PDA

View Full Version : what would you do retaining wall or swale

scenicexcellence
08-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Alright i got a call today to create a swale or install a retaining wall at a building that has a water drain going through the building out the side and onto the grass. the problem is that the water overtakes the neighbouring building parking lot. The owner of the building wants to fix this problem by creating a swale down the side of the building. I suggested a retaining wall would work better to direct the water to the street, with some kind of material behind the wall to stop the wat from going through the wall and direct it to the road.

The wall would be 2 feet high including the full 4 inches of block in the ground, planning on using 4 inch high by 12 inch wide by 8 inch deep blocks.
I would be putting weeping til behind the wall as well as directly behind the wall would be using some sort of material to stop the water from going through the wall.

Or i can just bring in a whole bunch of fill and topsoil build up a swale and lay the sod down and do it alot quicker than the wall.

What suggestions do you have to put in this area.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/DSC00247.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/DSC00248.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/DSC00249.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/DSC00250.jpg

Also what kind of price would you charge to do the swale and what kind of price would you charge for the wall. blocks are $2.00 dollars each and the top soil fill is about $12 a yard and crushed 3\4 clear is 25 a yard delivered
rental on mini excavator for two days including delivery both ways is 540 incl tax
and i would do it all my self.

the area to be sodded is 12 by 112 sod is $.19 per square foot delivered

scenicexcellence
08-08-2008, 05:14 PM
thinking somewhere around 8500 for wall and 1350 for sodding

not sure about the swal though the area for sod increases when the swale is created to about 14 by 115
and to create the swale how much to charge?

scenicexcellence
08-08-2008, 05:42 PM
and thinking about 4500 for swale and sod what do you guys think about these prices?

punt66
08-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Why not just plumb it to a dry well or plumb it elsewhere. Why make the property unsightly?

scenicexcellence
08-09-2008, 06:23 PM
not sure but these are the two decisions he gave me to go with. He doesn't want to move the piping inside because it is heated piping inside and doesn't want plumbing on it because he thinks it will freeze and then back up the drain damaging the heated pipe.

howierd3866
08-09-2008, 06:39 PM
cleck and make sure you aloud to drain the water into the street most place you must contain you water first...I agree about the dry well you can still do that just leave the pipe alone and put the dry well in where the falls...

scenicexcellence
08-09-2008, 08:15 PM
how do these dry wells work?

howierd3866
08-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I never did one for money or as for a customer so someone else might what to clip in with the right way...but all we did was dig a big enought hole for a drum if used or just drain rock....like I say this is how I were to do it not sure if what the right way would be if one.

scenicexcellence
08-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Ok so i could just dig a big hole then fill with river rock and 3\4 inch clear stone spout the water to there and voila done? cover it up so it looks good.

how much would you charge for this. I do believe i stand to make more money putting the swale or the retaining wall. I am charging 4500 to make the swale and sod it.

Also with this being right at the side of a parking lot won't it make the parking lot sag in the area the water goes under it? or do i have to dig down like 5 feet for this? Also is there the possibility of it over flowing? The point is to keep the water away from the parking lot as much as possible.

punt66
08-09-2008, 09:25 PM
A proper dry well is like a sewer manhole except it is perferated all around to let the water seep out into the ground. You dig a big hole, put down some stone, drop in the drywell, backfill with stone, topsoil and sod around the cover. You can still make good money and thats the proper way to fix the problem. They make plastic wells too so if you dont have a machine big enough to drop in a concrete one use a plastic one. It wont be driven or paved over there anyway.

punt66
08-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Also, you should look into whether the building has a fotting drain. There might be a pipe right under it to tap into.

scenicexcellence
08-10-2008, 01:44 AM
ok thanks for the info. I will look into doing this project this way, but in the end it is up to the customer. He has to get what ever is being done approved by the city because that is who is making him do this!

scenicexcellence
08-12-2008, 01:36 AM
How much to charge for putting in a dry well?

punt66
08-12-2008, 06:31 AM
How much to charge for putting in a dry well?.

you need to call a local supplyer to get a price on the actual drywell. Then price out about 6yds of stone. Then ad in the excavator. Topsoil, sod, your time, your profit. All areas are different. do your homework.