PDA

View Full Version : valve question

clc19chase
08-06-2008, 11:53 PM
1" rainbird valve. is it possible to get the solenoid too tight. If you get it too tight will it choke back the flow to where rotors want perform well

hoskm01
08-06-2008, 11:55 PM
No. Closed is closed. You could crack plastic if it is too tight. Is there a flow control on said valve?

clc19chase
08-07-2008, 12:06 AM
I guess you should know this is another pump system as well. zone 5 was barely pissing. I ended up backing the solenoid out some and the zone performed well next time it ran.

Waterit
08-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Sounds like a PGA or PEB. Loosening solenoid will lead to valve running whenever pump is on.

Mike Leary
08-07-2008, 01:09 AM
I guess you should know this is another pump system as well. zone 5 was barely pissing. I ended up backing the solenoid out some and the zone performed well next time it ran.

That is hard to believe. Backing out the solenoid gives manual bleed if screwed out too far.

bicmudpuppy
08-07-2008, 01:11 AM
It is possible to over tighten a solenoid to the point that it can't open. Snug, not tight on the o-ring is a better way.

JimLewis
08-07-2008, 05:49 AM
clc19chase,

I am not familiar with your previous posts here on lawnsite. I don't recognize your handle so forgive me if I assume you don't already know what I am about to say. I just don't know the level of your expertise so I am making some assumptions here.....

First, I would want to make sure it's actually the solenoid you tightened and not the flow control part of the valve. Some Rain Bird valves have a flow control right on top of them - others do not. Take look at this diagram of Rain Bird's DVF valve which does have a flow control built in;

http://www.watertips.com/images/RBproVal.gif

The part that says "removable handle" is the solenoid. And again, forgive me if you already know that. Just trying to start from the top.

As you can see, the second feature down is the flow-control part of the valve. Now if that's what you tightened down - then YES that would definitely make your heads not function. If that's what you turned down, turn it back all the way open and your problem should be fixed.

I only say this because I've seen too many homeowners just assume that was the bleeder valve or solenoid and just turn it all the way off. I've seen that many times. So I'd want to rule out that first.

Assuming you're not talking about turning off this flow-control, then I don't think you'd reduce flow by turning the solenoid to far. Although by turning a solenoid too far, you can definitely strip the threads and make it so that the valve cannot be turned off anymore. I can testify to that one. Usually, it's the solenoid that strips, though - not the actual valve. So it's a pretty simple fix if that happens - just install a new solenoid and don't go so far this time.

IMO, when working with Rain Bird valves (or any valve that has one) it's best not to turn the solenoid, but open the valve using the bleeder valve instead. Much less can go wrong that way. Unfortunately, not every valve has a bleeder valve. But most do.

clc19chase
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
thank you Jim. This valve doesnt have flow control. I do know to tighten solenoid until I feel o ring resistance. Its just that I noticed this solenoid was very tight. I ran zone 5 (zone with tight sol.) all it would do is piss. (very low pressure). turned off zone 5 and fired zone 6. zone 6 good pressure. while zone 6 is running I opened solenoid on zone 5 just to see the pressure, assuming the heads wouldnt even pop up. they popped up and had better psi than running zone 5 alone. this is when I assumed the solenoid was too tight

DanaMac
08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I've never seen it happen, but I suppose it is possible.

irritation
08-07-2008, 09:52 AM
We still don't know what type valve you are dealing with.
I see it alot with the HR-1/EV100 valves.

clc19chase
08-07-2008, 10:03 AM
We still don't know what type valve you are dealing with.
I see it alot with the HR-1/EV100 valves.

the valve is a (RB 100 dv ss)

JimLewis
08-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Could be something got caught up in the valve somewhere. Those valves are cheap. Wholesale cost is around $10 - $15. I'd just buy a new valve and take out the guts of the old valve and replace all the parts. That may fix the problem. Otherwise, maybe something stuck in the pipe???