PDA

View Full Version : Want to start now for 2009 commercial accounts

stevenf
08-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I wont have much work to do over the winter so I figured I would tackle a partime job and focus on commercial accounts. I know the majority of them have contracts that dont end until April/May. What would you recommend to get your name out there? Should I cold call apartments? Should I start mailing letters to businesses an apartment complexes now? I dont want winter to be non-productive.

thelawnboss
08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I dont think that sending mailers to commercial accounts helps much. The best thing i have seen is just show up and introduce yourself to whoever is in charge. Will take alot more time then just mailing stuff, but you will be alot happier with the outcome.

markmarcywhite
08-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Don't touch without contract. When you do visit find out when they rebid and look professional (clothes) and don't be afraid to go after the big fish. Don't lowball, consider all expences before giving quote. When speaking to customer, talk as a lawn care company, not as a boy wanting to mow his neighbors yard cheap. Also remember lowest bid doesn't always win. Itemize bids out by listing as many services you are providing as possible.

1wezil
08-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Know your cost and what you want to make , it can be hard i found that out this last spring i shot myself on some real nice ones ! don't give up and GOOD luck !

djagusch
08-10-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm currently setting myself up to approach commericial accounts also. I currenlty have about 4 days of work on the schedule so on my day off I take a look at properties, rate them (do I want them), bid them out for the services I offer and then file them in folder. It beats estimating in the snow and you can actually tell the quality of the turf.

Over the fall I will be contacting them to see if they are taking bids or when they will be taking them. Most will say call back in Feb or March which is fine because I just got the contact info and time to call them back when they are ready to make a decision.

When you call ask if you can schedule a time to go over there lawn care needs. Sometimes dropping in works but they tend to be busy throughout the day, so it is hit or miss.

I gained a HOA and 3 apartment complexes last year doing this. Unfortunately I didn't think big enough last year. I had a list of about 8 or 9 This year I have about 35 currently which are buisnesses that would take service on Mon/Tues which are my days that aren't full.