PDA

View Full Version : Grass hoppers

SproulsLawnCare
08-08-2008, 02:52 AM
Why is it that Grasshopper mowers are very seldom discussed on this sight? I very seldom here anything good or bad about them. Are the dealers that far and few between to be popular? Are they that bad that NO one owns them? From what I have seen they seems to be a well made machine with several available attachments that should make them a very verital machine to own! Personally, I prefer JD, but I have been looking at the Grasshoppers from time to time.They seem to me to be the only REAL solid front mount on the market unless if you want to go into the huge ones like JD's 1400's and the 1600 turbo wide area mowers. What is ya'lls take on the Grasshoppers?

TomberLawn
08-08-2008, 08:03 AM
There are a few guys on here running Grasshoppers. I really like the front mounts, but I don't see many of them, probably because of price. The attachments are expensive, like a 60" Aeravator is over $4000 I think. I'd really like to demo one sometime, but it'll be a while before I buy another mower since I just got my Ferris paid off. They look like very durable machines.

davidcalhoun
08-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Grasshoppers do get talked about from time to time. Just do a search. The decks also get praise by most who have used them.

Front mount ZTRs do not get as much play as they once did do to professionals opting for the midmount ZTRs.

Both styles have their advantages - it has been discussed here before.

Grasshopper at least did adjust to the market by adding midmounts to their lineup.

There are several other manufacturers of FULL SIZE frontmount mowers. For example, Exmark makes the FrontRunner. Gravely and Woods also make frontmount style ZTRs.

Mike Blevins
08-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Dealer just down the road. I demoed one this past fall and liked it alot. If Ididn't buy my Tiger I probably would get the Grasshopper. Very comfortable mowers. Did leaves very well. Controls very different than the Scags I was used to. But all around great solid machines. And there is a bunch of attachments for them. :usflag:

Ford850
08-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I got a Grasshopper frontmount this year and it works well for me. When researching mowers they seemed to be a no-nonsense high quality choice with excellent reviews. I was lucky that my local GH dealer is also good. Grasshoppers are very heavy duty without getting carried away with excess bulk, and have a total weight below many others. They have one of the lightest lines of diesel models avaliable. I need the front mount, but it would not fit on some of the smaller areas others have to mow. The quality of the cut was the best of those I demo'd, as was the overall performance on hills etc. There are a lot of brands and styles out there, and you should test several to make an educated choice.

SproulsLawnCare
08-08-2008, 11:51 AM
There are several other manufacturers of FULL SIZE front mount mowers. For example, Exmark makes the FrontRunner. Gravely and Woods also make frontmount style ZTRs.

I demo'd the front runner, and I felt like it rattled like bucket of bolts. The ride wasn't too bad though. I had the demo for the day, but I put it right back on the trailer and finished the day with my own mower. Looks to me like the Grasshopper wouldn't be this way.

I need the front mount, but it would not fit on some of the smaller areas others have to mow. .

What are you using the front mount for that makes it better than the mid mount. Just trying to get an idea since I have never used one other than a demo. I liked teh way that it handled, but it seemed too long of a machine to me.

Ford850
08-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I demo'd the front runner, and I felt like it rattled like bucket of bolts. The ride wasn't too bad though. I had the demo for the day, but I put it right back on the trailer and finished the day with my own mower. Looks to me like the Grasshopper wouldn't be this way.

What are you using the front mount for that makes it better than the mid mount. Just trying to get an idea since I have never used one other than a demo. I liked teh way that it handled, but it seemed too long of a machine to me.
Keep in mind I am a homeowner but mow between 4 - 7 acres weekly. You are correct about the handling of them. They are longer but once you get used to them it makes no difference. There are a few tricks to understand which helps with the handling too. Several things about the front mount proved better to me than the mids while testing many.
1)More ability to trim. I have over 50 trees and a lot of mulched beds. The deck hangs outside the left wheel track more which allows me 100% mowing with no trimming afterwards. 2)The deck follows the lawn contours better with much less scalping. I added the floatation bushings to the GH which allows some twisting of the deck and that helps even more. 3)Handled better on my hills and was the smoothest ride.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
08-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Grasshoppers are targeted to home owners like equine farms most cutters here are scag and exmark.....

mississippiturf
08-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Just returned from a vacation from Mississippi to Lousianna, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and back to Mississippi. I noticed a that the majority of the zero-turns either on trailers or mowing were Grasshoppers! Next was Scag then Exmark. We went past a small John Deere dealer in Lousianna and we saw a couple of new Grasshoppers out front!

Mowingman
08-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I used Grasshoppers for my mowing business for many years. Then, I opened a store and was a dealer for them until I sold out. Grasshoppers are the primary mower used by towns and schools around here. They run for many years with very few problems. Grasshopper just does not do a lot of advertising, and there is not a lot of hype about them. They sell huge numbers worldwide every year. They have an excellent engineering staff, and a highly automated, high tech plant.
It is very common to see Grasshoppers running good that are 20 years old. And, all the parts are still readily available.
We sold most of our Grasshoppers by word of mouth. One guy would buy one. He would show it to his neighbors, then all of them would be in buying Grasshoppers.
We also sold many midmounts to the local commercial cutters. Grasshopper was also the pioneer in using diesels on ZTR's.

Jason Rose
08-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Most machines you see on here being talked about at great lengths are from COMPLAINTS about the machines. Grasshopper owners seem to be a quiet group, there's not much to complain about ever... Iv'e never seen a post on here from a disgruntled grasshopper owner!

I have a midmount 227-61" machine, 610 hours now and haven't had to do anything to it other than filters and a few belts, oh, and front wheel bearings because I was a bit lax on the grease... Other than that it's a rock solid machine that cuts great day after day. I have more complaints about the Kohler engine than anything. ( I just shut it off 5 minutes ago, it's 90 degrees, it shouldn't take 45 seconds of cranking to get it to fire every time!!!)

Personally I'm not a fan of the front mounts. They have their place, but I don't feel like commercial lawncare is it. They just take up a LOT of room on a trailer and are often too large to maneuver in most lawns. They don't do hills well either. Unless you want attachments a midmount is the way to go.

KS_Grasscutter
08-09-2008, 01:11 AM
I will probably buy a 223/52 next spring. Almost bought one a few weeks ago but thought I may as well wait till spring, instead of make payments on it all winter. Still trying to decide if I want a 223 or a 723 though.

M&M Mowing
08-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Around here in Bowling Green KY it is 10 G-Hoppers to every other mower out there. Alot of guys use them, as did I for 1 year before switching to Gravely. The 721D is the most popular, if your a commerical cutter in this area you have either got one or have had one at some point. A buch of my friends have the 227 mid mounts that are great machines, pretty durable except some of the engine problems they have had. Great mower but they are not Kawie powered.

SproulsLawnCare
08-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Most machines you see on here being talked about at great lengths are from COMPLAINTS about the machines. Grasshopper owners seem to be a quiet group, there's not much to complain about ever... Iv'e never seen a post on here from a disgruntled grasshopper owner!

This seems to say a lot about them!

Jason Rose
08-09-2008, 09:08 AM
the 227 mid mounts that are great machines, pretty durable except some of the engine problems they have had. Great mower but they are not Kawie powered.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this arguement!

Though I read a LOT on here about Kawasaki problems as well... Though I've never had a bad one. Just like a Honda, all the Kaws I've had have always ran great and STARTED so effortlessly. Also never had one that even used oil, my little 11hp on my small Walker dosn't even use oil at 1,100 hours. Can't say that for ANY of the Kohlers that use oil from day one.

well I guess they do offer the 29hp and 35hp Briggs "big block" engines now... And all the diesel options, but a diesel on a midmount (or the kubota gas) dosn't leave any room on the machine for a 6'4" operator!

Turf Dawg
08-09-2008, 10:54 AM
I will probably buy a 223/52 next spring. Almost bought one a few weeks ago but thought I may as well wait till spring, instead of make payments on it all winter. Still trying to decide if I want a 223 or a 723 though.

I have a 223/52 [for sale] that is great most of the time, but for the rain season I sure wish I would have got the 227/52. Your needs may be different but I feel the 23 is alittle underpowered and the 27 would work better for you. I'm sure not trying to tell you what to do but just wanted to share my thoughts.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
08-09-2008, 10:58 AM
100 % right,i had the 220 52 it was so underpowered.........

Jason Rose
08-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I have a 223/52 [for sale] that is great most of the time, but for the rain season I sure wish I would have got the 227/52. Your needs may be different but I feel the 23 is alittle underpowered and the 27 would work better for you. I'm sure not trying to tell you what to do but just wanted to share my thoughts.

100 % right,i had the 220 52 it was so underpowered.........

Wow... Would you call my dealer that sold me my 227-61" and tell him this??? This is the same guy that SWEARS that the 223 is more than enough for even the 61" deck and has told me to my face that I'm an idiot for thinking my 27hp is underpowered. Yes, the majority of the time it does great, but when I need the ponies is lays down! Something in how the grasshoppers are designed, either the belt routing, the size of the hydro pumps, or maybe something else? makes them horsepower HOGS. I'm speaking of the midmounts only though. I've ran a 723 61" frontmount with the blower/catcher and it never even bogged down! Suprised the heck out of me, I didn't think the 23hp would even spin the blades, let alone actually propel the machine and cut grass.

KS_Grasscutter
08-09-2008, 12:08 PM
I have a 223/52 [for sale] .

How many hours? How much do you want for it?

and has told me to my face that I'm an idiot for thinking my 27hp is underpowered.

Yea, he basically told me the same thing about you lol.

davidcentralflorida
08-09-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone in this arguement!

Though I read a LOT on here about Kawasaki problems as well... Though I've never had a bad one. Just like a Honda, all the Kaws I've had have always ran great and STARTED so effortlessly. Also never had one that even used oil, my little 11hp on my small Walker dosn't even use oil at 1,100 hours. Can't say that for ANY of the Kohlers that use oil from day one.

well I guess they do offer the 29hp and 35hp Briggs "big block" engines now... And all the diesel options, but a diesel on a midmount (or the kubota gas) dosn't leave any room on the machine for a 6'4" operator!

i have a 329 w/ kubota gas. its bigger than the 227 i had before it. im 6'6", the only problem i had was the stix, i bought a set of bigger ones, they were $50 ish. since iv been very comfortable

Jason Rose
08-09-2008, 03:53 PM
i have a 329 w/ kubota gas. its bigger than the 227 i had before it. im 6'6", the only problem i had was the stix, i bought a set of bigger ones, they were $50 ish. since iv been very comfortable

is it actually longer lengthwise, the whole machine, or is there just more legroom with the added foot pan they put on the front? I've never got to sit on one (a liquid cooled model) other than several years back at a show. Maybe they have changed things since then, but I didn't fit at all, felt like my knees were in my chest, just uncomfortable feeling.

I have the extended levers on my 227, but I also have the suspension seat (a must have!) and the pretty much have to be used with the susp. seat.

I'll probably be trading up next summer and would love to go with the 329, if I can actually demo THAT machine...

davidcentralflorida
08-09-2008, 10:41 PM
by pan i mean the cover over the deck belt. the seat is the same, the designers put that extra foot rest out front because the pan is shorter. i ride with my heals on the pan but my foot actually rests on the extra part. like i said the only thing uncomfortable was the levers.
now mine has a weight kit on the front, i use it for an extra step, when getting on and off. the most noticable difference between the 227 and 329, is the hydro pumps, the 227 has t-10s the 329 has t-20s it feels so much stronger. its like a ford ranger vs a f250
im very happy with mine, godd luck david
yes its a little longer, 11 inchs i think, its on the back end, it will take a very short while to get use to it being back there