine said "Mitsubishi Heavy Industries" at the top of the page.

After reading the press releases about the Stihl deal, it doesn't really look like the Stihl equipment is going to be branded as John Deere, but that Deere dealers will now carry Stihl, which a lot already do. Maybe I'm wrong. A nearby equipment dealer told me he wouldn't be surprised if Deere bought Stihl within the next couple of years. I wonder if Stihl equipment purchases will count towards Green Fleet points. Otherwise, the deal doesn't really mean that much.