PDA

View Full Version : Flooded Valve Box

ZX12R
08-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I took this pic from cell phone today.Its a clients house where I maintain the property. It's hard to see,but,the box is filled from water when the lawn gets irrigated. This happens every day. How good can this be fir valves? Will it shorten their life?

irritation
08-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Absolutely not. But fill in the low area and raise the box so they don't have that problem.

Mike Leary
08-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Get a freaking clue; are you the sprinkler guy or not?

hoskm01
08-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Absolutely not. But fill in the low area and raise the box so they don't have that problem.
Or actualy diagnose and fix the problem. If the box in the turf gets filled with water, you have bigger fish to fry unless it was put it in a culvert or swale or the like, in which case you should be cycling and soaking.

ZX12R
08-07-2008, 09:10 PM
"Get a freaking clue; are you the sprinkler guy or not?"

I am not a sprikler guy at all,I maintain the property as far as landscaping.

Mike Leary
08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I am not a sprikler guy at all

At least you're honest. :clapping:

ZX12R
08-07-2008, 09:19 PM
"Or actualy diagnose and fix the problem. If the box in the turf gets filled with water, you have bigger fish to fry unless it was put it in a culvert or swale or the like, in which case you should be cycling and soaking."

It's not my problem to fix,I was just curious as to if it would shorten valve life. The box is pretty much on flat ground....no swale. This property has 23 zones and water runs about 10 hours per day. :dizzy:

irritation
08-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Or actualy diagnose and fix the problem. If the box in the turf gets filled with water, you have bigger fish to fry unless it was put it in a culvert or swale or the like, in which case you should be cycling and soaking.

Not necessarily a leak problem, just a low area holding water.

hoskm01
08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Not necessarily a leak problem, just a low area holding water.
too much water at once then. It is not being applied properly if it is running to the box.

ZX12R
08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
No need for me to lie Mike.In my other posts,I openly admit that I do not do irrigation for hire. I am just looking to learn for my own property.

hoskm01
08-07-2008, 09:22 PM
"Or actualy diagnose and fix the problem. If the box in the turf gets filled with water, you have bigger fish to fry unless it was put it in a culvert or swale or the like, in which case you should be cycling and soaking."

It's not my problem to fix,I was just curious as to if it would shorten valve life. The box is pretty much on flat ground....no swale. This property has 23 zones and water runs about 10 hours per day. :dizzy:
one zone at a time, for rotors or mp's, that is spot on for peak summer temps.

michigander
08-07-2008, 09:25 PM
It will not hurt the valves! I would only worry about the wire nuts and if there sealed well. I find so many that have the cheap, no grease wire nuts.

ZX12R
08-07-2008, 09:28 PM
"one zone at a time, for rotors or mp's, that is spot on for peak summer temps."

This homeowner is unbeleivable,he really does his homework on everything he does. His property,his lawn and his plants are beautiful.......plants grow like hell,but they all do extremely well.

irritation
08-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I would only worry about the wire nuts and if there sealed well. I find so many that have the cheap, no grease wire nuts.

And I have seen many that way lasting for decades.:confused:

ZX12R
08-07-2008, 09:29 PM
"one zone at a time, for rotors or mp's, that is spot on for peak summer temps."

This homeowner is unbelievable,he really does his homework on everything he does. His property,his lawn and his plants are beautiful.......plants grow like hell,but they all do extremely well.

Mike Leary
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
one zone at a time, for rotors or mp's,that.

Meaning what?

hoskm01
08-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Meaning what?
that an hour for rotors or MP's, is not out of the ordinary. sprays would be excessive at an hour. as many zones as possible, as far as I am concerned, without sacrificing coverage. if he split the 23 in half, ran it 6 nights a week, that could be about 10 hours daily, and normal.

michigander
08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
And I have seen many that way lasting for decades.:confused:

I would say way more wiring proplems are from cheap wire nuts, than with nuts filled with grease. Only cheap installers use the cheap wire nuts!:hammerhead:

irritation
08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Only cheap installers use the cheap wire nuts!:hammerhead:

I agree, but I've seen them last.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-07-2008, 10:43 PM
well the wiring could be issue if it runs while flooded and they didn't use king nuts or a sealant ....

DanaMac
08-07-2008, 11:19 PM
I took this pic from cell phone today.Its a clients house where I maintain the property. It's hard to see,but,the box is filled from water when the lawn gets irrigated. This happens every day. How good can this be fir valves? Will it shorten their life?

Shouldn't run EVERY day. Start cutting it back if they will let you.

ARGOS
08-07-2008, 11:24 PM
I change wire nuts all the time. I am always amazed that an installer would use non grease wire nuts.

Kiril
08-08-2008, 12:17 AM

Jeez, took 21 posts for someone to mention this!

Waterit
08-08-2008, 12:25 AM

Hey, you! They actually got TO the point, didn't they?:laugh:

AI Inc
08-08-2008, 06:17 AM
I change wire nuts all the time. I am always amazed that an installer would use non grease wire nuts.

Im old school, wire nuts and greese packs for me.

DanaMac
08-08-2008, 07:21 AM

Thank you. Thank you very much. (in a weak Elvis impersonation)

hoskm01
08-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Each zone should not run every day. Running some zones one day and others the next could leave the system running EVERY DAY.

Mike Leary
08-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Each zone should not run every day. Running some zones one day and others the next could leave the system running EVERY DAY.

We've got systems that run 24-7.

hoskm01
08-08-2008, 07:31 PM
We've got systems that run 24-7.
I rest my case.

Mike Leary
08-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I rest my case.

What case ?

irrig8r
08-08-2008, 07:53 PM

Every day watering might be contributing to the problem. That grass in your pic looks pretty lush.

Guess I should have read ahead. Anyway, that was my first response to this thread.

Mike Leary
08-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Every day watering might be contributing to the problem.

If you're on a well or cistern, every day is normal, 'cause you need the re-charge. Run times are short & yes, could contribute to shallow rooting.
When you manage sites like these, without Central System, the zones are
adjusted monthly until a "historical" operation time is achieved. Then the
percentages can be either entered or programmed (W*M Smartline has a
monthly % adjustment). I don't know of any clock that adjusts per zone,
but most of the clocks have % adjustments per program.

ZX12R
08-08-2008, 09:16 PM
You know,every property is different as far as watering needs are concerned. Full sun,part shade,full shade,trees,hills,and soil all have different effects. This guy is spot on for the watering needs of his lawn.....it's thick,green and beautiful. The only thing I would cut back on is the amount of water he gives his plants.

bicmudpuppy
08-08-2008, 10:50 PM
I have preached interval watering my whole career, BUT sometimes, you have to work with what you have. Take my current situation with the golf course. Being able to run 2 grand a minute SOUNDS like a lot of water. I'm watering 60 Acres of finely maintained turf. It take 2.5 Acre-Feet of water to apply .5" of water to that much ground. With the water window I have, I have to work the central tight to run 2 Acre-Feet in one night cycle. At 90+ degrees, a light breeze, and humidity below 25%, If I understand things, this gives me an ET of more than .5"/day. Even when the temp drops back to low 80's, I need over one acre feet/day.

ZX12R
08-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Speak English please,everything you just said was WAY over my head.:) God Bless you for understanding that! :drinkup:

bicmudpuppy
08-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Speak English please,everything you just said was WAY over my head.:) God Bless you for understanding that! :drinkup:

We have a HOMEOWNER forum and Off topic forum for such vulgarities :)

ZX12R
08-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Ha ha ha ,me vulgar? Never.:)

Mike Leary
08-08-2008, 11:31 PM
We have a HOMEOWNER forum and Off topic forum for such vulgarities :)

Um, ditto that. :clapping:

ZX12R
08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Be nice guys,I am not your typical homeowner.........read as lazy idiot.:rolleyes:

Kiril
08-09-2008, 12:32 AM
this gives me an ET of more than .5"/day.

How are you determining your ET (Evap Pan, Lysimeter, Penman-Monteith)? Seems to me it would be a good thing to have on site ET and/or ETo determination when your using that much water.