PDA

View Full Version : Walker mowers

chub
08-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey guys,I have been looking for a new mower,and have been doing some pricing. These are the features I want,48"-54" cut and I bag my grass due to alot of buildings ect. When I have been pricing the different models they all seem priced well until you add the bagger,The nice thing about the walker is that the bagger is a factory option and not alot more money. Dealer support is not an issue ;I have many dealers all close that handle every major brand. Any of you Walker owners care to reply that would be great,the only thing that concerns me with the Walker is the kohler motor. Any suggestions would be appreciated from the guys who bag there grass [mower types ect.]Thanks again, Chub

BarrFarms
08-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I bought a walker MSGHS last week, 13/42" It sounds underpowered but I have no problem with it in tall wet zoysia or bermuda. I am looking at purchasing a MTGHS 26 Kohler EFI / 52" GHS. The 52" is a special order option I am told. These machines will run $10000-$11000. I don't know of a walker besides the MS that dosent have a kohler, other than the MD kubota diesel.

Thanks,

shade tree landscaping
08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I just bought in the spring of this year a 42inch with the 20hp model C. More than enough power, never had an issue where I needed a bigger engine. No complaints at all

MortonLawn
08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
You can't go wrong with a Walker, plenty of power and a big plus is they are VERY easy to oil change/work on. I bought the 42' 20 hp kohler mtghs model a little over 3 years ago. absolutely love it!!:)

MisfitBobletts
08-07-2008, 05:20 PM
i have a 42" Walker with the 24.5hp Kubota with the GHS, plenty of power and easy to work on...but i always had trouble with clogging in wet conditions and i got sick of bagging so i got a new exmark with a 60" deck and a mulch kit. But they are definatly good machines.

chub
08-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Just had another thought,Would the blower vac pick up walnuts? I have two walnut trees,they may be a problem.

bigclawn
08-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Have had Walkers in our fleet since 1996--we now have 4 including a Super B, MB, Mtghs26 and the Kubota unit. Have sold several units over the years, all with over 2,500 hrs and still running fine, and, to the best of my knowledge--still running!
They all get run hard--still have my original machine, a 1996 with a 25 Kubota gas---never had any real issues---there's a place for these machines in almost any company and it's a worthwhile investment.

b121774
08-07-2008, 06:57 PM
An mtghs with the new 10.5" blower would probably suck up walnut's. Huge difference over the 10".

grassaholic
08-07-2008, 09:04 PM
An mtghs with the new 10.5" blower would probably suck up walnut's. Huge difference over the 10".

It will pick up some walnuts but don't count on it to clean them up from a lawn. If your worried about the walnuts hurting the mower.... NO WAY!!!! The Walker GHS can handle a Walnut.

mr.greenjeans
08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
My Walker is a 96. It's twelve years old and has 3400+ hrs. It eats walnuts for breakfast but does not clean them up completely. I replaced the hydros last winter and it now goes up hills as it did when it was new. It goes through about a quart of oil every two weeks. Nothing....NOTHING, leaves better lines than a walker. I have the flip up deck. Easy to scrape, and blade changeing is a breeze. It also fits on the trailer when others won't because the deck can be raised after the mower is backed onto the trailer.

chub
08-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys, I was not looking to clean them up thats the kids job. I just wanted to make sure it would not hurt the blower. I am sure all you guys with kids no there will be some missed walnuts.

doubleedge
08-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Before you buy one, make sure you are able to dump it efficiently. You may need the dump inserts if you can't dump it on site. Also, consider buying the Exmark Navigator. It is pretty much the same machine, but you may get better dealer support or a better price (no dump inserts, though). Some people will say one is better, some will say the other is, so I reccomend you try each out before you buy.

By the time you put a bagger on a similarly sized mid mount zero turn, it would actually be around the same price as a walker. You may want to try one of those out too, they are faster and you have the ability to side discharge without changing decks (new deck on a walker costs like $2k).