PDA

View Full Version : toro help

BrandonV
08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
how do I manually turn on this valve and have it stay on? we're using it for a couple of waterfall auto fills... doesn't have the fancy handle like my hunters.

Mike Leary
08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Um, the big boys use a valve on the clock to re-charge ponds.

Wet_Boots
08-06-2008, 10:42 PM
The top of the flow control has a manual bleed - used to be a brass screw, and now is plastic

michigander
08-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Center of flow control handle will have a manual bleed screw. Water will leak out when it is manually bled. Dont turn the bleed screw so far , it will pop out. :rolleyes:

Mike Leary
08-06-2008, 10:45 PM
The top of the flow control has a manual bleed - used to be a brass screw, and now is plastic

Send the crew out to re-charge the pond via the manual bleed? Huh?

michigander
08-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm not fast enough,,, But, I'm trying!:)

Waterit
08-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Brandon! Please use a real valve!

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-06-2008, 11:14 PM
That is a great valve. One of the best TORO made. We repair that bad boy. I've got some out there going on 20 years. Bleed is at the top as boots says.

You can take the pin out of the solenoid for permanent no leak on.

irrig8r
08-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Yeah, and in 20 years they redesigned the diaphragm how many times?

Those brass bleed screws were a joke too.... or maybe it was just the nylon washer that was the problem.....I've had about a 50/50 track record on being able to make one of those bleed screws stop leaking once turned on.

Frankly, I think Toro did a better job with the Flo Pro... the ones at my house have been going for something like 14 years. And only one redesign of the diaphragm... :laugh: and one of the solenoid.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-07-2008, 06:37 AM

Those brass bleed screws were a joke too.... or maybe it was just the nylon washer that was the problem.....I've had about a 50/50 track record on being able to make one of those bleed screws stop leaking once turned on.

Frankly, I think Toro did a better job with the Flo Pro... the ones at my house have been going for something like 14 years. And only one redesign of the diaphragm... :laugh: and one of the solenoid.

Yes it had issues. Heck we've all got issues. What's a few issues in the life of a valve? I enjoyed tinkering with it. What can I say.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-07-2008, 07:01 AM
bleeder on the top....but that is a crazy valve put in a dv.

BrandonV
08-07-2008, 07:38 AM
the valve was already there, we ripped up the zone it was attached to when installing the waterfalls, i figured what the heck we'll use this valve to run the fills... guess that was a mistake. of well.

Wet_Boots
08-07-2008, 07:50 AM
The Toro 250/230 series is fine. Repairable forever.

Midlo Snow Maker
08-13-2008, 09:48 PM
That is a great valve. One of the best TORO made. We repair that bad boy. I've got some out there going on 20 years. Bleed is at the top as boots says.

one of the best valves out there and like you said, i have hundreds over 20 years old still kicking

bicmudpuppy
08-13-2008, 11:36 PM

OMG...............there really is a different folk for every stroke..........or different joke.........Not sure when the word Flo-Pro is used in a sentence.

londonrain
08-13-2008, 11:44 PM
The Toro 250/230 series is fine. Repairable forever.Until the body cracks..I have replaced many because of hairline cracks....

anthonyslandscaping
08-14-2008, 11:16 PM
don't use a valve for the auto fill. Instead, tap into the main line and use a float valve in the bottom pump basin. (works just like the float in your toilet)

If you really want to use a valve use a ball valve.

Mike Leary
08-14-2008, 11:28 PM
don't use a valve for the auto fill. Instead, tap into the main line and use a float valve in the bottom pump basin. (works just like the float in your toilet)

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Wet_Boots
08-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Until the body cracks..I have replaced many because of hairline cracks....Not me, but I don't see that ABS-body valve as much as the nylon-body MPT x barb version.

I wonder if there are some shifting-clay issues in locations with cracked valve bodies (assuming they aren't suffering freeze damage) ~ Poly systems might also work out differently, as well

AI Inc
08-15-2008, 06:32 AM

I used electric valves to top off plenty of ponds , and swimming pools.

DanaMac
08-15-2008, 07:02 AM

I've seen too many problems with auto fills. I like seeing a separate zone valve for filling ponds/streams. I started up a new system this spring, and they never told me there was an auto fill for the VERY large water feature. They went on vacation a couple days after the start up. Upon returning from vaca they called and said the water feature was just overflowing and water was everywhere. Auto fill was stuck.

koster_irrigation
08-15-2008, 06:05 PM

this is the way to fill ponds. not electric valves. i have seen them get stuck though,

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 06:16 PM
this is the way to fill ponds. not electric valves. i have seen them get stuck though,

I continue to use both, depends on the application. I use the floats on cisterns
and electrics on the waterfalls and small ponds. With the electrics, you program a window for re-fill and with a master valve, there
is no chance of a "water feature". We test all our electric re-fills three times a season.

BrandonV
08-15-2008, 07:49 PM
this has a float as well, I was just using the exsiting valve and not a hunter because the main lines were already under pressure and I didn't see the point of going through the whole shutting off the well/draining the main line. I like having it on a timer just so you can catch leaks. With just an auto fill it could run for days trying to fill up and you might not notice. With a valve it'll only fill so much a day and the pumps I use automatically shut off if the water level gets low so that is your sign that Houston we have a problem