PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait after giving quote?

scenicexcellence
08-08-2008, 01:20 AM
Ok many people probably have different opinions on this.

Also different cases probably would take longer for a reply.

I quoted out a big job for me worth $46,550 not sure exactly when they want it done.

it was for retaining walls and patios.

I am not sure how long i should wait till i call them to follow up on the quote. i know some people probably think well if they don't call you they are not interested. but i think if i don't call them then they will think i don't care about doing it for them.

So my question is how long should i wait to contact them to try to get a answer or somewhat of a response out of them? the job is quote as stated above for $46550 what would you do and how would you go about contacting them to find out if they are gettting you to do it?

hickslawns
08-08-2008, 03:44 AM
On jobs this big I follow up the next week with "Any questions? What are your thoughts on this project? We are busy and I need to schedule you in for this size job, so just doing a follow up?" etc etc etc Just me.

Liquidfast
08-09-2008, 05:45 PM
On jobs this big I follow up the next week with "Any questions? What are your thoughts on this project? We are busy and I need to schedule you in for this size job, so just doing a follow up?" etc etc etc Just me.

Hicks...u have a great site. Almost as good as mine j/k. I love the part on your site that says "And don't forget to blow off the driveway and beds before we leave.'

For some dumb reason, I got a kick outta that. Almost like telling them to do it themselves. Very impressed with your site!

DVS Hardscaper
08-09-2008, 06:29 PM
I usually wait about a week.

But people are funny, so it also depends on conversations that we may have had.

One example: I recently priced a patio. The man is an engineer with his PHD. They live in a nice house and he has methodlically requested the proposal be a certain way. I met with them, designed, submitted a proposal, did revisions per their request, and spoke with him on the phone at length. He told me they will make a decision this last wednesday. I have not heard back from them, However, they have not moved very fast, so I would not be surprised if they haven't made a decision yet.

Well, based on this mans education, and based on our conversations - I know that he has his way of living his life. He is successful and educated. If he wants us to fo the work - there is no doubt in my mind that he is capable of calling me. So I'm not going to bother him.

Again, i usually do follow up calls about a week later and if I don't hear back from them after the initial follow up call - sometimes every 72 hrs afterwards.

PerfiCut L&L
08-10-2008, 08:26 PM
I give a week. By that time they have either decided to wait on getting the project done, or they are in the midst of getting more estimates. Either way, a week works for us.

I'll follow up about a week after that if they have not decided or were still waiting on additional estimates. Otherwise, two calls is all they get.

PatriotLandscape
08-11-2008, 05:02 PM
did you mail it or present it to them?

I always present them regardless of size. What was your feeling when you left? were you in their budget? are there any other bids?

I would call after 48 hours then wait another 72 and ask if they would like to get back together to answer any questions or mark the job out on the lawn.

don't tell them that you "need" to schedule the work but let them know how excited you were to present the proposal and would love to do the work to beautify their property.

If it has been more than 4 days you will start to lose them. Keep them as interested in the project as you are.

On most jobs this size you should have them close to sold before you present the proposal. Let them know the price. Let them feel the product. Meet with them at the supplier.

scenicexcellence
08-11-2008, 11:47 PM
It doesn't seem like they are too interested i have called no answer then called next day no answer left message. Then i emailed that night no reply this was on saturday.

02DURAMAX
08-14-2008, 04:16 AM
I wait about a week before i call back.

forestfireguy
08-14-2008, 10:37 AM
I have found remarkable success when at the presentation I explain our back log to them, if they are serious they are fully informed and will likely make their decision sooner rather than later knowing that delays could push their start date back a month or more depending on what pending proposals come in while they are considering things. Also if you get a call back and request for a second meeting or revisions, dont hesitate to ask for a deposit, dont pressure them, its kind of an aquired skill ask but not be pushy, which will turn some people off immediately, it'll give others the idea you are desperate for their work. so again, just like everything else in life you gotta read people to get the desired result.

scenicexcellence
08-14-2008, 02:15 PM
yeah i just don't think they are interested but i appreciate the help thanks guys maybe people should keep adding to this, so that others have something to go by.

Msteele
08-16-2008, 12:55 AM
if they are serious they are fully informed and will likely make their decision sooner rather than later knowing that delays could push their start date back a month or more depending on what pending proposals come in while they are considering things.

I usally try to appear flexable give customers plenty of time to decide and not be pushy, but throwing out the idea to explain your back log I think is a good idea. I think I am going to tweak my pitch a little.

On second thought Im just going to start giving estimates then just show up the next day and start the project regardless of how any meetings may go.

scenicexcellence
08-16-2008, 01:52 AM
lol wish that would work i would have million in work a year lol

PatriotLandscape
08-16-2008, 09:55 PM
I usally try to appear flexable give customers plenty of time to decide and not be pushy, but throwing out the idea to explain your back log I think is a good idea. I think I am going to tweak my pitch a little.

On second thought Im just going to start giving estimates then just show up the next day and start the project regardless of how any meetings may go.

Why wait to give estimates. I mean everyone needs a patio right? just start installing one at any home you feel needs it.

scenicexcellence
08-16-2008, 11:09 PM
yeah i would do this only if i knew i would get paid. lol. well i am buying a new laptop in the next few days and telling the customer for the quote and for the pictures they need me to come over and show them right from the laptop, this way they cannot use my design for anybody to wuote from. i don't mind people getting their other quotes but i mean for me to spend 5 hours to make the design and then they quote it and get it is a real piss off.

B & B Yardscape
08-17-2008, 12:53 AM
this year I give them a week and then email them if I don't hear. economy is tuff around here. Everyone wants a quote and when you give it to them they freak out and never call you back. $46K is a huge job for anyone. I don't have that kind of money laying around for landscape.

People see these great landscapes being done on HGTV in a weekend for $3,000 and they think they can have it also. People think they want a new deck and then get a quote. After than they go do the Home Depot and see the cost of wood and think they can do it their self.

Give it a week, email or call, if you don't hear, let it go and move on to the next one.