PDA

View Full Version : cub cadet commercial mowers...

djflats
08-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Hello to everyone. I'm new and I'm not in lawn service or landscaping business but I am interested in things such as lawn care. This looked like a good site so here I am.
Right now I have a Tank M48, 48", 19 HP Kawasaki. I think it's a 2004. I seen some of the new Cub Cadet mowers like the Tank, Enforcer, and the Recon. Towards the end of the year I'm thinking of getting a new mower. Cub Cadet is the only ZT dealer in my area. I'm curious about some of the main differences in the Cub Cadet ZT series. I know the Tank I have is a pretty heavy mower. Are the Enforcers and Recons just smaller commercial mowers, or should I say lower in price? I don't mow for a living, just around my house and also my dad's house. The total is about 5 1/2 acres. I have the Commercial M48 now because some of the terrain is a little rough. There are some "hilly" areas also.
I would like to have a little more HP also, I think my 265 pounds drag it down some.:confused:
By the way, does anyone know the blade tip speed of the Tank M48, the one I have? Thanks.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-07-2008, 11:26 PM
the tank is the only way to go with the cub cadet ....with that kind of area you could get a bigger deck with a big engine , i have one like you have with 900 hours , the trade in in my area is between 3000 and 4000 which is good ........

djflats
08-07-2008, 11:35 PM
I would like to go up in HP and maybe up to a 54". There are a few tight areas where the 48" comes in handy. So far I've had no problems with the Tank. I guess I was just wondering if I should stay with a TANK or go with a smaller(lighter) commercial like the Enforcer or Recon. I seen a Recon today with a 25 horse Kohler and a 60" deck. It looks nice, I just haven't heard much about them.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-07-2008, 11:43 PM
i think they have some problems with them the 60 inch recon .the widt would be the same, they are not commercial ......................................

Nosmo
08-08-2008, 06:57 AM
If you are going to trade for another Cub Cadet go commercial. If you want a little wider cut go with the 54".

The Tank is the commercial unit I'm talking about. I have a 2006 with the Command Cut Deck and it gives a beautiful cut. From what I have read the newer Select Cut Deck is even better yet.

For a homeowner use only a Tank should last many, many years and give good service.

Nosmo

djflats
08-08-2008, 07:05 AM
i think they have some problems with them the 60 inch recon .the widt would be the same, they are not commercial ......................................

With me just cutting 5 acres or so a week, do you think I should stay with a commercial or go to a larger residential? I'm just wondering how the larger residential mowers would hold up for the terrain I cut.(it's not real rough).
I had talked to a guy that sold Hustlers and he seemed to think a residential ZT would be fine. That dealer isn't local though or I would also consider a Hustler.
It sounds like the TANK may be my best bet then.
Btw, do you know the blade tip speed of the TANK M48(48", 19 hp Kaw)? Thanks.

djflats
08-08-2008, 07:18 AM
I do see the TANK M54-KH. 54" cut with a 27 hp Kohler. That would be a nice upgrade.
Let me ask you this. Would the M48-KW have much more power than my M48? I realize it's the same "cut" but would the boost in hp(4) from the 19 to the 23 Kawasaki be significant?

thinksnow
08-08-2008, 08:30 AM
If you have a Lesco dealer near you there are still some 07 left over Ztwo's in the system. I just picked up the 60" for $5679. The Lesco Ztwo is the cub cadet tank with a different paint job. Any parts you may need you can get from the cub cadet dealer.

ProStreetCamaro
08-08-2008, 09:08 AM
I do see the TANK M54-KH. 54" cut with a 27 hp Kohler. That would be a nice upgrade.
Let me ask you this. Would the M48-KW have much more power than my M48? I realize it's the same "cut" but would the boost in hp(4) from the 19 to the 23 Kawasaki be significant?

We had an M48 with the 23hp kaw. Even the 23hp would bog down on hills. In my oppinion 23hp is way more than enough for a 48" mower but for some reason ours just didnt have any "balls". I think it has to do with the big pumps and wheel motors cub uses on the Tanks. We sold ours with only 400 hours on it when we got a new Gravely 160Z this spring.

I find it hard to believe you have no dealers that sell other brands around you. The Tanks are good mowers and I hear the new select cut deck is even better but our M48 was ROUGH. On a lawn that wasnt perfectly smooth it felt like it was going to jar my baby brain out of my head. :laugh:

JKUCSMA
08-08-2008, 09:55 AM
I have an older one with a 20hp Honda,just for home use,doesn't bog only in the fall when a mulch alot of leaves,think blade speed around 19000,I added a suspension bottom to my seat though.

Burkhart Lawn Care
08-08-2008, 10:22 AM
I have a ENFORCER

djflats
08-08-2008, 06:08 PM
We had an M48 with the 23hp kaw. Even the 23hp would bog down on hills. In my oppinion 23hp is way more than enough for a 48" mower but for some reason ours just didnt have any "balls". I think it has to do with the big pumps and wheel motors cub uses on the Tanks. We sold ours with only 400 hours on it when we got a new Gravely 160Z this spring.

I find it hard to believe you have no dealers that sell other brands around you. The Tanks are good mowers and I hear the new select cut deck is even better but our M48 was ROUGH. On a lawn that wasnt perfectly smooth it felt like it was going to jar my baby brain out of my head. :laugh:

So far the only ZT's here are the residential's found at Home Depot and Lowe's. I'll keep searching though. One thing for sure, the M48 is a rough-riding S*B.:dizzy:

ambersLawnmowing
08-08-2008, 07:17 PM
If you have a Lesco dealer near you there are still some 07 left over Ztwo's in the system. I just picked up the 60" for $5679. The Lesco Ztwo is the cub cadet tank with a different paint job. Any parts you may need you can get from the cub cadet dealer.

It is the same as a M60 and i just bought a lesco today... But i gots a better deal i bought 2 and paid $5150.00 each.... Score.. Lesco is no longer lesco around these parts it is Called John Deere Landscapes

KCfireman
08-08-2008, 07:31 PM
i had to drop a friends tank off at the cub dealer today. This guy completey destroyed his deck. I have no clue what he hit but what ever he hit he hit it hard. When i loaded it up on the trailer i noticed the deck was so bent that the blades where bent up too. It was my first time going into a cub dealer and all i noticed we're all their commercial mowers in the shop. There had to have been over 35 commercial mowers in the shop needing repair. Now i have never owned one but that told me something that maybe this brand isnt a trusted brand?

dura to the max
08-08-2008, 07:43 PM
i had to drop a friends tank off at the cub dealer today. This guy completey destroyed his deck. I have no clue what he hit but what ever he hit he hit it hard. When i loaded it up on the trailer i noticed the deck was so bent that the blades where bent up too. It was my first time going into a cub dealer and all i noticed we're all their commercial mowers in the shop. There had to have been over 35 commercial mowers in the shop needing repair. Now i have never owned one but that told me something that maybe this brand isnt a trusted brand?

i don't know much about the cubs, but my exmark/gravely dealer has more mowers than that in the shop. the # waiting depends on the # of customers he has. don't tell me exmarks ain't reliable.

back to the original post, if you have a tractor supply company near you i think the bad boy that they have would be a great mower for your application. 60" deck w/ either a 26 or 27hp motor. it's a lighter duty commercial mower, but it seems very sturdy. i know one guy that has one and he likes it and he uses it commercially. great mower for less than 5k.

KCfireman
08-08-2008, 07:59 PM
i don't know much about the cubs, but my exmark/gravely dealer has more mowers than that in the shop. the # waiting depends on the # of customers he has. don't tell me exmarks ain't reliable.

back to the original post, if you have a tractor supply company near you i think the bad boy that they have would be a great mower for your application. 60" deck w/ either a 26 or 27hp motor. it's a lighter duty commercial mower, but it seems very sturdy. i know one guy that has one and he likes it and he uses it commercially. great mower for less than 5k.the local BB rep told me that all the BB mowers are home owners but thier built very heavily.

djflats
08-08-2008, 10:13 PM
the local BB rep told me that all the BB mowers are home owners but thier built very heavily.

I found a Tractor Supply store within 25 miles. Maybe I'll give them a call and see what they have in stock. The BB looks pretty cool. 60" cut with a 26 hp Briggs and Stratton.

lifetree
08-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I guess my thought is that I can't see spending to replace the 2004 48" Tank with a new one ... it doesn't make sense to me to spend the money when you're only cutting 5 acres in total ... the one you have will last another 20 years !!

dura to the max
08-08-2008, 10:58 PM
the local BB rep told me that all the BB mowers are home owners but thier built very heavily.

thats the best looking residential grade mower ive ever seen then. 7ga steel and 26hp, thats tough enough to last a homeowner cutting 5 acres a loooooooong time.

JKUCSMA
08-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Maybe it depends who the operator is,judging by what you saw with your friends mower,I mean stuff happens.

djflats
08-09-2008, 02:36 AM
I guess my thought is that I can't see spending to replace the 2004 48" Tank with a new one ... it doesn't make sense to me to spend the money when you're only cutting 5 acres in total ... the one you have will last another 20 years !!

I'm beginning to think the same thing. It's not a bad deal I have going. The dealer comes to pick it up, services it, and brings it back once a year for $100-$150. It only has 165 hours on it :). I just maintain it during the cutting season by greasing and lubing, etc.
I would like to get a suspension seat however. I'll have to look into that.

JKUCSMA
08-09-2008, 05:39 AM
I bought the suspension kit for around 210.00.

djflats
08-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Do you order the seats from the dealer?

JKUCSMA
08-10-2008, 05:37 AM
No the seat is like $500,so mine is a kit they make for 2004 tanks,it's the adj.spring suspension you put on your seat.Yes,I got it from my Cub Dealer,$220.00.

djflats
08-10-2008, 10:08 AM
No the seat is like $500,so mine is a kit they make for 2004 tanks,it's the adj.spring suspension you put on your seat.Yes,I got it from my Cub Dealer,$220.00.

Thanks JK. Did the suspension kit help considerably?

JKUCSMA
08-10-2008, 03:36 PM
It helps it the fact you bounce but don't bottom out,you can set it from soft to hard.

djflats
08-13-2008, 06:11 PM
It helps it the fact you bounce but don't bottom out,you can set it from soft to hard.
I ordered a kit today from the dealer. He's charging $200 for the kit and installation.

thinksnow
08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
It is the same as a M60 and i just bought a lesco today... But i gots a better deal i bought 2 and paid $5150.00 each.... Score.. Lesco is no longer lesco around these parts it is Called John Deere Landscapes

Good for you:drinkup: I would have liked that price. Oh well, I still love this mower. Did they give you that price since you bought two or is that what they're down to now?

jbannick18
08-13-2008, 09:16 PM
I was looking into getting a cub cadet . Tank 48 until the dealer wanted 7000 for it. I can get a 48 inch toro with the TF deck for 6600.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I was looking into getting a cub cadet . Tank 48 until the dealer wanted 7000 for it. I can get a 48 inch toro with the TF deck for 6600.

which is better ??

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-13-2008, 10:26 PM

which is better ??? what rate I think tank is 0%

mtnzone
08-13-2008, 10:34 PM
I have two 48" recons and so far so good. I wanted the tank but couldnt justify the added money and since the recon had exact same deck I went for them and they have been working flawlessly. I will say that the bagger system just sucks... but that is with most manufacturers..except walkers.. I dont bag much. or try not too.. but when I do I hate the bagger.... if you decide on the enforcer save yourself some money and go with their RZT home model as it is exactly the same as the enforcer. the enforcer just looks tougher in all actuality it isnt...

mtnzone
08-13-2008, 10:35 PM

do you like the suspension seat?? because the regular seat has been killing me...

djflats
08-13-2008, 10:46 PM
do you like the suspension seat?? because the regular seat has been killing me...
I'm hoping it helps out some. I use mine just here around the house and it was pretty smooth as for as the acreage but the city put water lines and sewer lines in and tore up the yard. They said they would fix the yards but guess what? They half-a$$ed fixed them and it's rough as heck in places. That slowed my cutting down considerably. I'm hoping the seat kit helps out some of the rough ride.

N.H.BOY
08-14-2008, 09:28 PM
I have got a TANK 54 and love it..2004 I believe and still going strong. The only drawback these have are the grass collection systems I had the three bagger system and it sucks azz so I bought the extra "fan motor" that hooks up with the end pully with a belt thinking that will help blow up the grass clippings better and after a full week of mowing with it on, off it came. I took it off because I was still stopping and unclogging the chute:hammerhead: But other than that Ill buy another one in a few years for sure...Its hard to find blades on line also..

mtnzone
08-14-2008, 09:54 PM
I have got a TANK 54 and love it..2004 I believe and still going strong. The only drawback these have are the grass collection systems I had the three bagger system and it sucks azz so I bought the extra "fan motor" that hooks up with the end pully with a belt thinking that will help blow up the grass clippings better and after a full week of mowing with it on, off it came. I took it off because I was still stopping and unclogging the chute:hammerhead: But other than that Ill buy another one in a few years for sure...Its hard to find blades on line also..

I know what you mean.. i dread bagging....lol....even with high lift baldes that three bagger sucks balls....didnt want to pay for their power bagger but now im thinking about it.... this past week has been hell wit this rain..... and most definitely hard to find blades online.. I go direct to cub commercial...

Mowingman
08-14-2008, 10:10 PM
As a former dealer for Cub, I will tell you that the ENTIRE Cub line of equipment is rapidly turning to trash. Even the Tanks arrived at our store falling apart in the packing crates. Anyone who buys a Cub of any type is going to be lucky to get one that will not be troublesome.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-14-2008, 10:15 PM
As a former dealer for Cub, I will tell you that the ENTIRE Cub line of equipment is rapidly turning to trash. Even the Tanks arrived at our store falling apart in the packing crates. Anyone who buys a Cub of any type is going to be lucky to get one that will not be troublesome.

why a former dealer? why falling apart?*trucewhiteflag*

mtnzone
08-14-2008, 10:23 PM
hhhhmmmmm funny.....my 3 year rzt non commercial with over 300 hours ....no problems..... my commercial walk behind......no probloems.. my two recons with over 150 hours. no problem...... the guys guys fight over the non commercial 33" .. and it also has had no problems.........hmmmmmmm

mtnzone
08-14-2008, 10:26 PM

wow thats weird as the cub dealer up our way raves about them and since I do some work for them i can say first hand we certainly havent seen ANY TANKS falling apart in the crates..... EVER....for that matter any of the cubs falling apart in delivery...

Mowingman
08-14-2008, 10:27 PM
We did not want to have our reputation ruined by selling a line of equipment that falls apart/breaks down on a regular basis. The reason their stuff falls apart, is due to no quality control at the factory. All kinds of bolts would fall out on new machines. Fittings were either not greased at the factory, or they would use a whole tube of grease on one fitting and have gobs everywhere.
Cub/MTD is focusing on cheap equipment slapped together, to be sold at the big box stores. Their whole mentality at the factory is geared to that now. A "well built, quality product", are not words anyone at the factory uses nowadays.
I can not warn people here enough. Do not think you will get a long lasting, high quality machine from Cub now. Those days are gone.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-14-2008, 10:34 PM
i dont belive the tank is built at the mtd /cub factor...
i have a 2004 with 900 hour no problems ,just the bagging is a pain ..... was thinking about a new one but i dont know if the bagging is any better.............

dura to the max
08-14-2008, 10:35 PM
some people love these mowers. but the crap ya'll are talking about doesnt surprise me much, it is MTD after all...

djflats
08-14-2008, 10:36 PM
i dont belive the tank is built at the mtd /cub factor...
i have a 2004 with 900 hour no problems ,just the bagging is a pain ..... was thinking about a new one but i dont know if the bagging is any better.............
My 2004 has been just fine too. No problems. I guess I just got lucky along with you JAG.

mtnzone
08-14-2008, 10:38 PM
We did not want to have our reputation ruined by selling a line of equipment that falls apart/breaks down on a regular basis. The reason their stuff falls apart, is due to no quality control at the factory. All kinds of bolts would fall out on new machines. Fittings were either not greased at the factory, or they would use a whole tube of grease on one fitting and have gobs everywhere.
Cub/MTD is focusing on cheap equipment slapped together, to be sold at the big box stores. Their whole mentality at the factory is geared to that now. A "well built, quality product", are not words anyone at the factory uses nowadays.
I can not warn people here enough. Do not think you will get a long lasting, high quality machine from Cub now. Those days are gone.

Now you sound like a jaded broken record.............maybe their non commercial mowers...... maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but mine have been fantastic....their commercial machines have been even better........

So i guess the same thing can be said about deere now too since they are in every box store..

What about the best chain saw in the world.... Huski...???

I guess echo sucks too huh??

Mowingman
08-14-2008, 10:40 PM
You have experience with 3 or 4 Cub machines. I have experience with 3 or 4 HUNDRED Cub machines. I know what I am talking about. I am glad yours are working well. However, you also have very few hours on yours. Let us know how they are doing at 1000hrs.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-14-2008, 10:42 PM
some people love these mowers. but the crap ya'll are talking about doesnt surprise me much, it is MTD after all...

its not mtd , you ever used one? :hammerhead:

mtnzone
08-14-2008, 10:44 PM
You have experience with 3 or 4 Cub machines. I have experience with 3 or 4 HUNDRED Cub machines. I know what I am talking about. I am glad yours are working well. However, you also have very few hours on yours. Let us know how they are doing at 1000hrs.

1,000 hahahahahaha hopefully Im on to another cub by then...... 1,000 hours.... some one elses problem after 500.... 1,ooo who keeps their machines that long???Ive never kept a mower for that long... cubex mark, scag.. none...trade them in with value........

And remember I said I do work at a garage that sells cub, among others...while there are problems no more so than many others out their that we see..are they perfect hell no.but walkers arent perfect either.......thats doesnt make me an expert by any means... i only do work there from time to time.. when the new machines come in and they need hand...ao they are backed up...

dura to the max
08-14-2008, 10:45 PM
i havent, and i was not attacking the mower, i said i knew of some people that love them, and i was commenting on mowingman's post.

and from what i have seen on the website it is MTD, if it is not someone please correct me.

dura to the max
08-14-2008, 10:48 PM
i havent, and i was not attacking the mower, i said i knew of some people that love them, and i was commenting on mowingman's post.

and from what i have seen on the website it is MTD, if it is not someone please correct me.

this was in response to J.A.G LAWNCARE's post fyi.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-14-2008, 10:49 PM
owned by mtd , differernt name and different factor then mtd junk.....

Mowingman
08-14-2008, 10:54 PM
You know, when we took on Cub, we had high hopes that we could do well with them. But I am telling you the truth, we received nothing but poorly built, troublesome machines from them. Then, we could never get parts orders filled on a timely basis. It took over 2 months to get some parts like blades and filters.
We also had many fights over warranty claims. Here is one example: You are familiar with the cheap drive cap, that holds the swivel caster assy. onto the front arm of a 21" Cub mower. Well, that cap fell off of one and at the end of a row, when the owner lifted the mower slightly to turn it, the whole caster wheel assy. fell off and went under the mower. Of course, it wrecked the blade and bent the crankshaft. Cub said that could not happen and would only warranty the drive cap. We gave the owner a new machine and junked his damaged one. We argued with Cub for a month and finally gave up. I told Cub we would get our money out of them one way or another, and a whole lot more for all the aggrevation they caused. And we did. That was pertty typical of how Cub treated us on valid warranty claims.
I have no love for Cub, at all.

1,000 hahahahahaha hopefully Im on to another cub by then...... 1,000 hours.... some one elses problem after 500.... 1,ooo who keeps their machines that long???

And remember I said I do work at a garage that sells cub, among others...while there are problems no more so than many others out their that we see..are they perfect hell no.but walkers arent perfect either.......

djflats
08-14-2008, 10:56 PM
So for my M48 has been fine but as I mentioned before, I just use it here on my property. I have to admit, I don't see many lawn services using them around here though. Most of the ztr's I see lawn services using are Hustlers and Exmarks. Some Yazoo-kees which I have no clue how they are. They look a little like an Exmark.

jbannick18
08-14-2008, 11:08 PM
1,000 hahahahahaha hopefully Im on to another cub by then...... 1,000 hours.... some one elses problem after 500.... 1,ooo who keeps their machines that long???Ive never kept a mower for that long... cubex mark, scag.. none...trade them in with value........

And remember I said I do work at a garage that sells cub, among others...while there are problems no more so than many others out their that we see..are they perfect hell no.but walkers arent perfect either.......thats doesnt make me an expert by any means... i only do work there from time to time.. when the new machines come in and they need hand...ao they are backed up...

Why wouldn't you keep a mower that has 500 hours or even 1000 hours if it's working properly. It doesn't make sense to go buy another for $7,000 when you have one that works.