PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to all

ALarsh
08-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Well, I have been on lawnsite for quite some time and have always enjoyed reading the stories that some people come up with. I would say lawnsite was one of the primary reasons I had such a drive for this business and it is a great resource. The business I started in 8th grade has recently been sold. I am now 19 years old and am proud to announce that I will be stepping down from the lawn care business. There were several reasons for my decisions and as I sit now, I think I have made the right one. Lawnsite and this business has taught me so much invaluable information I could never learn in a classroom that I will be taking with me from this experience. I will be heading off to college this fall and feel like I have stepped out of the business at the perfect time and with many new friends.

I wish all of you the best of luck and hope to keep in contact with some of the closer friends I have made here.

I have attached some pictures of the final equipment picture and me (in green) and the new business owner (in hat).

RhettMan
08-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Was it sad to see your stuff drive off?

Just curious, if you dont mind me asking...

How much did the business sell for?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
08-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Just curious, if you dont mind me asking...

How much did the business sell for?

Thats what I'd like to know too. How many accounts did you have?

lawnspecialties
08-07-2008, 06:47 PM
It would be tough for me, I know. But then, I'd just keep looking at the check the new owner gave me and that would help.:)

punt66
08-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Im considering doing the same.

big_country
08-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I can awnser that because I sold out for college obligations to put me in position for a good career. It is sad to see your equipment drive off with out you. Its ecspecially sad to load your kubota up for the last time and watch it pull out of the driveway. Yes the money might be good, but when you want to piddle on your tractor it is worthless.

ALarsh
08-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Yes it is very sad to see your equipment drive down the road without you. My heart really wasn't into the business anymore and I didn't feel like the hard work was worth the money. I will not be cutting lawns the rest of my life so I think this was the right time to make a change.

I would rather not publish the price all over lawnsite. When selling a business, I think it is important to ask yourself if you were starting out, would you pay that much for the same business? If that answer is no, you are probably getting enough money.

I do not have a love for the equipment like some people do here. Yeah it is neat, expensive, cool equipment, but if I can be doing something else making more money enjoying myself, I am all over it.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Congratulations! You will be a very successful in life, and I wish you the best of luck thru your college years and on.

J&R Landscaping
08-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Best of luck! What are you majoring in?

ED'S LAWNCARE
08-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Good luck.. From reading your posts it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders..Hop on lawnsite every once in a while to let us know how you are doing...

DLAWNS
08-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Good luck with your new venture.

Petr51488
08-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Mannnnnn what a shocker! Was it competition, or did you just loose interest in it all together? or a number of things? Sad to see you go. Whatever you decide to do in the future, you'll do allright in. I knew another guy here who did the same thing you did. He sold off his business before he went of to college. Good kid like you, and knew what he was doing. Good luck in life!

lawnboy858
08-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Alarsh, I'm now 17 and I've considered doing the same. I'm graduating in 2 years, and don't plan on doing the same for the rest of my life. I think having a lawn business taught me how to manage my expenses early on, and how to have a relationship with a customer, and provide quality service.

I have also learned so much helpful information in the time I've spent on this site, wow. Good luck with your college ventures, what are you majoring in?

Matt

ALarsh
08-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I will be majoring in Accounting / Entrepreneurship.

It came down to a number of things. Of them were I wasn't as interested in the business anymore, tired of the same work every week, tired of being on the same level as the lawn mower kid next door and dealing with some of the customers that think they should get A+ service while being a month late on payment. The other things were is that I don't want to be cutting lawns my whole life and I am going to be working myself into something with a much high pay off (and higher risk of course). I feel like the money wasn't worth all the time required and I could be doing something more worth while.

Lastly, it simply came down to price. The money that I was offered was too good to pass up.

ALarsh
08-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Alarsh, I'm now 17 and I've considered doing the same. I'm graduating in 2 years, and don't plan on doing the same for the rest of my life. I think having a lawn business taught me how to manage my expenses early on, and how to have a relationship with a customer, and provide quality service.

I have also learned so much helpful information in the time I've spent on this site, wow. Good luck with your college ventures, what are you majoring in?

Matt

If I were you, I would continue to grow your business until you graduate high school. Don't get me wrong, this is a great income while still being in high school, but once out in the real world it isn't much. If you continue to grow your business through high school, it will be worth more for when you want to sell it before college. It is easier to find someone that is willing to pay more for it. Timing is essential in the sale of a business.

ALarsh
08-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Thank you for all the positive comments.

windsory
08-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Could you give us an idea of what you sold it for as a percentage of gross?

ALarsh
08-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Well I sold it for 109% of last years gross, but that includes all the equipment pictured also.

Richard Martin
08-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Well, good luck in whatever you decide to do. It's been a pleasure reading your posts over the years.

Just as an afterthought....

When you retire in 30 years and decide you want to get back in a lawn service just for something to do, I'll still be here.:laugh:

Lawn Enforcer
08-21-2008, 03:25 PM
:)Well, I don't think I could ever sell my business, but if it doesn't seem to be the thing for you, I guess you do what you have to do. Good luck in college and with whatever you do in life. Check in on lawnsite from time to time. Have a good one man-

Aaron's Lawn Care
08-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Congrats on your decision and good luck in college. I've been considering making the same choice that you made except I'm 22 and have run my business throughout college. It's been very difficult.

Just curious, how many regular customers did you have before you sold your business? What was the average lawn size?

Thanks.

Grits
08-21-2008, 09:49 PM
EVERYTHING is for sale.....for the right price.

mississippiturf
08-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Farewell, good luck, God bless, and may you have a lifetime of contentment.:waving::waving:

LawnBrother
08-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Good luck, I'm starting college in the spring so I am facing some decisions as well. Take care, hope you learn something!

STIHL GUY
08-21-2008, 10:43 PM
good luck in the future and in college

South Florida Lawns
12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Man good luck to you. I tried college back in 2003, it did not go so well. I worked my ass of during the day mowing, and then stayed up all night doing school work. I think you were smart getting out so you can focus more on your classes.

ALarsh
12-20-2008, 11:32 AM
I had about 50 lawn accounts and 80 snow plowing accounts.

Just finished my first semester. I had a lot of extra time (only 13 credits though) and am expecting a 3.8-4.0 gpa... I already felt like I learned a lot but I have been bored with all the extra time. I am taking 17 credits next semester so should be a little busier, but i'm working for a local company here snow plowing during break and i'm the student manager of the university center food service employees.

I've been working for the past two months on starting my next business. :dancing: It should be an excellent business that benefits the customers by actually saving them money and there is only one national franchise pushing the service with virtually no other competition. Should be all setup and running in the next 11-20 weeks. :clapping:

punt66
12-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I had about 50 lawn accounts and 80 snow plowing accounts.

Just finished my first semester. I had a lot of extra time (only 13 credits though) and am expecting a 3.8-4.0 gpa... I already felt like I learned a lot but I have been bored with all the extra time. I am taking 17 credits next semester so should be a little busier, but i'm working for a local company here snow plowing during break and i'm the student manager of the university center food service employees.

I've been working for the past two months on starting my next business. :dancing: It should be an excellent business that benefits the customers by actually saving them money and there is only one national franchise pushing the service with virtually no other competition. Should be all setup and running in the next 11-20 weeks. :clapping:

Yea, are you talking about an online savings club. I know 3 people who tried it. Sunk alot of money in there sites they wished to get back. Hope you have better luck.

ALarsh
12-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Nope not that... Hopefully it will be much more profitable than that also... :)

Green Team Landscaping
12-21-2008, 08:48 PM
One question for you... Why not have a friend "take over" while you're away at college, and have him do the work, but still make money off of that. I know you said your heart wasn't in it, but with that alternative, you would only need to keep the books.

ALC-GregH
12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
So what's this new business your talking about?