PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to do Christmas Lights this year

LawnMastersTx
08-06-2008, 10:45 PM
It wont be long until the time to put up the Christmas lights and I wanted to be ready this season for it.

The only problem is that I have never done it before, but a few of my new crew members have.

What I am curious about is where do you guys get your lights from? One of the crewmen mentioned something about a magazine where they would take it to customers and the customers would point out the lights they wanted. The customers would "rent" the setup for the Christmas time and then return the lights.

Is this normal or do you buy a setup for each house and the home owners keep them? If there is such magazines, which ones do you guys suggest?

hotrod1965
08-08-2008, 09:22 PM
I would guess that you mean that your customers would rent the lights from you. This would be common. You buy the display, rent it to your customers year after year. This is how we do things, it works well for everyone.

You can also sell the lights to your customers and then charge an install fee year after year. This also works. Although I did pick up some other peoples customers this way because they arn't obligated to stay with you.

As far as a cataglog... all the franchises have a catalog, all the light manufactures..etc

We sell lights wholesale, but we don't have a catalog..sorry.

NightScenes
08-09-2008, 05:53 PM
We sell the product to the client then we install it, take it down and store it for them. this way we can make the mark up on the materials and then we can charge labor and storage year after year.

David Gretzmier
08-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Same here. I don't rent except under rare circumstances. I may have a customer pass away or leave town and I have the lights and I can;t get them back to their owner. I may rent those as they are used and I can't sell as new. I sell them all the product,cords, clips, timers the first year and then charge a rehang,takedown,storage fee in year 2, 3, etc.