PDA

View Full Version : Straight shaft, or Curved shaft

white1
08-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Looking at investing in a stick edger. I think I have it narrowed down to the Shindiawa LE242, or 261, or the RedMax HEZ2401S.

Al my 2 straok stuff now is Shindiawa, so I like the idea of the 242, or 261, but wondering if the straight shaft RedMax may have some advantages?

MisfitBobletts
08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
its all gonna depend on what you are trimming...i go with curved shaft because i run a cemetery and those work better for trimming around all the headstones

twocycledoctor
08-08-2008, 11:39 AM
straight shaft all the way!!

white1
08-08-2008, 01:10 PM
its all gonna depend on what you are trimming...i go with curved shaft because i run a cemetery and those work better for trimming around all the headstones

Pretty much just sidewalks and driveways

mississippiturf
08-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Don't recall any landscaper/lawn maintenance folks that have been in business awhile ever using a curved shaft.

Maybe some out there, but the straight shaft is by far the professional's choice.

MisfitBobletts
08-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Don't recall any landscaper/lawn maintenance folks that have been in business awhile ever using a curved shaft.

Maybe some out there, but the straight shaft is by far the professional's choice.

Oh so now im not a professional? lol jk

yeah with these headstones being 2-3" below the grass the curved shafts work really well....ive tried the straight shaft and they work but its alot more uncomfortable, the curved shaft works perfectly with no unneccesary operator fatigue

dura to the max
08-08-2008, 04:58 PM
all straight shaft. more power, less back-ache, easier to use, and balanced better. all the other pros i see use straight shaft.

delphied
08-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I have a shinny stick edger and I dont think they make one with a straight shaft so I got the curved. I like it and it hasnt failed me yet. I think the original reason the "pros" went with straight shafts was because the drive shafts didnt break as much as well as they look more like pros according to some folks. Shinny is a good brand and if they are comfortable with a curve then so am I.

MileHigh
08-08-2008, 07:34 PM
My shindaiwa LE261 edger shaft just snapted in half while driving down the road in my trimmer rack!

I'm using my Stihl FC75 for now...Doesn't have half the power my shindy did.

dura to the max
08-08-2008, 09:51 PM
didnt notice that you were talkin about edgers, either would be fine. if i had it to do over again i would get a straight shaft though.

tlb9596
08-09-2008, 12:14 AM
didnt notice that you were talkin about edgers, either would be fine. if i had it to do over again i would get a straight shaft though.

what's wrong with a curved shaft ?? :cry:

:cry:

merrimacmill
08-09-2008, 12:51 AM
I perfer straight shaft, but I think its all personal preference. Talked to some guys around here, and they say its simply more comfortable for them. I've been told that shorter guys like the curved shafts and taller guys like the straights. I'm 6' 5'' and I like straights, but I don't really see where it would matter either way... Just thought I'd throw what I've heard out there.

freshprince94
08-09-2008, 09:03 AM
I have used both and prefer the straight shaft.

dura to the max
08-09-2008, 10:47 AM
what's wrong with a curved shaft ?? :cry:

:cry:

nothing is wrong w/ them, they just arent as powerful as a straight shaft and the gear-head isnt as strong. i would get the straight shaft so that i could run the thicker blade on it for a wider groove.

S L C
08-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Oh so now im not a professional? lol jk

yeah with these headstones being 2-3" below the grass the curved shafts work really well....ive tried the straight shaft and they work but its alot more uncomfortable, the curved shaft works perfectly with no unneccesary operator fatigue

stihl fs46 curved...very long shaft, about the same as a straight, just a different feel!!:clapping:

greenred
08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Most quality straight shaft trimmers have a solid drive shaft, which you cant get on a curved shaft trimmer. Long ago when I was getting into the business a old mechanic I knew recommended straight shafts over curved as their drive shafts last much longer - or something to that effect.

tlb9596
08-09-2008, 02:17 PM
a wider groove.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

mattxb
09-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Just weighing in on this topic......

I prefer curved shaft trimmers and with an edge-it attached, I dont need an edger for the lawns I am doing.

Also I am 6'4" tall. The curved shafts fit better for me, because I can keep the head parallel with the ground much easier without having to bend over, plus its lighter than my straight shaft Husqy by far.