PDA

View Full Version : CAT 299C Pics

qps
08-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Ask and thou shall receive...the 289 wasn't around but a Brand new 299 was..

qps
08-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Look what Dozerman traded in on a new CAT....:weightlifter:

ksss
08-08-2008, 10:31 AM

You finally broke him down.:clapping:

When is the Demo of the Series 3 machine happening Tim. I have 50 pounds of buffulo wings, a keg of beer, and a limo full of dancing girls (all dressed in Power Tan thongs of course) on call awaiting the location of the demo in Indy.

ksss
08-08-2008, 12:07 PM
The final drives looked larger in the prereleased photos we saw this Spring. Was I imagining things? Does anyone know, is that a Berco track system or did CAT build it from scratch?

bobcat_ron
08-08-2008, 12:42 PM
It's Cat's system, look at a D-6 highdrive and look closely at the leading roller and idlers, same system, just scaled down. Berco might be supplying the rollers and idlers.

Trust me, there is going to be a flood of trade in Deere, Case and Bobcat's hitting dealer's yards when this Cat CTL promotion really picks up steam, even my local Cat Rental people didn't know they were working on one yet.

One question, is there any grease fittings for the torsion axles?

nobagger
08-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Sweet looking machine! Some day,lol

Scag48
08-08-2008, 02:55 PM
That machine is going to munch just about anything. Time will tell, but I wouldn't hesitate to say I think Cat will finally get something right, or at least offer a badass alternative to the nay-sayers of the ASV undercarriage.

jmf
08-08-2008, 03:11 PM
It just seems to me that the ride goes south with the advent of the iron shoes. Quite a departure from the multi-terrain concept.

jmf

Scag48
08-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Iron shoes? Where do you see steel pads on that machine? Looks like rubber like every other CTL out there.

Gravel Rat
08-08-2008, 03:20 PM
I think with the mini machine market picking up and people are getting away from larger machines Cat is trying to build a better tracked skid steer.

A wheeled skid is almost useless as bits on a board. A mini excavator and a skid steer can do more work than a rubber tired backhoe when working in confined areas.

How are you supposed to take a wheeled skid into a place where a excavator has crawled into. Your either in soft ground or its muddy or the ground is just too uneven for a wheeled machine can go.

In B.C. large track loaders stopped being used in the early 80s I don't think Finnings has sold a trackloader in B.C. for decades.

You will probably see the mines buy a tracked skid steer like the 299 for cleaning out under conveyors. You get spillage off the conveyors and it builds up that has to be cleaned up. A 980 988 can't fit or a rubber tired backhoe.

jmf
08-08-2008, 03:45 PM
The undercarriage looks like iron to me. My ASV has rubber-torsion and rubber wheel suspension system. The rubber tracks will be of little consequence when it comes to ride.

jmf

Iron shoes? Where do you see steel pads on that machine? Looks like rubber like every other CTL out there.

Bleed Green
08-08-2008, 04:35 PM
The undercarriage looks to be iron but the tracks are def rubber

Scag48
08-08-2008, 04:40 PM
The undercarriage looks like iron to me. My ASV has rubber-torsion and rubber wheel suspension system. The rubber tracks will be of little consequence when it comes to ride.

jmf

I suppose I misunderstood what you meant, but you said iron shoes, not undercarriage. There is still a small amount of suspension built into this new undercarriage. The rubber wheels on ASV undercarriages aren't related to ride quality, they're built of super hard rubber with basically no rebounding qualities. ASV undercarriages derive the suspension abilities from the torsion bars, the rollers have no part in the smooth ride.

Bleed Green
08-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Is there an option to put steel tracks on these new cat CTL's?

Scag48
08-08-2008, 04:49 PM

I'm going to stand out on a limb and say yes, maybe from Cat, maybe not. If this actually is a Berco undercarriage, there shouldn't be any issues with slapping some steel track on this bad boy. Maybe somebody can refresh my memory a little, the SuperTrak machine that uses a 287B as the carrier, isn't that a Berco undercarriage? If my memory serves me correctly, it is, and it does run steel tracks. I think the only issue is finding the tracks, I don't think the undercarriage would have any problem running them.

Another thought I'm having is if McLaren Industries would build hybrid tracks for CTL's like they do for mini excavators. Same concept, just a little wider is all.

bobcat_ron
08-08-2008, 06:14 PM
The Supertrak is a complete gut-out-swap-in deal, it weighs over 12,000 lbs and all the rollers and sprockets are meant for steel, if you had to put steel tracks on these CTL's or any other brand, new idlers and rollers would be needed as the current ones will just slip off the track chain. Some mini excavators can have their tracks swapped out for steel, but their idlers and rollers are all square single flanged designs.
But the Supertrak is also a 100+hp unit as it needs more power to move it's weight and hydraulic power for the mulcher head.

There was a thread on HEF about a dude that wanted to put steel tracks on his T300, but after all the costs of machining and ordering new rollers were added up, rubber was still cheaper and easier on the machine.

qps
08-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Yes, I was told the torsion axle's have grease fittings along with the track adjustment..no nut or shaft to adjust on this one, also was told undercarriage is similar to a D3 dozer...For a limo of dancers with power tan thongs, 50 lbs of wings and a keg...I would jump ship tomm. and trade in everything I owned to power tan...this sales guys just don't know how to push the right buttons...on the demo...dunno...sales guy disappeared when I wouldn't loan them my 297C for there field day....oh well....typical local CASE response....

Bleed Green
08-08-2008, 11:15 PM
so when is the information on the cat ctl's going to be on the cat website. I figured if info was online it would be on the cat website.

dozerman21
08-08-2008, 11:24 PM

Nice one!:clapping:

That U/C looks similar to the Deere... are they Bridgestone tracks with Berco rollers and idlers?

I guess I'll have to line up the demo on the Case. I'll let QPS snag one of those new Cat CTL's... unless Cat is giving away free boots again to try a demo (I could trade them back to QPS for his share of the wings and beer. We all know they aren't any good for real dirtwork anyway!:cool2:)

KSSS- There is a local Hooters that will cover all the bases for your donation. I will gladly get some pics of QPS while sitting in the Case, HOWEVER, I'm afraid that the giant grin on his face from running the machine will not fit in the cab. OROPS maybe?:laugh::drinkup:

02DURAMAX
08-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Thats is awesome!!..How many HP???

BrandonV
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM
my only question is how much is this going to cost me. We are do a lot of rock work (boulders not pebbles) and we've don't a ton of damage to our new set of tracks on the 287b. I would like to have on of each I guess because the mtl is superior in all things digging and climbing, but if the work in these rocky conditions is going to continue I'm going to need something that doesn't get torn up by my less than careful driver. but i think i need a mini-x more, so much to buy so little $ to buy it with.

superdigger
08-09-2008, 11:57 AM
What happened to the asv u/c? This looks different, did cat redesign the uc/ on these machines?

hansondirtman
08-09-2008, 12:48 PM
my only question is how much is this going to cost me. We are do a lot of rock work (boulders not pebbles) and we've don't a ton of damage to our new set of tracks on the 287b. I would like to have on of each I guess because the mtl is superior in all things digging and climbing, but if the work in these rocky conditions is going to continue I'm going to need something that doesn't get torn up by my less than careful driver. but i think i need a mini-x more, so much to buy so little $ to buy it with.

I don't think the new tracks will last longer. The wheels might though.

BrandonV
08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
What happened to the asv u/c? This looks different, did cat redesign the uc/ on these machines?

they're adding to the line, so you have a choice of either product from cat

Digdeep
08-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Thats is awesome!!..How many HP???

Same as sthe 297C (same machine- different undercarriage)- 90net hp, 3.3L Mitsubishi, 217lb ft torque.

BIGBEN2004
08-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I think the super high price Cat will probably put on these things will keep them on the lot longer then people would think. I am sure they will be nice but how much are you willing to spend on a machine that is still a skid loader? They still have a short life span compared to larger machines and a high repair cost. I am sure they will sell no doubt but not as fast as Cat would like to hope. Also on a side note I wish they had made the top of the undercarriage sloped and not flat so dirt would fall off more while running the machine.

bobcat_ron
08-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I think the super high price Cat will probably put on these things will keep them on the lot longer then people would think. I am sure they will be nice but how much are you willing to spend on a machine that is still a skid loader? They still have a short life span compared to larger machines and a high repair cost. I am sure they will sell no doubt but not as fast as Cat would like to hope. Also on a side note I wish they had made the top of the undercarriage sloped and not flat so dirt would fall off more while running the machine.

I'd rather pay a little extra for better service and name, but it depends on the dealership.

I'm sure they will make some price "adjustments" along the way, it's cheaper to build them with the steel they use rather than buy all the rubber and undercarriage assemblies from an outside company like ASV.
If they can mass produce 80% of the U/C in house, it's money well spent and the price should come down, but if they had to buy 100% of the U/C from and outside company, it's going to be reflected in the price tag.

keerym
08-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Here is the first unit to hit Wheeler Machinery in Utah.

Junior M
08-12-2008, 10:46 AM
how do you tighten the tracks on the new cats? is it with a grease gun or is it like the asv tracks?

bobcat_ron
08-12-2008, 11:08 AM
There's a cover plate on the side, remove the bolts and the fitting for the grease is there on the idler piston.

I'm placing a bet on these U/C's, the bet is that judging by the torsion axle mounts and the retaining bolts, they might be able to swap out an ASV U/C to this system, just change the hoses over from the drive motors and go. If that's the case, I hope they offer a buyout program.

Junior M
08-12-2008, 12:20 PM
what? so your saying you think they might sell an after market option to put these tracks and undercarriage on your mtl?

BrandonV
08-12-2008, 05:43 PM
wouldn't that be cool, have the mtl for the mud and the ctl for the rocks

Junior M
08-12-2008, 07:21 PM
i dont think they would be interchangeable like your thinking if i understand what you mean...

bobcat_ron
08-12-2008, 08:20 PM

Or like people like me, I don't want to lose the depreciation value and have that reflected on my year end financial statements. And I do love my machine.

Hell, I still have the nick name of Mr. Ron "add-on" De Jong around these parts.

It's just not as good as "long shlong".

YellowDogSVC
08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
It's just not as good as "long shlong".

Now that would make for a good business card or billboard on the interstate! :weightlifter:

BIGBEN2004
08-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Still another skid loader built for wheels and bolted on track systems. I wish Cat had built this new model lineup with the track system built as a one piece setup to the frame. That is still one thing I like so much about Takeuchi is that they were developed for tracks and tracks only never wheels. They just seem to be built heavier duty and with Cats history of strength in the excavating field I would have thought they would have devoted the new lineup strictly as a track machine lineup for severe duty applications.

Bleed Green
08-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I can't believe there is nothing on Cats website about these yet and they have them at dealerships already.

Junior M
08-13-2008, 07:55 PM
thats wierd bobcat had the torsion axles advertised all over the place before they started selling them...

keerym
08-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Bigben, I would caution you to check out a machine before you make comments like that. This is in no way a bolt on system. If you hard mounted the track system to the frame, the machine would ride like a lumber wagon. This machine is pretty stout when you see it in person with steel rollers and a large cast iron sproket just like a D6. The track system adjusts with a grease cylinder, also like a track type tractor.

bobcat_ron
08-13-2008, 09:12 PM
thats wierd bobcat had the torsion axles advertised all over the place before they started selling them...

Their roller system is an absolute joke!!
I was dropping off the rental hammer, so the parts guy showed me a new T320 with the roller suspension, he showed me what it could do over a speed bump. His head nearly hit the ceiling.
Bobcat has put so much tension on the springs, when the machine is empty, it rides on the rear roller and rear idlers, it takes a massive amount of weight to get them to work. I have never seen a T320 bounce and roll that much empty while driving down the road.

Nice concept Bobcat!! :laugh:

Junior M
08-13-2008, 09:30 PM
nobody said it would work!! haha i dont really see the purpose of it anyway... no matter what skid i am in my back always starts hurting (freakn horses!! long story)

02DURAMAX
08-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Same as sthe 297C (same machine- different undercarriage)- 90net hp, 3.3L Mitsubishi, 217lb ft torque.

why dont they use cat engines??

ksss
08-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Their roller system is an absolute joke!!
I was dropping off the rental hammer, so the parts guy showed me a new T320 with the roller suspension, he showed me what it could do over a speed bump. His head nearly hit the ceiling.
Bobcat has put so much tension on the springs, when the machine is empty, it rides on the rear roller and rear idlers, it takes a massive amount of weight to get them to work. I have never seen a T320 bounce and roll that much empty while driving down the road.

Nice concept Bobcat!! :laugh:

Does anyone else see the humor in this. CAT who has the MTL and uses its softer suspension as a sales tool, releases a CTL system which is largely unsuspended minus the torsion bars. BC who has touted the solid system as being less upkeep and better grading due to no suspension flex over the MTL, releases a semi suspended unit.

Just seems a little Ironic I gues. Grass is always greener philosophy.

As far as the "Roller Suspension" I still cant believe they brought that to market. Wow. I have been waiting for someone to post on here who has run it. Maybe it is more than it appears, but I kinda doubt it.

Scag48
08-14-2008, 01:24 AM
You're not alone Kaiser, I see the irony as well. Still scratching my head, but whatever.

bobcat_ron
08-14-2008, 10:20 AM
why dont they use cat engines??

Cat doesn't make engines under 99 hp, but they do own a good chunk of Perkins and they have been doing business with Mitsubishi since the late 70's, so they use their engines for the machines that have 95 hp or less, much like Deere'tachi uses Yanmars in their mini's under 5 tons.

BIGBEN2004
08-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Bigben, I would caution you to check out a machine before you make comments like that. This is in no way a bolt on system. If you hard mounted the track system to the frame, the machine would ride like a lumber wagon. This machine is pretty stout when you see it in person with steel rollers and a large cast iron sproket just like a D6. The track system adjusts with a grease cylinder, also like a track type tractor.

If it is anything like their MTL setup then it will be too weak to handle the extra weight and stress the CTL will put too it. I have broken many torsion suspension setups on the 267's and 277's. They were so weak when in heavy sticky wet clay material they would crack and rip the entire undercarriage off the machine. The Takeuchi is hard mounted to the frame all one piece and it doesn't ride that rough, no rougher then a 953 or 963 does. With a good seat most bumps and jars are not even noticed.

crab
08-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Ben is that you're bike?

ksss
08-14-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't think that is Bens bike. I was at the CAT dinner in Vegas when it was presented to the new owner. It was some foundation if I recall cant remember the name.

crab
08-14-2008, 08:34 PM
didn't mean it snarky ,was trying to be nice.cant tell a Harley from a handbag!:cry:

BIGBEN2004
08-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Ben is that you're bike?

No I wish, it was at the Cat open house and I snapped a shot with my camera phone. It was the OCC chopper built for Cat. They wanted like $20.00 to sit on it and have your picture taken, just like Cat charge you for everything.:laugh:

crab
08-14-2008, 09:57 PM
now that we agree on!!

BOBCATZZ
08-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Still another skid loader built for wheels and bolted on track systems. I wish Cat had built this new model lineup with the track system built as a one piece setup to the frame. That is still one thing I like so much about Takeuchi is that they were developed for tracks and tracks only never wheels. They just seem to be built heavier duty and with Cats history of strength in the excavating field I would have thought they would have devoted the new lineup strictly as a track machine lineup for severe duty applications.
Agreed bigben Tak has pionered the ctl and did such a good job to start with they have not needed to re invent the wheel good luck cat hope the chassis doesnt crack to bits.
Also ron cat actually use shiboura engines in the smaller cat skids and mtls to be honest from my experiance shiboura engines would be the worst engine ever to grace gods green earth i know a cat rep as a freind and not many last over 1000 hours with out any major probs.
Must admit though the 299 looks bling but like the mtls though every one will want the new kid on the block and trade it in on somthing else when they become aware it is just another knee jerk reaction from cat to get into the ctl market .
The front idiler looks small like bobcat hope not
Hey seen this written on a cat ssl recently
Q -WHATS THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN A CAT AND A LEMON
A -ABOUT TWO SHADES ON A COLOUR CHART

qps
08-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Agreed bigben Tak has pionered the ctl and did such a good job to start with they have not needed to re invent the wheel good luck cat hope the chassis doesnt crack to bits.
Also ron cat actually use shiboura engines in the smaller cat skids and mtls to be honest from my experiance shiboura engines would be the worst engine ever to grace gods green earth i know a cat rep as a freind and not many last over 1000 hours with out any major probs.
Must admit though the 299 looks bling but like the mtls though every one will want the new kid on the block and trade it in on somthing else when they become aware it is just another knee jerk reaction from cat to get into the ctl market .

Now here is an intelligent post:rolleyes:
It's funny to sit back and watch you fellows bash CAT all the time...most of it is in good fun but some of it is just stupidity...

BOBCATZZ
08-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Now here is an intelligent post:rolleyes:
It's funny to sit back and watch you fellows bash CAT all the time...most of it is in good fun but some of it is just stupidity...
MMMM and to think forums are a place to vioce opinion or is it only on certian things?

Digdeep
08-15-2008, 08:55 AM

No CAT does not use the Shiboura engines (Case used them in their small skids-420) They are definitely Perkins in the small frames and Mitsubishi in the large ones.

Digdeep
08-15-2008, 08:59 AM

CAT is easily #2 in US market share for CTLs(not quite a knee jerk reaction) and Bobcat is #1. My buddy at Bobcat showed me the national figures for 2007 and if you added up Takeuchi, Mustang and Gehl they still would not be #2. CAT is definitely not for everyone (or me either) but enough people must think highly enough of them in order for them to be where they are.

BIGBEN2004
08-15-2008, 04:54 PM
CAT is easily #2 in US market share for CTLs(not quite a knee jerk reaction) and Bobcat is #1. My buddy at Bobcat showed me the national figures for 2007 and if you added up Takeuchi, Mustang and Gehl they still would not be #2. CAT is definitely not for everyone (or me either) but enough people must think highly enough of them in order for them to be where they are.

Most are sold to large scale companies that buy all the same brand for every piece they own for easier parts, service and better deals from large scale buys every time they need to update their fleet. Also Cat has a super large dealer network. Cat builds great equipment, their is just better brands in certain types of machines. I personally don't go after brand loyalty, I go after what fits the need and my budget.

BOBCATZZ
08-15-2008, 05:15 PM
In australia cat ssl and mtls have a woeful reputation contractors i know bought skids as most of there gear is cat and never kept them long.
Also look at any auction especially iron planet month after month loads of skid steers and mtls 90% cat few bobcat if you gauged market leaders by auctions cat comes in first hands down (most very low hours too)
Personally i think cat are better of with the new undercarrige than the asv design i know it is better for australia
Sorry im not bagging cat as i would operate a shovel if need be but i can garantee that by christmas iron planet will have more than its share of cheap 299s the waiting game is on!

JDSKIDSTEER
08-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I do not see them going with metal tracks. The extra weight would to hard on drive motors.

BrandonV
08-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Most are sold to large scale companies that buy all the same brand for every piece they own for easier parts, service and better deals from large scale buys every time they need to update their fleet. Also Cat has a super large dealer network. Cat builds great equipment, their is just better brands in certain types of machines. I personally don't go after brand loyalty, I go after what fits the need and my budget.

exactly, that's why I love my cat so much I also have a 920 wheel loader that is a dinosaur and can still get parts for it. The parts aren't cheap but neither is a loader. Deere also has a great parts network, but major dealer issues in my area. Bobcat on the other hand (of which I own 3) has been a problem on parts I supposed since its been bought and sold so many times. My 2410 which is still the best loader ever made by bobcat is a pain to get parts for. luckily it doesn't have much in way of electronics but stuff like handlers/knobs no chance. I personally think all the players make good stuff at the moment but some have better service/parts than others.

Scag48
08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Shiboura engines in Cat machines? Nope. Perkins in the skids, Mitsubishis in the minis.

BrandonV
08-15-2008, 10:28 PM
anyone bought a 299 yet?

Digdeep
08-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Shiboura engines in Cat machines? Nope. Perkins in the skids, Mitsubishis in the minis.

The 3.3L they are running in their large frame skids is also a Mitsubishi that is branded by Perkins.

qps
08-16-2008, 07:36 AM
MMMM and to think forums are a place to vioce opinion or is it only on certian things?

you mean "voice" or "certain" ....spell check is the little box on the right....opinions are always welcome...loop-sided ones are just ridiculous.....line them up.....demo all of them........then I'll stand up and pay attention...watch iron planet...read spec sheets numbers to me....I could give a rat's A$$....all machines have there good and bad is my point, no need in constantly pointing out negative...I could go on and on about the bobcrap T320 I demoed....you couldn't give me that POS....by the way welcome to the site and your 30 something post....

qps
08-16-2008, 07:38 AM
anyone bought a 299 yet?

The next shipment arriving at my dealer I have a demo set up...they pre sold all four of there first shipment....

qps
08-16-2008, 07:43 AM

Exactly...what I paid for my 297C, was...well lets say equal if not less than some of the competitors...so it fit my budget...If something came out tomm. from brand X and out performed everything else I would buy it, not brand loyal as much as dealer loyal...if that makes sense...they trip over themselves with customer service....

CarterKraft
08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
The 3.3L they are running in their large frame skids is also a Mitsubishi that is branded by Perkins.

May have read this incorrectly but the Mitsubishi's are Mitsubishi's nothing to do with Perkins.

Clear as mud?

CarterKraft
08-18-2008, 02:01 PM
I also noticed on my way back in from my service call this morning there was shiny new 289C up front. If any body wants some in particular pics let me know.

YellowDogSVC
08-18-2008, 03:34 PM

Voicing opinion is one thing but blatant bashing and bad facts is another. CAT skids, at least the bigger ones, use mitsubishi engines.. I don't think any major brand the "best". CAt has plenty of good points and plenty of problems. I can say the same for Bobcat. I don't know enough about the other brands other than what I read here from operators but I have enough time in CAT and Bobcat to say that both are fine machines just different and both with different sets of problems.

YellowDogSVC
08-18-2008, 03:35 PM
I also noticed on my way back in from my service call this morning there was shiny new 289C up front. If any body wants some in particular pics let me know.

Have the changed the outer air filter housing? Any snorkels added yet?

Bleed Green
08-18-2008, 04:53 PM
if you can get some pics might as well snap some and post them. new iron is always nice to see.

CarterKraft
08-19-2008, 09:12 PM
for those of you that missed it, I posted the pix here

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=243070

CarterKraft
08-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Does anyone else see the humor in this. CAT who has the MTL and uses its softer suspension as a sales tool, releases a CTL system which is largely unsuspended minus the torsion bars. BC who has touted the solid system as being less upkeep and better grading due to no suspension flex over the MTL, releases a semi suspended unit.

Just seems a little Ironic I gues. Grass is always greener philosophy.

As far as the "Roller Suspension" I still cant believe they brought that to market. Wow. I have been waiting for someone to post on here who has run it. Maybe it is more than it appears, but I kinda doubt it.

The suspended "bogie style undercarriage" is a new product on CAT MTL machines, sure it's better than a non suspended undercarriage of the same type but this is a new machine for CAT.

The CTL is not the same type of undercarriage and as CAT doesn't run suspended bogie undercarriage on anything under D8 size dozer and not on any track loaders, they won't run it on a CTL... for now.

This undercarriage is suspended the same as the B-series and A series MTL's so where is the rub?

Not trying to pick a fight just more interested in peoples perceptions. Is that the way you saw it or did I miss your point of the statement.

The new suspended ASV on the C and B2 machines will have a lower ground pressure I would imagine than the CTL machines but there is allot of track on the ground on the CTL machines.

BrynBaily
08-22-2008, 11:38 AM
New here....been reading for awhile, finally decided to join.
Anyhow I ran one of these new Cat designed MTL yesterday for the first time and was very impressed. I've actually considered purchasing one for myself. Is there anyone out there that has put some hours on em' that has some feedback? Good or bad?

bobcat_ron
08-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Anyhow I ran one of these new Cat designed MTL yesterday for the first time and was very impressed. I've actually considered purchasing one for myself. Is there anyone out there that has put some hours on em' that has some feedback? Good or bad?

I think highly of the system, but not in the large frames, those narrow rollers scare me, but the 247/257 size is perfect, the rollers are smaller and thicker.
They have their benefits and disadvantages, smoother ride and more traction, but they can cost more to repair if you don't handle them right. Bury the tracks in gravel (3" minus is the worst) and you will start chipping the rollers quickly, not right away, but do it for 100 hours and the money will roll away. But on the other hand, the traditional steel imbed rubber tracks can be just as costly, bury them, and the steel rollers will pound the gravel into the rubber and start eating the tracks up fast and the steel imbeds will show through and start rusting, I have done this a lot of times on my T190, so it's a 2 way street.
I have 225 hours now, I really like it in the mud, it glides over the snotty stuff easier and leaves less ruts behind and the torsion axles keep the machine planted. My T190 would leave large ruts behind and take a lot of mud with it as I drive and I could feel the mud packing around the drive motors, that is bad.
But on the hand, the odd time I bull doze a pile of soil over, I do wonder what types of rocks will end up in the tracks, but I haven't stalled the tracks due to plugging from rock, so it seems better than I expect at times.

Scag48
08-22-2008, 08:46 PM

Welcome aboard. Good to see another IUOE member on here.

Junior M
08-22-2008, 11:16 PM
hey brynbaily...

do you know where johnstown or granville ohio is? maybe even newark? just wondering.. i am originally from ohio.. and i really love it there (didnt mean to rob the thread)

BrynBaily
08-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Welcome aboard. Good to see another IUOE member on here.
Hey, thanks. Lots of good info on here.

hey brynbaily...
do you know where johnstown or granville ohio is? maybe even newark? just wondering.. i am originally from ohio.. and i really love it there (didnt mean to rob the thread)
Yes, they are NE of Columbus, about 2 hrs from me. Home of Longaberger Baskets I believe? Your in SC.....how can you miss Ohio?:confused:
My parents are in North Myrtle Beach, I've considered moving a few times but the $$$ is keeping me up here.

Enough bastardizing, how about more info :)

Junior M
08-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Hey, thanks. Lots of good info on here.

Yes, they are NE of Columbus, about 2 hrs from me. Home of Longaberger Baskets I believe? Your in SC.....how can you miss Ohio?:confused:
My parents are in North Myrtle Beach, I've considered moving a few times but the $$$ is keeping me up here.

Enough bastardizing, how about more info :)
yep..the guy that started longaberger he precided in granville and his huge house still stands.. in fact my dad did alot of drainage for longaberger...

yeah, it sucks here, no farms no big fields just houses and pines and its basically flat and the hunting and trapping sucks here... its just really boring but it has some if its places that are awesome...

#1 Catman
12-04-2009, 06:25 PM

Yes, There is an option for Steel track on Cat 279C, 289C and 299C models. 14" singles, 14" triples, and 18" triple grouser tracks. Please contact me if interested.