PDA

View Full Version : $#!@%$% Blades!

Bunton Guy
08-07-2008, 10:02 AM
So I have a bunton hydro 48" that is a backup that stays at the house under a carport. Problem is now I need to use it and I took the blades off to get new hi-lift blades put on and I can't get the center bolt with the two spacers off of the shaft in order to get the blade off. Im half tempted to buy new shaft/bolts and spacers and end this battle. I have spent the past 3 hours with these blades in the vise beating them & heating them then beating them some more trying to get them off the shaft they are seized on there something aweful.

What do you guys suggest trying? I have went through half a bottle of
PB blaster.

ALC-GregH
08-07-2008, 10:17 AM
cut them off and replace them. Chances are, you'll have this same problem after you swap blades again.

CrewKut
08-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Put some anti-seize on the threads when you reassemble. It should help the next time.

Dan

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-08-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm not sure I understand so if im off point,disregard.I've had my blades lock and Itake off the belt and you use a rachet strap to lock it in place one at a time.Then get a long ass breaker bar.It could take awhile to figure out how to get the strap on so it locks but It's always worked.Then spray with anti seize and you should be good.Damn rust

ixlr8
08-08-2008, 10:29 AM
My neighbor had that issue, even with a 3ft breaker bar... those bolts were not moving, he had spent 4 hrs fighting with them. Had him drive the mower over to my house, pulled out the air impact wrench.... 40 sec after I jacked up the front of the mower... I handed him 3 blades with bolts and suggested he get new bolts as he had rounded the heads pretty good.

Green Up
08-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Anti seize is worth its weight in gold. Are you using a locking nut. If not cut the bolts off, use anti seize and buys some locking nut that have a Teflon inside. It sounds like you have not had them off in a while. See what the factory specs. are from owners manual. Anti seize may be the answer to such a common problem.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-08-2008, 07:01 PM
If a 3 ft. breaker bar could'nt get them of but an impact did then either your friend is week as hell or you have a massive impact.I dont use a bar untill the impact wont get it not the other way around.I really dont know how your set ups are but if you cut mine off your buying a spendal.Mine are held on with a bolt not a nut.

delphied
08-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Try Kroil. Its the best penetrating oil and if you cant find that then use 3in1 or something. Ive never had a heavy bolt I couldnt loosen by hitting the wrench with a rubber hammer.