PDA

View Full Version : Ferris IS1500 or Scag Tiger Cub

La_Cutter
08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I think I have the ZTR selection narrowed to the Ferris IS1500 or Scag Tiger Cub. Both are the same price and 48" deck. The Ferris a 21hp Kaw and the Cub has a 19 hp Kaw.

Which one should have the best cut mulching, and is one more durable and reliable than the other?

Thanks!

fishmagnet
08-08-2008, 10:23 PM
The Scag & Ferris are equally durable, but the cut advantage goes to Scag, while the ride comfort advantage easily goes to the Ferris.

Both are awesome, well built, machines!

We have the Ferris 1500 48" 21hp Kaw, and the 21Kaw is a 'hoss' of an engine!:weightlifter:

dura to the max
08-08-2008, 10:39 PM
ive used both and would go for the scag when just comparing the mowers. but when comparing everything it would all come down to the dealer. i dont run scags currently b/c of the local dealer, however he's been nicer recently and im gonna use him for stihl stuff and if he continues to get better he could very well win my business. so in my book it mostly boils down to the dealer. i do agree w/ the above post, but think that dealer support is key.

La_Cutter
08-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Is the 19 hp enough for the Scag 48"? I can also get a 61" Cub with the 23hp Vanguard for another $200. Any of the other model cubs have a big increase in price.

The Scag dealer has a good reputation, and there are several other Scag dealers in the area. The Ferris dealer has a good reputation for other products, but I didn't even knew they sold Ferris until yesterday. I've never seen a Ferris in use in my area by a homeowner or commercial. The commercial users in my area or probably 50% Scag, 30% Hustler, 15% Exmark and the remainder being other brands.

TomberLawn
08-09-2008, 02:58 PM
19hp sounds a little low for mulching. I've never mulched with my Ferris, other than just throwing Gators on for leaves in the fall. I've always heard to go with the biggest engine you can get. If you keep sharp blades on the Ferris, I think you'll be very pleased with it's cut quality. Mine need to be sharpened before I use it again next week, but it still cut great today.

I really wouldn't get a 61" mower with only 23hp. I know the Vanguards are beasts, but you need more power than that. Bad Boy puts that engine on 48" and even their 36" mower. I've run a Deere 757 60" with 25hp and it felt weak.

Ferris didn't used to have any mowers in this area either, but the local Deere dealer started carrying them and they've sold a ton. As far as commercial mowers, they don't sell any Deeres anymore, it's all Ferris. See if you can get a demo for each mower. You'll like the ride of the Ferris, especially if the tires have the right pressure (about 12psi on the rear and 20psi on the front is what I'm running if I remember correctly).

dura to the max
08-09-2008, 03:00 PM
are you going to bag, mulch, or discharge? if you are going to primarily discharge i would be fine with the 19hp. heck, for $200 i would get the 61", but thats just me knowing what i cut.

La_Cutter
08-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I'll be mulching St. Augustine, hopefully only once a week. This time of the year and with the amount of rain we've had in the past month, my grass can grow about .75"-1"/day.

dura to the max
08-09-2008, 03:29 PM
then get more hp. it'll bog down like crazy w/ that much grass.

La_Cutter
08-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I think you're right, but the price for the Scag is very tempting. The next model up on the 48" is a 23hp Kohler, for an additional $1600.

I may need to look at the 54" Ferris with the 25hp Kaw for $800 more than the 19 hp Kaw Cub.

dura to the max
08-09-2008, 03:51 PM
that last ferris you mentioned sounds like the best for the $$$. all depends on what size you need.

TomberLawn
08-09-2008, 04:06 PM
that last ferris you mentioned sounds like the best for the $$$. all depends on what size you need.

Yeah, to step up to the 52" Ferris for only $800 is a deal. 25hp will really turn the blades. I like to see how much hp/inch a mower has. Mine (21hp/48") is .4375hp/inch and the 25hp/52" is .48hp/inch. I really wanted to get the 52" Ferris when I got mine, but had space limitations (I had to share the shed with my dad's 54" JD 345--now we have a 24x36 steel building!) and it was about $1000 more.

mjealey
08-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I have the Snapper Pro s150x. It is made by Ferris and is the exact same thing but without the suspension. I ordered some new gas caps and a striping kit and the parts for the Snapper come in a Ferris box. Anyway, I absolutley love mine. I have the 48" and 21 HP Kawaskai. A few months ago I was in the exact same position as you between the 19 HP Tiger Cub or the Snapper with 21 HP. I choose the Snapper. 2 more HP and in it was about $1,100.00 cheaper. I paid $5899 compared to the $6999 for the Scag. Scags are awesome machimes though. I think the cut quality is every bit as good as Scag. Another selling point was the pumps in the Snapper are fan cooled and 12cc compared to Scags 10cc and not fan cooled. Have been on both machines and in my opinion I believe the Snapper/Ferris are made just as good as the Scag. I got 50 hrs. on mine with absolutely no problems. The 21 Kawi is very strong running and plenty for the 48" deck. Don't be affraid of the Ferris. I'd pull the trigger on it and save some money.

RTR Landscaping
08-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Go with Scag. I'm running 100% Scags and we get great service out of all models. The Tiger Cubs with the Velocity deck cuts all types of grass wet or tall better than any other deck I've ever used.I have nothing against Ferris, but I know Scag is a great mower.Do you think the Ferris might have cutting issues as the suspension wears?
The service your dealer gives is important too.If the Scag dealer is good ,get the Tiger Cub!

ed2hess
08-09-2008, 07:47 PM
I'll be mulching St. Augustine, hopefully only once a week. This time of the year and with the amount of rain we've had in the past month, my grass can grow about .75"-1"/day.

The 19 hp Kohler is enough on the Cub 48"....we mulch 100% with outlet closed all year long. I am not sure a bigger engine would help when in wet or tall conditions the grass builds up on top of the blades and you have to turn off blades to let it drop down. If you had more hp that wouldn't get any better and you would probably heat up the belts big time.

S man
08-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Scag or ferris will not leave a clean mulched cut especially down in the south where the grass is thick and tall. Exmark is your best bet for mulching. A lazer z hp with the 46" and 19 kawasaki is a great choice. Do you have an exmark dealer in your area? You won't be sorry going with exmark.

dura to the max
08-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Scag or ferris will not leave a clean mulched cut especially down in the south where the grass is thick and tall. Exmark is your best bet for mulching. A lazer z hp with the 46" and 19 kawasaki is a great choice. Do you have an exmark dealer in your area? You won't be sorry going with exmark.

i run exmark down south and disagree w/ your statement 100%. while they are great mowers, scags and ferris' both cut grass on the same plane as the exmark. ive used all three and have exmark b/c of the dealer now. scags are imo as good or maybe better than the exmarks, i had 2 and kick myself for trading them in.

S man
08-09-2008, 11:00 PM
i run exmark down south and disagree w/ your statement 100%. while they are great mowers, scags and ferris' both cut grass on the same plane as the exmark. ive used all three and have exmark b/c of the dealer now. scags are imo as good or maybe better than the exmarks, i had 2 and kick myself for trading them in.

I have first hand experience seeing scags mulch with the FULL mulch kit and it looked like crap. This guy had the big 26 briggs on the 48 velocity. The triton deck mulches much better. Scag is good for production or areas where the cut doesn't have to be perfect. Exmark is for the good stuff.:drinkup:

dura to the max
08-09-2008, 11:05 PM
my scags gave me great service, better than any of my exmarks. and the cut was just as comparable. i actually want to switch back to scag, i the local dealer can loosen up some.

the scags are great mowers. i dont have as much experience w/ the ferris, but they both seem to give great results.

ALC-GregH
08-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Scag is good for production or areas where the cut doesn't have to be perfect. Exmark is for the good stuff.:drinkup:
Whatever.....:rolleyes:

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/Dscn26121.jpg

Take that! :D :waving:

S man
08-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Whatever.....:rolleyes: Take that! :D :waving:

So????:rolleyes:

La_Cutter
08-10-2008, 04:02 AM
If I increase my price range to include the 52" IS1500, I'm at the Kubota ZG222-48 price with a large displacement 22hp.

How is the cut and reliability of the ZG222?

ALC-GregH
08-10-2008, 09:46 AM
S-man must be a Exmark nut swinger. :)

S man
08-10-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm just stating that in my area in the south exmark gives the best cut especially when mulching.

La_Cutter
08-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Will most dealers give a better price when paying cash?

mjealey
08-10-2008, 09:00 PM
When I went to but my Snapper and was talking to the dealer about price, he said that he could cut me a deal but it depended on if I was paying cash or financing. If you finance and put it on your Yard Card I think there is processing fee or something to the dealer. Thought about financing for 12 months no payments and no interest, but I ended up getting it $100 cheaper by paying cash. Don't know if every dealer is like that or just mine.

dura to the max
08-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Whatever.....:rolleyes:

thank you, scags do give a great quality cut. as do exmarks, lesco's, and walkers along w/ a long list of other mowers. just b/c i have 2 exmarks doesnt make them the best mower in production. they're great, do what i need to do, but i'm NOT going to sit here and tell someone that the other mowers are crap. if i had a good scag dealer i would probably be running scags right now.

i think many of us on ls need to get off our high horse and quit ating like know-it-alls and saying that this mower is the best and that one is crap. S MAN is happy w/ his exmark as i am, but scag makes just as good of a mower.

S man
08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
thank you, scags do give a great quality cut. as do exmarks, lesco's, and walkers along w/ a long list of other mowers. just b/c i have 2 exmarks doesnt make them the best mower in production. they're great, do what i need to do, but i'm NOT going to sit here and tell someone that the other mowers are crap. if i had a good scag dealer i would probably be running scags right now.

i think many of us on ls need to get off our high horse and quit ating like know-it-alls and saying that this mower is the best and that one is crap. S MAN is happy w/ his exmark as i am, but scag makes just as good of a mower.

You're right. Scag is just as good a mower. I'm actually going to one of my dealers to pick up a redmax hand blower and will try out a tiger cub. How's that sound? I'll post what I thought of it.

La_Cutter
08-11-2008, 04:28 PM
The Tiger Cub does not have pump cooling fans or a hydraulic oil cooler, while most ZTRs have at least pump cooling fans and the Wildcat has an auxilary oil cooler. Does the Tiger Cub have a problem with high hydraulic oil temperatures?

S man
08-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I looked at the tiger cub up close today and wasen't that impressed with it. I'll stick with my exmark thank you.

Danielslawnservice
08-11-2008, 08:15 PM
.....::

u have a stripping kit on it?

La_Cutter
08-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Is the Tiger Cub Kawasaki 19hp a model FH601 or the FH580? Would a suspension seat on the Tiger Cub provide a ride equal to that of the Ferris?

Thanks!

ed2hess
08-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Is the Tiger Cub Kawasaki 19hp a model FH601 or the FH580? Would a suspension seat on the Tiger Cub provide a ride equal to that of the Ferris?

Thanks!

Probably not but.....if you have run these units without the fancy seat then once you get one it is plenty good. You can add more foam on practically any seat and get a pretty good ride.

Big Red Ferris
08-11-2008, 09:59 PM
i have 2 1500s with 21/48s and i mowed 3 big lawns on a little less then a gal gas thats about 8 ac,i also run amsoil im kinda supprised by the performance of the ferris's i used too work for a dealership as a set up man and serviced scags and i dont care for them they dont ride as nice and they are too rigged. ive been vary happy with my ferris's and not had a major problem

La_Cutter
08-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Is the ride improved on the IS2000, with fully independent front suspension, as compared to IS1500?

S man
08-11-2008, 11:33 PM
A guy who bought one of my trimmers has a partner in the biz who has a ferris 48" with the 19 hp and said it doesn't do to good when mulching. I guess because ferris doesn't offer a true mulch kit. They have the block off plate like scag has.

dura to the max
08-11-2008, 11:36 PM
^^^scag does offer a full mulch kit: http://www.scag.com/tigeraccys.html

dura to the max
08-11-2008, 11:39 PM
^^^^as does ferris: http://www.ferrisindustries.com/pages/mower.php?product_id=22

doesnt look like a chute blocker plate to me...

do some research before making statements like this.

TomberLawn
08-12-2008, 12:13 AM
A guy who bought one of my trimmers has a partner in the biz who has a ferris 48" with the 19 hp and said it doesn't do to good when mulching. I guess because ferris doesn't offer a true mulch kit. They have the block off plate like scag has.

Unless it was an older model with different specs, the 48" is only available with the 21hp. Did this guy have a mulch kit or just a chute cover?

TEKracing37
08-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I have an IS1500 (52" / 25hp Kawi) and another advantage for you with regards to moving up from the 48" to the 52" is the "trim deck". The bigger deck sticks out far enough on the left side as to allow you to get closer on your edges. The 48" deck is about even with the rear tires. I bought this Ferris in March and that was the deciding factor for me moving up to the bigger deck.

Man, that Ferris rides like a dream compared to the others I tested....:clapping:

punt66
08-12-2008, 04:22 PM
ferris all the way.

South Florida Lawns
08-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Go with the Scag, they are built tougher and will hold up longer. That full suspension stuff looks like a joke to me. I'm sure it provides a nice comfortable ride though.

punt66
08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Go with the Scag, they are built tougher and will hold up longer. That full suspension stuff looks like a joke to me. I'm sure it provides a nice comfortable ride though.

Looks like a joke? Its great. Saves my back thats for sure. Its fast, cuts good, and is priced well. The deck is hooked into the suspension to move with the bumps. Ferris is the cadiliac of mowers, and thats a review from somebody who actually owns one. Ferris is my pick.

La_Cutter
08-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Looks like a joke? Its great. Saves my back thats for sure. Its fast, cuts good, and is priced well. The deck is hooked into the suspension to move with the bumps. Ferris is the cadiliac of mowers, and thats a review from somebody who actually owns one. Ferris is my pick.

On the 1500Z it appear that the front of the deck is hanging from the frame and not the suspension like the 2000Z and larger models. Is this correct, and would the larger models have a better cut?

S man
08-12-2008, 07:23 PM
^^^^as does ferris: http://www.ferrisindustries.com/pages/mower.php?product_id=22

doesnt look like a chute blocker plate to me...

do some research before making statements like this.
I know scag and ferris make mulch kits. What I'm saying is ferris and scag both have mulch plates also. Scag has the crazy looking kit. Too me it looks like a mess with all the baffles and crap under there the air flow seems like it would get messed up. And the ferris mulch kit looks like a joke. I guess the baffles go around two blades and the blocker on the discharge blade and have blow out happening everywhere. I'm sorry I'm just stating the obvious.
Unless it was an older model with different specs, the 48" is only available with the 21hp. Did this guy have a mulch kit or just a chute cover?

It is a newer model. I'm just stating ferris doesn't offer a full much kit. ALl they have is the plate for mulching.

mjealey
08-12-2008, 08:02 PM
As I mentioned earlier I run the Snapper s150x. Exactly the same thing just without the suspension. Scag's are built very well and are great mowers, but the Ferris and Snappers are built just as well. I have 60 hrs. on mine and not a single thing has gone wrong with it. The 21 HP Kawi is a very strong motor. It has plenty of power for the mower and 48" deck. Have not tried to bag or mulch with it though. I would buy a Snapper Pro again without any hesitation. My dealer is great and if you do need to actually call Snapper support they are great to work with and will do anything for you. Don't be scared of Ferris or Snapper. Built very well. I took the $1,100.00 I saved buying the Snapper and bought a good commercial push mower and trimmer.

Can't go wrong with Ferris or Scag. You will be very happy with both.

Intricate
08-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't think there's a wrong answer here. All else being equal, let your experience with the respective dealers decide it one way or the other.

Or just flip a coin.

TomberLawn
08-12-2008, 10:09 PM
On the 1500Z it appear that the front of the deck is hanging from the frame and not the suspension like the 2000Z and larger models. Is this correct, and would the larger models have a better cut?

The deck is not suspended on the 1500, but it still doesn't scalp when the suspension flexes. Unless you hit a bad bump really fast, it cuts smooth.

And S man, I think this would qualify as a "full mulch kit." It's more than just a cover. The deck already has some baffling to control air flow.

S man
08-13-2008, 06:21 PM
The deck is not suspended on the 1500, but it still doesn't scalp when the suspension flexes. Unless you hit a bad bump really fast, it cuts smooth.

And S man, I think this would qualify as a "full mulch kit." It's more than just a cover. The deck already has some baffling to control air flow.

The guy told me it cuts bad. That's all I'm saying and my mower has the side baffle also instead of just the two other blades.

La_Cutter
08-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Does the Tiger Cub have anti-scalp wheels on the 48" and 61" decks?