PDA

View Full Version : looking for ideas

Mark B
08-07-2008, 11:37 PM
WOW I finally posted a picture. Yippie...

Ok so here is a house I looked at today. I would like some ideas on uplighting the 4 post on the middle deck. I can get a wire to each post. Also i'm thinking abut lighting the upper deck from the gutters. The only thing i'm worried about is that the roof would be to close to the upper deck, so the light would be to much/strong to be able to enjoy.

It would be nice IF all the post were lined up so I could use those funky lights where the go up and down.

I would also like to think about putting some downlights under the post to light up the ground level and pool area.

I can't do anything with the lower level cause concrete is already there. I'm going to light the palms, and the retaining wall. This would be my first time lighting from gutters and stuff.

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc348/sleepyheadnc/lewishouse-1.jpg

Mark B
08-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Talking about getting no input.

NightScenes
08-10-2008, 12:42 PM
I would suggest looking more into down lighting on this project.

Mark B
08-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Ok can you go into some more detail? Instead of trying to light up the post, light up the bottom post. I don't think I can get a wire to light up the middle post from the top.

NightScenes
08-10-2008, 02:03 PM
You can get wire anywhere you want really. I3 Planters has some track in many different colors that allow you to hide your wires very well. You might consider using the Kichler 15093WHT MR16 down light or the Unique Comet. Use a frosted lens and at least a 36% beam to give good coverage on the deck and lower area. I would even use down lighting under the soffets on the upper section.

David Gretzmier
08-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I like paul's suggestion. I have just begun using wire channel to get wires to places on structure that I can't pull wires through walls. I also have to have a master electrician weiither do it or sign off on it, as the code in arkansas seems to indicate electricians should be the only ones putting "non signal" electricity in or on structure.

Check at your local Lowes, they have that channel trim for around a buck a foot and it comes in 5 foot strips. use speaker wire or solid stranded wire when touching structure, as the insulation on standard low voltage is rated to 60C not code rated to 90C.

James can probably elaborate more on this.

Mark B
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I have seen the channel you are talking about. I just have never thought about using it for LVL. I will have to give this some thought. Thanks.

Chris J
08-10-2008, 09:24 PM
I like paul's suggestion. I have just begun using wire channel to get wires to places on structure that I can't pull wires through walls. I also have to have a master electrician weiither do it or sign off on it, as the code in arkansas seems to indicate electricians should be the only ones putting "non signal" electricity in or on structure.

Check at your local Lowes, they have that channel trim for around a buck a foot and it comes in 5 foot strips. use speaker wire or solid stranded wire when touching structure, as the insulation on standard low voltage is rated to 60C not code rated to 90C.

James can probably elaborate more on this.

If your going to go through the trouble of using different wire and such to comply with NEC, then you probably need to consider the fill charts as well. There are limits to the amount of wire you can put in conduit, and I don't think this "channel" stuff is even acceptable (or not in the smaller increments anyway). The point is, if you're going to be NEC driven, that's a good thing. Just make sure you're doing it all within code. Doing the wire by code, but then putting it into an unacceptable conduit will just defeat your purpose.

Pro-Scapes
08-11-2008, 12:26 AM
need better pics from up close to determine what I would do. I sould definatly try to put some lightolier 2000lvr's in the sofit (ask your electrician) with slotted trims. You would be hard pressed to get some glare of this with thoes.

deck lights on the inside of the upper rails and middle level rails. Are there already recessed lights in the ceiling of that middle deck ?

This is definatly one to see at night then fill in the blanks on it.

Mark B
08-11-2008, 07:53 AM
There is some recessed lighting on the middle deck already. AS far as deck lighting would be nice. But the rails are skinny metal rails. Even with the channel I don't think there would be away to pull that off.

AS far as down lighting I think I could get some lights on the upper level point down. Then I could use the gutters for the upper level. The bad part is on the ground level the post stop about 4' above the ground. They go into like a rock colunm. I will try to get a closer picture.

Pro-Scapes
08-11-2008, 09:28 AM
why is that a bad part about the rock ? Is it surrounded by concrete ?

Time and money and you can get a wire anywhere you want.

If you downlight from the high sofits I would try to use a recessed fixture. It will really look much cleaner. If you use the slooted trim rings people will be hard pressed to find where the light is coming from.

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-11-2008, 10:06 AM
how can anyone give input on thi9s when we dont know what the client wants, why are you lighting it? are you on the street or in a lake when you took the picture? area? reading light? aesthetics? safety? What is the area used for? And why weren't you invloved when they built the place? It looks new.

Mark B
08-11-2008, 04:24 PM
why is that a bad part about the rock ? Is it surrounded by concrete ?

Well the rocks are surrounded by concrete, then the rocks stop about 5ft up with a cap stone over the rock facing then the post going through the middle. I'm afraid that with the white capstone might make a hot spot if I downlight the post on the lower level.

"how can anyone give input on thi9s when we dont know what the client wants, why are you lighting it? "

The client wants his new home lite up. He just dropped 1.5ish for his new home. So now he wants to show it off at night. They do entertain as well.

"are you on the street or in a lake when you took the picture?"

I was at the lake when I took the picture.

"What is the area used for?"

The area is used for entertaining. (This is a young cpl about 32ish) Along with "area? reading light? aesthetics? safety?"

"And why weren't you invloved when they built the place? It looks new. "

With respect.. Have you never got a call after a person just got the CO? They never thought about lighitng until 1 of my customers told them he needs some lighting. Yes the home is new.

JoeyD
08-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Mark, per our conversation. Here is the Nova and ApolloStar in concrete!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/ApplicationShots003.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/ApplicationShots001.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/ApplicationShots007.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/ApplicationShots006.jpg