PDA

View Full Version : How often should you update your mower?

Madcape
08-07-2008, 05:40 PM
I have a 04 dc 60inflatlander with a 27Kohler it has 1400hrs. It has been a great mower for the last 4.5 years with no problems, but I dont want to start having problems either. So I recently been thinking of getting a new mower since I should still get a good amout for mine now. I am looking at a Dc extreme with 28 kohler efi or the Huslter z with same engine. Any thoughts or comments would be apprecitated

RhettMan
08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
i use a 98 50" DC classic, these mowers just dont break.

I did find a small oil drip a while back, nothing serious

At this point, i have thought many times about selling the mower but keep coming back to one thought, it makes alot more in a year than i can sell it for, all i do is change the oil and keep the blades sharp, and it holds up its end of the bargain.

Madcape
08-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Point taken! thanks

big_country
08-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Until the wheels fall off, then put them back on and keep mowing. Common sense would be to take it out of the fleet when your putting more money in it than its worth.

DuallyVette
08-07-2008, 07:13 PM
The BEST time to trade a mower is when it no longer serves its purpose. If you need something bigger or smaller, or if you find something that will save TIME. We use to mow a lot of properties with a Toro Hydro walkbehind (20hp 52" w/ a velky). I tried out a Great Dane Origional Surfer(52" 22hp) We cut our mowing time down by 30%. so I bought two. The Toro sat in the shed for 10 years. The two Surfers now have new 27hp Kohler engines after 10 years. I'd like a couple of new Standers, but I'm not spending the money unless I need to. Shiney is nice, but a few hours after shiney....its dirty again.

Genlandscape
08-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I agree if it costs more to maintain than it makes, it's a no brainer. If it still cuts well, and isn't costing you a fortune to keep up, than mow more grass!!

BUMBLE BEE
08-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Buy A New One. I Buy A Big Item Every Year Its A Great Tax Rite Off. I Bought A 08 Honda For man Last Year Great Fun And A Rite off

Madcape
08-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I dont have a tax rite off for this year so that is one of the reasons behind getting a new mower. Plus less down time for wear and tear items after 1400 hours.

Madcape
08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I understand the idea of as long as it makes more then it costs but if what will it be worth in another 2-3 years from now or worse will the hydros or engine go by then. I will be stuck with a $600 hydro repair or worst $2600 engine.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
08-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I dont have a tax rite off for this year so that is one of the reasons behind getting a new mower. Plus less down time for wear and tear items after 1400 hours.

Use common sense. most people think they have to buy something to get the so called write off. If you need to write off something, why don't you donate to your chuch, habitat or some other non profit.
I have a mower that has been in the fleet for 7 yrs now and I will keep it there until it cost me more to fix than replace. EVERYTIME that mower starts or any of my mowers, they are making me money and thats what I'm in business to do.

James

QualityLawnCare4u
08-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I used to feel the same way....until I owned a John Deere. I will never again keep a mower past 2 years don't care if it only has 100 hours on it! When the warranty goes, the mower will be replaced!

Madcape
08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I dont have that kind of money to just donate it to anything other than back in to my business(ie equipment). This is why i posted this question most people around here get new equipment every 5 years. The one guy gets new mowers every 2-3 years so he stays in warranty and get good money for his old equipment. I guess all these people dont have any common sense according to you. I expected to get help not be ridiculed wow thanks Daily and Big country!

DuallyVette
08-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I dont have that kind of money to just donate it to anything other than back in to my business(ie equipment). This is why i posted this question most people around here get new equipment every 5 years. The one guy gets new mowers every 2-3 years so he stays in warranty and get good money for his old equipment. I guess all these people dont have any common sense according to you. I expected to get help not be ridiculed wow thanks Daily and Big country!

I don't see any rediculing going on here. You ask for opinions and got them. I personally like new stuff. If a new motor for a 10 year old mower cost me $2600 ( I paid $1100 and I could always keep it for back-up) or a new mower was $6500, I'd get the new mower. If my mowers went to the dealer for repair so often that I wanted them to be in warranty, I'd look for a different brand, but that hasn't been my experience. I had a truck that went to the shop too many times during warranty, so I traded it at 35 months old.

Everybody has experience with different equipment, so they have different opinions.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
08-07-2008, 09:10 PM
You said you NEEDED a tax write off. I assumed you were making BIG money, not just wanting to buy a new piece of equipment that depreciates the minute you take it out the door. If your just wanting to buy a new piece of equipment and you want someone to give you approval than just say so.

Madcape
08-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I feel like the longer you keep a mower it is somewhat of a gamble. I guess I like the piece of mind of a warranty and used mowers sell quick here since its a year round business.

Madcape
08-07-2008, 09:22 PM
I have always had a write off and this would be the 1st year that i wouldnt. So I would be a little nervous to see what my tax bill would be.

nobagger
08-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Buy A New One. I Buy A Big Item Every Year Its A Great Tax Rite Off. I Bought A 08 Honda For man Last Year Great Fun And A Rite off

Great advise!:hammerhead: Like all but (one) have said, usually there used til' they die or just no longer preform well without nickel and diming you to death. We're fortunate our equipment is fairly new but employee's have taken their toll on some stuff this year but thats business I guess. Buy quality equipment and take somewhat good care of it and it should last for years and years. My advise....run it until it no longer makes you money!

DuallyVette
08-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I feel like the longer you keep a mower it is somewhat of a gamble. I guess I like the piece of mind of a warranty and used mowers sell quick here since its a year round business.

I think that used mowers sell so fast because they are a bargain. My good deal is someone else's whippin. If a machine goes to the dealer during warranty a lot, then I would want it gone. These machines are pretty dependable. I've had hydro's go out on a week old mower, and then last over 10 years.

When I buy something new, I plan on using ALL of it myself= no depreciation. I've never had a mower, car or truck owe me anything.

Oldtimer
08-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I have a few customers who replace their Z mowers every 1000 hours or 2 years, whichever comes first. I have seen a couple of 72" Lazers replaced with <700 hours but they were coming up on 2 years old.

Some manufacturers allow LCOs, who have Government contracts, to purchase new equipment at around 20% off. These LCOs usually get new equipment every 2 years.

Oldtimer

nobagger
08-07-2008, 09:41 PM

Unless your dealer has a loaner if and when you break down, it seems your still waiting days if not weeks for most repairs, at least around here! So the word "warranty" is just a word for me.

Madcape
08-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks to everybody for the input!

cbegap
08-07-2008, 10:28 PM
If you are good enough with your taxes that you know if it is the difference between donating your profits to Uncle Sam or buying a new piece of machinery, then the choice is obvious. I have a house and it is full of kids. I really don't need any more deductions. What I do need is cash flow (hopefully more in than out). Funny thing, the IRS doesn't care if you make a ton of money and spend it all with bad business decisions and huge overhead and therefore make no money on paper. Buy used machines, fix them yourself, keep your overhead low and generate the same revenue with a 1/4 of the expenses and they want to hold out their hand and take a nice chunk. They penalize profitability and reward stupidity. Go figure!!

Madcape
08-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Good Point! Spend it or lose it !

topsites
08-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Tax-wise you can also 'accelerate' depreciation on any and all your current equipment, in terms of write-offs this can and will come back to bite you later but seeing how the IRS doesn't send me a check in the amount of the write-off it's all good.

Funny thing, the IRS doesn't care if you make a ton of money and spend it all with bad business decisions and huge overhead and therefore make no money on paper. Buy used machines, fix them yourself, keep your overhead low and generate the same revenue with a 1/4 of the expenses and they want to hold out their hand and take a nice chunk. They penalize profitability and reward stupidity. Go figure!!

Yeah that is kind of stupid, I still don't quite understand what sounds
like the perfect plan to bankrupt my company and come out ahead,
but it's just not the way I do things.

I think one has to see the long run of it, not sure thou.

DuallyVette
08-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Accelerated depreciation lets you keep your money LONGER. You may use the money to grow your business, or just owe it in subsequent years. Anything can happen; business could be bad the next year...or you could die.