PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Roller for push mower???????? possible?

d16daily
08-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Hello, I was just wondering if it was possible to purchase or DIY a lawn roller for simple striping using a standard Crafsman push mower from sears??:hammerhead::hammerhead:

blade is 21inches if that helps

something like this. .
http://www.beststuff.com/images/articles/050803c2.jpg

just looking to make simple stripes on my lawn, nothing fancy

jkason
08-07-2008, 05:38 PM
The El-Cheapo way is to get some heavy, small-diameter pipe and just drag it along behind the mower with some baling wire.

That being said, you can probably engineer something slick, but would probably have to give up the bagger option.

Swampy
08-07-2008, 05:47 PM
The rear flap on mine has a hole running the entire length. I just used threaded rod through it. Works great and doesn't look ghetto.

ALC-GregH
08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Does your push mower have a safety flap on the back? If so, take a 2in piece of angle iron and zip tie it to the flap. All you need to do is add weight to the flap to push the grass down more. You might even be able to take the flap off and replace it with a fixed roller assembly that can easily be made from simple parts bought at HD or Lowes.

ALC-GregH
08-07-2008, 05:52 PM
For the record, I haven't done it to my push mower, I'm afraid it will work to good and I'll want to use it more. :D

Puddle of Oil
08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
yes u can at bigleaguelawn.com, but if u ask me i think its kinda pointless to strip with a 21 push. but hey thats just me.

d16daily
08-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Yes it does have a flap. but the cylinder shaped part isn't completely hollow, it s basically two half circles. on mine, so I can't just slide a metal bar.

thanks for all the ideas, wasn't expecting that many from my noob question! :clapping:

heading to home-depot right now to construct a makeshift roller. Guess im just gonna get something heavy and add weight to the flap.

$hit, maybe just some bricks could do the job?;)