PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the fall.

Mike M
08-08-2008, 09:51 AM
I have an rsvp going out in October, but I'd also like to do a few runs of my own postcard, and I've been patiently holding off until the fall.

I plan on low volume in limited communities, so I can afford two or three runs to the same addresses.

Any recommendation for mailing dates? I was thinking Labor Day and DST (mid Nov). The rsvp will be mid October, I think.

Thanks,

Mike

worx
08-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Does eveyone seem to have favorable results in the fall versus other times of the year......why?

Chris J
08-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Does eveyone seem to have favorable results in the fall versus other times of the year......why?

Absolutely. I assume it's for a couple of reasons: 1. It gets darker earlier and 2. Everyone is getting ready for guests and entertaining for the holidays so they want their home to look nice.

irrig8r
08-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I heard somewhere once that the most popular target day for mass market mailings is Tuesdays.

Seems like Labor Day weekend there would be too many other distractions, whether travel, barbecues, community events, etc.

sprinklerchris
08-08-2008, 05:33 PM
I have an rsvp going out in October, but I'd also like to do a few runs of my own postcard, and I've been patiently holding off until the fall.

I plan on low volume in limited communities, so I can afford two or three runs to the same addresses.

Any recommendation for mailing dates? I was thinking Labor Day and DST (mid Nov). The rsvp will be mid October, I think.

Thanks,

Mike

Around Halloween can be great in some neighborhoods. All of the homeowners get out and walk their kids from house-to-house.

We put up yard signs on our choice projects during that time.

worx
08-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Around Halloween can be great in some neighborhoods. All of the homeowners get out and walk their kids from house-to-house.

We put up yard signs on our choice projects during that time.

Great idea I will make sure I have my demos out in a few choice locations!!

Mike M
08-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Chris, how do you spread your schedule? Six weeks apart, if I recall?

Chris J
08-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Schedule for what? Mailings? 45 days. Sending to the same people at least 3 times every 45 days.

Mike M
08-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Chris, when do you recommend I start, the week after Labor Day, than count my RSVP in mid October, then again later Nov at DST?

That would be only two custom runs with one rsvp. I could also send a custom run six weeks after DST, which puts me at early January.

Chris J
08-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I couldn't honestly tell you when the best time would be as I haven't figured that out for myself. I would think that you should avoid the holiday mailings. It would probably be a good idea to hit it hard a couple of weeks (even 3) before any holiday, but I think the effort is futile during the holiday week. I'm pretty much hit and miss. I started my last campaign in the first week of August, and I'll do another one 45 days after that, whatever day that falls on. The next mailing will be the 2nd or 3rd week of September which actually falls right in line with what I'm telling you (after the holiday). I may push it up a bit just to see if it helps. My thought is maybe people are at parties on Labor Day at customer's homes, so I need to send right after labor day while the thought is still on their mind. I'm no marketing genius, so I apologize for not being able to answer your question with accuracy. I do my best, and I believe this is sound advice. It is what I'm gonna do, so if you fail you will have company. If you succeed, then I'll be your best friend!

Mike M
08-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Well, speculating too much tends to backfire anyways. Last year I did a small mailing to samples of people in a few communities, at christmas time (early Dec). Everyone said I was wrong because people were spending their time and money Christmas shopping, but I sold my first decent installations from it.

I've been waiting patiently for the fall season, to spend some bucks on more solo post cards. I will do a small mailing to a tight demographic, so I can afford 3 runs to the same addresses. This will be in addition to my quarterly RSVP run that goes out to 25k. Interesting, since it will also be my third rsvp run.

Chris J
08-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Have you had good response with RSVP? I know they have a call tracking system, did you use it?

Mike M
08-08-2008, 09:31 PM
call tracking?

Not sure if this is what you mean, but they give me a list of people who checked off an interest in my biz on their rsvp return card (dinner drawing).

Chris J
08-08-2008, 09:47 PM
No, no. There is a phone number tracking system available. You can go online, and see exactly every phone number (with details like caller name) that called as a response to that specific card. They issue a special phone number (on the card) but it still rings to your phone number. It's a good way to track what the cards are bringing in, but the down side is this. Once you stop doing business with that advertiser, you lose that phone number. A lot of our business has to do with timing. A client might be building a home and keep your card for 1, 2 maybe 3 years. If you don't remain a client of the RSVP mail, then the number called will be to no one. In certain circumstances, they will allow you to buy that phone number and have it transferred to your phone. Just another monthly cost that's not worth it. Just keep good records, and ask how they heard about you. It's much less expensive.