PDA

View Full Version : Edger recommendation?

LarryF
08-07-2008, 10:51 AM
LawnSite doesn't appear to have an equipment forum, so I'm posting here on the Commercial Lawn Care one even though I'm a homeowner. That's because I'm skeptical other homeowners would have sufficient experience to give me good answers. I also did a search on this topic, but didn't see much.

There seems to be several different ways of edging a lawn, so I'd like some advice that explains the different methods and to help me select the best and hopefully easiest one as well as the edging tool I should buy. I have been doing edging with my string trimmer, but I don't have the talent to keep a neat straight line the way you professionals do. So the thought is that maybe I should buy something specifically designed for edging. I'm not aware of a tutorial on this subject, but if anyone else is, I'd like to hear about it. But more than that, I'd like specific advice from someone who has done a lot of edging using the various techniques. When it comes to tools in general, and to lawn-maintenance tools in particular, I prefer and always buy commercial quality. I already have tools made by RedMax, Stihl and Shindaiwa, so I'm partial to those manufacturers, but I'd like to hear advice an whatever you think is best

ALC-GregH
08-07-2008, 11:25 AM
You could spend $70 and get a Edgit for your trimmer. They work great and leave a perfectly straight line. Do a search for Edgit on here and you'll find a bunch of info. Then go to their site and order it. :)
www.edgit.com

freshprince94
08-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Being in the South, I only use edgers, trimmers can't edge St. Augustine. An edger is actually faster and easier to use once you get the hang of it. An edger also will establish a new edge, while a trimmer won't. An edger can't scalp or otherwise damage the grass unless you lose control of it.

As far as brands go, I like Stihl best, especially for edgers. They have the most powerful and easy to use IMO. I use a KM 90 R powerhead with a straight shaft edger, it cuts through overgrowth very well. Being a homeowner, you would be fine with Stihl's entry level curved shaft edgers, the FC 90 and FC 75. They cost the same ($329) and the difference is, the 90 has a 28.4cc 4 mix engine compared to the 75's 25.4 cc 2 cycle engine. I like the 4 mix engine myself, but some guys prefer a 2 cycle and go with the 75.

redfox033
08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I have been thinking about getting an edger myself, do those edgits really work? Are they better than a stick edger?

Genlandscape
08-07-2008, 01:32 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=241443 this is another thread on the same subject. If you ask about manufacturer you will get personal preferences (I'm an Echo guy), if you are a homeowner and will only be using the machine one a week or so; I would consider an entry level stick edger. You may also want to check auction sites for used equip. I run Echo PE 260's but these machines run close to $400.00 and if I only had to do 1 lawn a week I would definitly go with something cheaper. You may also want to look into man. websites for specs. on different machines. Good luck with your investigation !! P.S. Line trimmers edge St. Augustine just fine and leave a cleaner cut than a blade.

H&H Lawn Service
08-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Larry,
I run about 12 accounts a week and just bought an entry level Echo Stick Edger - PE200, which is rated for light commerical or homeowner useage. You can pick one of these up for about $200. I've been really impressed with the results compared to just using my string trimmer.

freshprince94
08-07-2008, 05:27 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=241443 this is another thread on the same subject. If you ask about manufacturer you will get personal preferences (I'm an Echo guy), if you are a homeowner and will only be using the machine one a week or so; I would consider an entry level stick edger. You may also want to check auction sites for used equip. I run Echo PE 260's but these machines run close to $400.00 and if I only had to do 1 lawn a week I would definitly go with something cheaper. You may also want to look into man. websites for specs. on different machines. Good luck with your investigation !! P.S. Line trimmers edge St. Augustine just fine and leave a cleaner cut than a blade.

You must be cutting a different St. Augustine, because our FLorida St. Augustine looks terrible if edged by a trimmer. It just dosen't look as clean as with a blade.

freshprince94
08-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Larry,
I run about 12 accounts a week and just bought an entry level Echo Stick Edger - PE200, which is rated for light commerical or homeowner useage. You can pick one of these up for about $200. I've been really impressed with the results compared to just using my string trimmer.

Even that little Echo leaves a better edge than the ole' weedeater. I used to have that same edger but it didn't have enough power for me.

ALC-GregH
08-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I have the Echo pas265 with a edger attachment that will cut through just about anything. Once I'm done with that on a first time customer with over grown edges, all I need from then on out is my 210 with the Edgit and I'm golden.

IMHO a edger is only needed to cut over grown sod off clean. It doesn't need to be used every week if you have a good trimmer with a Edgit. I just wish I had come up with the idea! I'd be rich. :D The damn thing is simply dialed.
One pass just walking.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/Dscn2747.jpg?t=1218149024
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/Dscn2753.jpg?t=1218148393

LarryF
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
You could spend $70 and get a Edgit for your trimmer. They work great and leave a perfectly straight line. Do a search for Edgit on here and you'll find a bunch of info. Then go to their site and order it. :)
www.edgit.com

Thanks Al & Greg.

The edgit looks very interesting, and I guess that would be an inexpensive way to solve my problem. But there seems to be two totally different designs and one of them leaves me baffled. I can understand the design of the one for the curved-shaft trimmer. Essentially, its a little wheel that clamps onto the trimmer, and that wheel rolls along the sidewalk or curb keeping the string a constant distance from the turf. The one for the straight trimmer is the one I don't understand. It looks something like a circular saw blade which, I presume, replaces the string head. The video provided to explain the straight-shaft edgit is really terrible. There is no sound, and it appears that the guy doing the trimming has to hold that saw-blade thing in the correct position between the concrete and the turf. How he can do that is beyond my comprehension, and it looks like a lethal weapon. I called the Edgit phone number a couple of times today to get an explanation, but all I got was a recording saying no one was home. Well, I don't understand the operation of the straight-shaft one, and I also wonder why the one shown for the curved-shaft trimmer can't also be used for a straight-shaft trimmer. I suspect the real design of the straight-shaft one is completely different from what that very bad video shows it to be. I'll try to get in touch with them tomorrow, but if someone has seen one of those straight-shaft edgits and understands it, perhaps he'll be good enough to provide an explanation. The Edgit company doesn't seem to be very good a doing that.

LarryF
08-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Al & Greg,

Those photos are impressive, but I still can't contact that Edgit company. Called again today, and as with my previous attempts, all I found out is that nobody's home. If somebody can provide an explanation of how the edgit for a straight-shaft trimmer works, I'd still like to hear it.

Larry

ALC-GregH
08-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Larry, the big disk freewheels on the center. The center mounts in place of the guard that comes with the trimmer. The video they have is kinda small so it's hard to see what it is actually doing.
The string is about a 1/16 of a inch away from the disk as it spins so when you put the disk in the groove and butt it up to the curb, all you have to do is throttle and walk, the disk rolls and the string cuts. In the pic I posted, it took me the time it takes to walk the length of the sidewalk and it was done.

ALC-GregH
08-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Larry, if you have a straight shaft trimmer, just order it off the site. I had mine within a week. Trust me, if you have a hard time keeping a straight line with a open string trimmer, the Edgit will make them look perfect.

I also noticed after a few weeks of use, it will trim a larger area better due to the vacuum affect it has with the disk, it doesn't leave a bunch of un-cut blades behind like the trimmer alone does. The vacuum from the disk will help pick up the blades that need to be cut so the end result is a cleaner finish cut.
It cost $70, much cheaper then alot of us have spent on worthless stuff in the past.

and no, I'm not affiliated with or work for the Edgit company, I just think they have a winner on their hands. :D

LarryF
08-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks Al and Greg for the responses. They help a lot. So I take it that thing I see that looks like a circular saw blade or a disk isn't really spinning with the trimmer head, it's just a plastic something that rolls in the groove between the turf and the walkway? And the trimmer head, I take it, is spinning inside of that disk. I don't currently have a straight-shaft trimmer, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it was really needed. Not sure though if that's the case! Even though most of my lawn-maintenance equipment is commercial grade, the one exception is my trimmer, which is Stihl curved shaft, something I guess you would call a homeowner's model. But compared to the Homelight I used to have and gave away because I thought is was junk, this Stihl trimmer performs magnificently. I don't anticipate it wearing out anytime soon, but when it does, I think I will probably replace it with a straight-shaft one.

As I was typing this, Steve Burns who invented the Edgit called, answering my phone calls, and he explained everything to me again. The operation is just as you said. But he convinced me that the curved-shaft one, although not as versatile as the straight-shaft guy, would be satisfactory for me, so I ordered it.

Thanks for the tip

LarryF
08-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks Al and Greg for the responses. They help a lot. So I take it that thing I see that looks like a circular saw blade or a disk isn't really spinning with the trimmer head, it's just a plastic something that rolls in the groove between the turf and the walkway? And the trimmer head, I take it, is spinning inside of that disk. I don't currently have a straight-shaft trimmer, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it was really needed. Not sure though if that's the case! Even though most of my lawn-maintenance equipment is commercial grade, the one exception is my trimmer, which is Stihl curved shaft, something I guess you would call a homeowner's model. But compared to the Homelight I used to have and gave away because I thought is was junk, this Stihl trimmer performs magnificently. I don't anticipate it wearing out anytime soon, but when it does, I think I will probably replace it with a straight-shaft one.

As I was typing this, Steve Burns who invented the Edgit called, answering my phone calls, and he explained everything to me again. The operation is just as you said. But he convinced me that the curved-shaft one, although not as versatile as the straight-shaft guy, would be satisfactory for me, so I ordered it.

Thanks for the tip

I thought I'd do a follow-up. That Ediit company seems to be a little flaky. Five days after I had ordered one, I still hadn't gotten any confirmation on the order or any tracking info on the delivery. So I called, and apparently they had forgotten about it. So they then sent it to me parcel post, and it came in today. I put it on my trimmer and fired up. It flew apart after 3 seconds. That's right! 1-2-3-bang. There's a cylinder that rolls over the walk or curb and a disk to run alongside the side of the walk/curb to keep the edging straight, and it seems that there should be screws holding these two together, but they weren't installed and they weren't provided so I could install them. No big deal, I suppose since I could put my own screws in, but I don't know what size they should be. This Edgit material is just plastic, so if the screws are too small, they may pull out and if they are too big, they might destroy the plastic. I called to have the screws sent to me, but today is Saturday and no one was home. I left a message with the telephone clerk, but then I decided to use the email system on the Edgit web site. When I tried, I got a message that the system is not operating but there were no instructions otherwise.

I can't say I could give this Edgit company a 5-star rating. It seems to me that it's a loser, and I am too for trying them. Oh well, live and learn! If they have a good explanation for this ridiculous situation, I'll let those on this forum know, but it's my guess there won't be one. And whether or not the Edgit does what it's supposed to, I don't know, of course, because I still haven't been able to use it.

naturescape
08-18-2008, 01:44 PM
I have had only good results with Edgit, the owner, and the ordering/delivery. But I have used the Edgits that bolt to a straight shaft trimmer -- those work great.

SLC, LLC
08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Get a walk-behind edger. They are the best in terms of quality and ease of use. We edge every property every week with it, and the thing keeps running and running. We have Little Wonder edgers, but they are a little pricey for a homeowner use. Sears sells a good one that would work fine for once a week use.

jbannick18
08-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Go with a stick edger, they're easy to use and I would think they are faster than a walk behind edger and especially not as bulky.

LarryF
08-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the advice. The rest of the parts for the curved-shaft Edgit I ordered a couple of weeks ago came in today, so I assembled what should have been assembled by the manufacturer and tried it. I edged about 400 feet, some of which hadn't been edged in a few years. That being the case, I certainly couldn't edge as fast as I can walk, but it went pretty fast and seemed to do a pretty good job..............much cleaner and straighter than I can do with just the string trimmer. This one cost only a little more than 30 bucks including shipping, so it wasn't a major investment. I haven't used it enough to be certain this is the best solution for me, but it worked ok so far. Since I'm a retiree, I have time on my hands and often do my daughter's lawn as well as my own and I'll use the Edgit there next week. I guess that with more experience with it, I'll be able to decide if it's what I really want for edging.

One thing about it that concerns me is that it's made of plastic and doesn't appear to be very rugged. The trimmer I have it mounted to is a Stihl which has their bump-on-the-ground feature to advance the string. I feel confident that all components of the trimmer can repeatedly take that impact, but I'm not sure the Edgit can. Well, if not, then I'll have to consider some of the other recommendations provided above.

naturescape
08-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the advice. The rest of the parts for the curved-shaft Edgit I ordered a couple of weeks ago came in today, so I assembled what should have been assembled by the manufacturer and tried it. I edged about 400 feet, some of which hadn't been edged in a few years. That being the case, I certainly couldn't edge as fast as I can walk, but it went pretty fast and seemed to do a pretty good job..............much cleaner and straighter than I can do with just the string trimmer. This one cost only a little more than 30 bucks including shipping, so it wasn't a major investment. I haven't used it enough to be certain this is the best solution for me, but it worked ok so far. Since I'm a retiree, I have time on my hands and often do my daughter's lawn as well as my own and I'll use the Edgit there next week. I guess that with more experience with it, I'll be able to decide if it's what I really want for edging.

One thing about it that concerns me is that it's made of plastic and doesn't appear to be very rugged. The trimmer I have it mounted to is a Stihl which has their bump-on-the-ground feature to advance the string. I feel confident that all components of the trimmer can repeatedly take that impact, but I'm not sure the Edgit can. Well, if not, then I'll have to consider some of the other recommendations provided above.

Buy a straight-shaft trimmer, and the Edgit designed for it. It will be worth it. If $$ is an issue, look for a straight-shaft trimmer online. I'd suggest an Echo, so the Edgit will bolt right up to the gearcase. Actually, I prefer a Tanaka with the Edgit gearcase, but that's going to be a lot of work for you.

freshprince94
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I think all these problems are telling you "Buy an edger"!!!

ed2hess
08-21-2008, 07:41 PM
I think all these problems are telling you "Buy an edger"!!!

No all these problems are telling him that he should simply learn how to use a trimmer to cut a sharp edge. And yes we do it every day on St Augustine and it is just as good as an edger .....I have compared several times.

freshprince94
08-21-2008, 07:54 PM
No all these problems are telling him that he should simply learn how to use a trimmer to cut a sharp edge. And yes we do it every day on St Augustine and it is just as good as an edger .....I have compared several times.

OK. I think that even if you must use a trimmer, why buy the edge it? Wouldn't it be easier to just hold the trimmer?

naturescape
08-21-2008, 09:28 PM
OK. I think that even if you must use a trimmer, why buy the edge it? Wouldn't it be easier to just hold the trimmer?

This topic has been done to death. Do a search. But one main thing: The Edgit will take most of the weight off the trimmer when edging.