PDA

View Full Version : What was your largest tank cocktail?

carcrz
08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Just curious what your largest product list on your tank cocktail was? Some of the late sign-ups getting a pre-emergent & a post-emergent. Maybe even some grub control in there? Some nutsedge? Lets hear it!

PSUTURFGEEK
08-07-2008, 10:08 PM
At one time when I worked for a course with a 2.4 million dollar maintainance budget I would do an early spring cleanup spray which consisted of, Banner maxx, subdue maxx, alliette signature, 3336, some iron and a tenth of urea,it may not win for most chemicals used but on 27 holes and 33 acres of fairways and tees but it may win for most expensive application for that amount of acreage.

RigglePLC
08-07-2008, 11:03 PM
For spot spraying serious weed situations. When it was still labeled for residential turf--we combined Confront, plus Surge, plus crop oil.

jdmcat
08-08-2008, 01:46 AM
For fast non-selective results when it HOT I use Gly, Diquat, 2,4-D, and lots of sticker.

greendoctor
08-08-2008, 03:06 AM
When I had seashore paspalum in serious decline, it was Insignia, 3336, Fore(mancozeb), Prostar and Subdue, this was added to 1/2 lb potassium nitrate, 1/2 lb urea and micronutrients. Lawn came out of whatever was causing it to patch and the client did not fire me. For weeds in bermuda and zoysia, MSMA, simazine, Image, Banvel and 2.4-D ester. I only mix this one if there is every kind of weed in the lawn. Don't have Dismiss or Drive here, so I do what I have to. Bareground application: Karmex, Hyvar, MSMA, Garlon ester and Oust. Everything died and area stayed dead for 5 years. Another bareground was sprayed with Arsenal, Tordon 22K, and Karmex. I recently got called in to do a custom application for a nursery. Heritage, mancozeb, Kelthane, and Orthene. The next week was a followup application with Daconil, Marathon(imidacloprid), Avid and Subdue.

Do not get the idea that I mix up everything in my lockbox and broadcast it everywhere. When posssible, I target specific weeds or pests. However, I am presented with severe situations where there is no neat, politically correct solution. My clients would not stand for me treating one thing at a time over the next month or two. In the case of the nursery, that was $500,000 or more of plants.

greendoctor
08-08-2008, 03:11 AM
At one time when I worked for a course with a 2.4 million dollar maintainance budget I would do an early spring cleanup spray which consisted of, Banner maxx, subdue maxx, alliette signature, 3336, some iron and a tenth of urea,it may not win for most chemicals used but on 27 holes and 33 acres of fairways and tees but it may win for most expensive application for that amount of acreage.

The fungicide mix I used for that lawn with decline probably costed close to $50/M. Never had to do that again. This was when I was working for a company and they would let a lawn get really bad before I saw it. I do not want to be out $50/M, so now I monitor and maintain a lawn so it never gets that bad. If disease does start, a low rate of Eagle or Insignia is enough, not a $50 tank mix.

EA Quinn
08-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Depending on time of year, at some points im running surge, drive, merit, talstar and dimension ultra.

tremor
08-08-2008, 07:47 PM
I only treated a few lawns with this monster mix. I was training/helping a former employee/friend. He had let Crabs pop on a bunch of new customers he had spring seeded. To make matters worse, he was cutting these lawns & had blasted them with starter followed with a regular fert so things had gotten way ahead of him.

18-3-6 N-Sure based fert .5#N
Dimension Ultra @ .18 # AI/A
Acclaim Extra @ .25 oz/M
Talstar @ .33 oz/M
Merit 75WSP @ .3# AI/A
Turflon II Amine @ 1 oz/M (I think it was..not sure)
Primo @ .7oz/M

This actually became a regular cocktail for him. One year he ran into some drought related phyto on fine fescue & he was advised to always steer clear of Poa & Bent.

phasthound
08-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Wow!! You guys sure know how to make some avoidable problems that are very expensive to fix.

Ducking for cover. :)

ICT Bill
08-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Jeez :confused: :confused: :confused: :dizzy: :dizzy:

thats all I can say

also ducking

are you guys F'ing out of your mind, I hope you have some really great suits that you have been wearing, think moon mission
DO NOT tell your insurance company, they will drop you like a bomb (pun intended)

LushGreenLawn
08-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I only treated a few lawns with this monster mix. I was training/helping a former employee/friend. He had let Crabs pop on a bunch of new customers he had spring seeded. To make matters worse, he was cutting these lawns & had blasted them with starter followed with a regular fert so things had gotten way ahead of him.

Acclaim Extra @ .25 oz/M
Talstar @ .33 oz/M
Merit 75WSP @ .3# AI/A
Primo @ .7oz/M

This actually became a regular cocktail for him. One year he ran into some drought related phyto on fine fescue & he was advised to always steer clear of Poa & Bent.

What are you charging, $1200 per acre?

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-09-2008, 01:48 AM
My list is pretty tame.

-Nitrogen
-Potassium
-Iron
-Prodiamine
-Triplet
-Imidachloprid

greendoctor
08-09-2008, 05:09 AM
Jeez :confused: :confused: :confused: :dizzy: :dizzy:

thats all I can say

also ducking

are you guys F'ing out of your mind, I hope you have some really great suits that you have been wearing, think moon mission
DO NOT tell your insurance company, they will drop you like a bomb (pun intended)

That mix I use on the nursery stock is only handled in full protective gear. In order for me to maintain lawns and landscapes the PC way. I will have to replace lawns with Astroturf and shrubs with silk plants, in some cases. I will also have to talk my IVM clients into capping all of their bareground areas with 6" of concrete. It is not easy being green, much less pay for it.

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-09-2008, 12:10 PM
That mix I use on the nursery stock is only handled in full protective gear.

Are you serious? I'm flip-flops and a speedo all the way. I don't want those chems staining my fancy wardrobe. I rinse off easily enough. :laugh:

tremor
08-09-2008, 03:59 PM
What are you charging, $1200 per acre?

I think you said it better than I would have.

"Its not my job to make it affordable, Its your job to afford it"

tlg
08-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Why is it that the "organic proponents" are constantly on the pesticide forum? Is it perhaps there is no real substance on the organic forum? Those that are pushing their organic agenda in this forum are constantly knocking a legitimate group of businessmen who just happen to apply pesticides for a living. To diminish an entire industry by your comments is irresponsible, reckless, and just wrong. I am sure that you don't know it all. Your thoughts on chemicals and pesticides are nothing more than your opinion however tainted that may be. It seems to me that if your products and procedures were so great they would stand alone without finding fault with others who having chosen a different way of taking care of our customers lawns. Those that choose organic care is fine with me. I can find plenty of legitimate reasons to do so. On the other hand the chemical application industry has proven it's benefits in turf and ornamental care as well as agriculture for years and years. If your intent is to get those of us that use chemicals to switch to organics, your tactics are reprehensible. Hell I wouldn't even talk to you because your so off the wall fanatical. If you insist on bashing what we do on this forum, just remember we could be your next customer. It's obvious that the chemical application industry is your target customer otherwise you would not be here. Just for the sake of staying on topic we mix in our tanks whatever it takes to get the job done. I don't care if it's synthetic or organic.

lilmarvin4064
08-10-2008, 01:35 AM
If your intent is to get those of us that use chemicals to switch to organics, your tactics are reprehensible. Hell I wouldn't even talk to you because your so off the wall fanatical. If you insist on bashing what we do on this forum, just remember we could be your next customer.

:clapping:

greendoctor
08-10-2008, 03:44 AM
Why is it that the "organic proponents" are constantly on the pesticide forum? Is it perhaps there is no real substance on the organic forum? Those that are pushing their organic agenda in this forum are constantly knocking a legitimate group of businessmen who just happen to apply pesticides for a living. To diminish an entire industry by your comments is irresponsible, reckless, and just wrong. I am sure that you don't know it all. Your thoughts on chemicals and pesticides are nothing more than your opinion however tainted that may be. It seems to me that if your products and procedures were so great they would stand alone without finding fault with others who having chosen a different way of taking care of our customers lawns. Those that choose organic care is fine with me. I can find plenty of legitimate reasons to do so. On the other hand the chemical application industry has proven it's benefits in turf and ornamental care as well as agriculture for years and years. If your intent is to get those of us that use chemicals to switch to organics, your tactics are reprehensible. Hell I wouldn't even talk to you because your so off the wall fanatical. If you insist on bashing what we do on this forum, just remember we could be your next customer. It's obvious that the chemical application industry is your target customer otherwise you would not be here. Just for the sake of staying on topic we mix in our tanks whatever it takes to get the job done. I don't care if it's synthetic or organic.

Thank you for putting my thoughts into words. Tank mixes are not a routine procedure for me. I only do this when thousands of dollars of plants or sod are going to be history if I sit on my hands and be politically correct. I am proud of the fact that only one lawn ever got that fungicide mix and the fungicide, insecticide, miticide mix was only applied to a specific block of plants that desperately needed it. I do what is needed when no one else will step up and get it done.

heritage
08-10-2008, 10:52 AM
I think you said it better than I would have.

"Its not my job to make it affordable, Its your job to afford it"

Exactly.

Quality comes at a cost :)

Pete

heritage
08-10-2008, 10:58 AM

Acclaim Extra @ .25 oz/M
Talstar @ .33 oz/M
Merit 75WSP @ .3# AI/A
Primo @ .7oz/M

Thank you for shareing Tremor.

I wrote it down and call it "Tremor's Super Blend"

Next season I will try it at my home and a few of the "High Enders"

Pete

americanlawn
08-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Dallas ChemScape late 70's -- early 80's:

2 insecticides, 2 fungicides, 1 miticide (Kelthane), polyN (to buffer the pH of the water), and a spreader/sticker. That's six products, and we sprayed every woody ornamental on all customers' properties --trees, shubs, vines, ground covers.

greendoctor
08-11-2008, 02:27 PM
I am sure some of the tank mixing is due to less effective insecticides and fungicides being available. In the 70's and 80's, no such thing as Eagle, Merit or Heritage. I shudder at some of the things sprayed on roses before Merit became available.

lilmarvin4064
08-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Just used a mix of
2,4-D
TIPA 2,4-D
dicamba
triclopyr
fluroxypyr
quinclorac
sulfentrazone
MSMA

not all full rates though

greendoctor
08-16-2008, 03:30 AM
Just used a mix of
2,4-D
TIPA 2,4-D
dicamba
triclopyr
fluroxypyr
quinclorac
sulfentrazone
MSMA

not all full rates though

That is more of a mix than what I use on very weedy bermuda and zoysia lawns.

Mine is
MSMA 2 quart
Image 11.64 oz.
simazine 1 lb
Banvel 8 oz
2,4-D ester 1 quart 6 lb/gallon

There would be Spotlight(fluroxypyr) in there, but that is not sold in Hawaii. Drive and Dismiss are totally illegal here.

What were you trying to kill in the lawn? My mix is used when tha lawn has goosegrass, paspalum, smutgrass, broadleaf weeds and sedges. Once a lawn has been on my program for 2 months, there is no longer a need to spray so many herbicides on the lawn. After 2 months, all I am dealing with is purple nutsedge. That gets taken out with Quicksilver + Certainty.