PDA

View Full Version : Summer annuals in lawns

Green Up
08-06-2008, 09:49 PM
I have several yards that need some serious attention. Weeds like you would not believe. The temp, here is around 90-100 degrees with the heat index of 100 plus. Does anyone know what might be safe to spray in these extreme conditions? What about 3 way at .75 oz per 1000 sf, plus iron? I will do pre and post treatments this coming year, but the weeds look realy bad now.

RigglePLC
08-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I hate spurge--nothing seems to stop it. We don't worry much about temperature. But we are on bluegrass and rye.

Yesterday I sprayed a median that had heavy spurge. 1)Regular strength with surfactant and light fertilizer, 2)Went over it twice, 3) hand sprayer mixed a little strong, with surfactant, sprayed to wet.

Hand sprayer seemed to have the most effect.

rcreech
08-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I hate spurge--nothing seems to stop it. We don't worry much about temperature. But we are on bluegrass and rye.

Yesterday I sprayed a median that had heavy spurge. 1)Regular strength with surfactant and light fertilizer, 2)Went over it twice, 3) hand sprayer mixed a little strong, with surfactant, sprayed to wet.

I have been SMOKING Purslane, Spurge, and many other SA's by the addition of Quick Silver.

I mean serious SMOKE!

Try it and you will like it. Three Way alone will not touch them...but it your "turn the heat up" you will see it!

Let me know what you think!

RC

greendoctor
08-07-2008, 03:49 AM

With a hand sprayer, you are putting down the volume and droplet size needed to effectively cover weeds. Here in Hawaii, there are two weeds that are predominant in fine turf. Prostrate spurge and oxalis. If your spray coverage is poor, you will look the fool and the client will be thinking: "I could have done this myself cheaper with Weed-B-Gon." I use either Speedzone, Blade + Quicksilver or Banvel + Quicksilver. All of this goes through either a walking boom or a single nozzle gun fitted with fan tips. 1-2 gallon/M at 25-40 PSI. Turflon is very good for spurge as well, but is not to be used on warm season grasses. Do not use Blade or Manor on rye.