PDA

View Full Version : Zero Turns on Hills...................

bobcatmatt
08-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I just purchased an 08 Dixie Chopper Classic HP 3360. I am mowing in a cemetery and have a few hills to traverse. Nothing extremely steep just basically a long gentle slope. At the top it could be a little tricky but if it does happen to break loose what should be my first instinct. I have only gotten about 2 hours of seat time so far in a couple of family yards and what not so I'm getting more seat time before i try and take the cemetery on. Any advice from anyone your be appriciated.

Do's and Don't's ??????

Genlandscape
08-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Do be careful, don't do anthing dumb...jus kidding. The best advice I can offer is to get some more seat time and take it slow until you are more comfortable with the machine. I've got eXmark Lazer hp's and they will slide on an incline before they even consider rolling over. I've never been on a chopper full time so I don't want to mislead you on that machine. Just get comfortable on it, you should be fine.

mississippiturf
08-08-2008, 03:56 PM
If it's over 15 degrees then traverse up and down the slope. If you feel its about to flip, steer immediately downhill. If your mower is 52" or less, the likelihood of a roll-over is greater than a 60" or larger. Always use safety. R.O.P.S and seat belt are on the mower for a reason and it ain't for good looks!!

bobcatmatt
08-08-2008, 04:16 PM
My dixie has a 60 inch deck and i might be over thinking the severety of this hill. Not much on figuring out the slope. With my previous tractor (BX24 Kubota) there was no moxing up the hill on the seat or anything while mowing side to side. I guess I just need seat time.

What about the tires breaking traction? First reaction?

david shumaker
08-08-2008, 08:34 PM
If I think there is going to be a problem turning on a slope, I don't attempt it. I use my walk behind or 21" mower for the part where it's hard to turn or where I think there will be a problem. I've gotten into some spots where I didn't think I could get out, but try to be on the safe side now rather than get into a tight spot.

PTP
08-08-2008, 09:02 PM
It sure would be ironic if you rolled it in the cemetery.

hockeypro1411
08-09-2008, 01:08 AM
It sure would be ironic if you rolled it in the cemetery.

not to mention convenient. lol just kidding. ...maybe. anyway just steer downhill if you feel like youre about to flip. at most youll get a seatbelt hard to the gut if you slide forward on the seat. beats the hell outta joining the people under you.

bobcatmatt
08-09-2008, 09:35 AM
LOL, i sure don't wanna join the people around me that's for sure. I took the Dixie out yesterday an part of the hill just to see how she did. Going up hill i have absolutley no worries with the machine. Doesn't feel light in the front end or anything. It's getting to the top and turning to come back down.

I do know from reading on this site to not mow a hill if it's wet, so i won't even try that. I have plenty of flat ground if it is still damp out. I think it may be just seat time and getting a handle on the controls. It's kinda nice to have a new piece of equipment, kinda got me in the modd to mow again. Not just the same 'ole thing with the Kubota tractor.

Thanks for the replies all....................

Matt

MAD87
08-09-2008, 10:45 AM
When I'm mowing sideways on a slope, I always push the downhill lever slightly more than the uphill lever (if that makes sense. The downhill tire needs to rotate just a little faster than the uphill tire). This helps to prevent you from sliding downhill. Once I learned that trick it took 99% of my problems away mowing on slopes. Seat time makes all of the difference in the world!

lawnprosteveo
08-09-2008, 10:49 AM
I never did get comfortable with my Toro Z on hills. I switched to a stander style mower. It feels much more stable and when Im around a retaining wall, I feel I have an out if I screw up.

greenred
08-09-2008, 11:15 AM
I never did get comfortable with my Toro Z on hills. I switched to a stander style mower. It feels much more stable and when Im around a retaining wall, I feel I have an out if I screw up.

I have a Toro Z too. It is absolute crap on hills. The front end is way to light and the width of the back end is to narrow.

ALC-GregH
08-09-2008, 11:58 AM
It's getting to the top and turning to come back down.
Matt

I think I understand what you mean. You need to turn around while still on the hill correct? If so, I have the same type of hill I mow. What I do is stop at facing uphill, then depending on which direction I need to turn, I swing it around all at once allowing the momentum to carry it around facing downhill. You just need more time with the mower. I felt uncomfortable turning on the hill I mow but after a few weeks doing it, I've found much easier ways to handle the mower and not tear up the grass. Here's a pic of the hill I mow.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn2537.jpg

ALC-GregH
08-09-2008, 12:08 PM
It looks messy at the top of the hill because it's steep enough that I can't go down it near the right side. The over grown grass along the fence isn't a problem with the owner as he's the one that said not to bother with cutting along there. I slid into the fence 2 times trying to mow it coming down the hill. I've learned fast to mow it going UP hill at least 3 passes along the right side before I can come down otherwise I'll slide into the fence.

bobcatmatt
08-09-2008, 01:26 PM
ALC-----That is the type of hill i am talking about. Long and gradual but once at the top i have nowhere to go but to turn around. Like i said going up not a problem just coming back. A walk behind or push mower isn't a good alternative for the fact that the "field" is probably 3 to 4 acres in size. It's an "overflow" that doesn't have very many stones it up high just an open area. The seat time isn't gonna be a problem, I actually enjoy going out and mowing now.

Thanks again for the insight fellas...............