PDA

View Full Version : Infestation of Pokeweed

capetrees
08-07-2008, 06:53 PM
How do I get rid of this pest? I don't know why but it has decided to invade my property and as much as I pull it up, it keeps coming back. I pull the entire root and its fairly easy in that most of the yard is sand. It's not in the lawn but just about everywhere else. How does it spread if I pull it before it seeds? And if I am pulling it, how is it coming back? My yard is pretty much the same as it has been for years with no major import of new loam or plants yet this keeps getting more and more prevelant. Is it in the mulch? Any ideas?:confused:

Marcos
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
How do I get rid of this pest? I don't know why but it has decided to invade my property and as much as I pull it up, it keeps coming back. I pull the entire root and its fairly easy in that most of the yard is sand. It's not in the lawn but just about everywhere else. How does it spread if I pull it before it seeds? And if I am pulling it, how is it coming back? My yard is pretty much the same as it has been for years with no major import of new loam or plants yet this keeps getting more and more prevelant. Is it in the mulch? Any ideas?:confused:

If you can't beat it, why don't you cook some of it up?!?
:clapping:

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/Pokeweed.htm

Doster's L & L
08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
The reason it is still coming back up is because when you pull it up, a piece of the root system has broken off. The remaining piece of poke root produces another poke weed. If the poke is not in the lawn, you may be able to spray round up on the new growth to keep control of it. 2,4-d may work on it as well.

garydale
08-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I have the same problem.
Spray it when its small with Roundup.

Birds dropping the seed is your source. The seed passes right thru them.

The other super pain in my landscape is mulberry plants. Birds again are the culprit.